1. I pwned U!

OP I pwned U! GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I just noticed that a ROM hack was made a few years ago, but the creator had to fix the hashes manually.

Perhaps @redunka can shed some light on the process for that game...

2. redunka

redunka GBAtemp Fan

Russia
    Yeah, I'm afraid that what I was doing for that hack, may not be really suitable for any serious project…
    The way was really hacky, like actually splitting the data into sectors and blocks, and calculating hashes for each piece.
    While that process can be automated, it's still not a good idea, as it may be quite slow and dangerous for HDD.

Actually, there was another DSiWare ROM hack released last December (the patch is here), by another guy.
    Though I haven't asked him myself, I heard that he used a custom build of Tinke, but I'm not sure if he wants to share it.
    He never uploaded it publicly, as far as I know, and he hasn't pushed the changes to his fork on GitHub either yet.

I'd really love to see proper tools for DSiWare ROM hacking myself.
    My hack was a small and simple by itself (I probably wouldn't even try otherwise), it didn't deserve a thread on its own.
    Just wanted to show it as a PoC, to bring more attention to DSiWare ROM hacking in general, but it kinda didn't work. :V

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    banjo2 and I pwned U! like this.
  3. redunka

redunka GBAtemp Fan

Russia
    Robz8 and I pwned U! like this.
  4. whywhy2

whywhy2 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    i thought i'd able to export and import animated dsiware icon with the new fork but no it's still a static icon and can only save it.
    well it works for editing the .loctext file in shantae risky's revenge (eur) with built in hex editor and i dont know how to edit the graphics. also metlob's fork only works in x64 windows if anyone wanna know

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  5. redunka

redunka GBAtemp Fan

Russia
    There's another tool that can be used to edit animated icons:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-messanimdsico-simple-nintendo-ds-icon-editor.440178/
    Also, I compiled the x86 version, but I can't test it, as the only x86 "PC" I have access to right now is a VM running WinXP (which is not supported by .NET Framework 4.5).

Edit: the x86 build is updated with latest commit.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Robz8 and I pwned U! like this.
  6. whywhy2

whywhy2 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Wow thank you so much for the icon editor, i should've search more for the tool.
    and your compiled x86 version works on my windows 7, but how do you compile it though? i thought there's no source code for the dsi tinke fork.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  7. redunka

redunka GBAtemp Fan

Russia
    Glad to know that it works. :)

As for the source code, the first link in my previous post is for MetLob's GitHub, the DSi changes are in the "DSi" branch:
    https://github.com/MetLob/tinke/tree/DSi
    If you have Git installed, you can clone the repo like this:
    Code:
    git clone --recursive https://github.com/MetLob/tinke.git -b DSi
    Then just run "compile.bat" and answer the prompts to configure the build.
    You must have .NET Framework 4.5 installed for this to work.

I pwned U! and whywhy2 like this.
  8. whywhy2

whywhy2 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    thank you so much for the fast reply and telling me how to build it with git, you really help me out for this.

redunka likes this.
  9. banjo2

banjo2 little man

United States
    I've been looking for a thread like this for a while. I'm trying to modify the web browser (I have my reasons) and couldn't figure out why a literal string change in a hex editor wasn't working. This explained a lot, and I hope we'll be able to modify DSiWare easily soon :)

I pwned U! likes this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - signature, TWL_FIRM), DSiWare