DSi XL Rage

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Sicklyboy, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Sicklyboy
    OP

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    I work at a Target, we had a few DSi XL Mario Kart DS special edition consoles left over from Christmas. Those went clearance, down to 125 bucks. Was gonna buy one bright and early today, and by the time I got there some guy came and bought ALL FIVE OF THEM. I am so fuckin pissed about it -_- and he went to the Target in the next town over and bought all of theirs, too.

Post similar rage stories, I just needed to vent.

~Nick

2. Schlupi

Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

Aug 31, 2007
    United States
    Rozen Queen Co, Chicago Branch
    WWWWHHHHHHAAAAAAT Bullshit. That's a crazy good deal.

Oh well. I bought mine and was able to get Sudokuhax on it no regrets.

Why would they sell them that cheap? Why not just down to the price of the other XLs?

Whatever.

3. The Pi

The Pi Lurker

Mar 18, 2010
    Scotland
    *googles dollars into pounds*

[​IMG] No wonder he bought them all, with a price that low.

4. Sicklyboy
    OP

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    Because it is a discontinued item (that package, that specific XL) and we have to get rid of discontinued items.

5. MaxNuker

MaxNuker GBATemp's Official Shinigami Substitute

Mar 21, 2011
    Portugal
    why didnt you just asked to keep one for you ? :S
    that's really bad :S

6. CherrySkitty

CherrySkitty GBAtemp Regular

Apr 3, 2011
    Ouch... sorry u.u, and that guy was crazy D=

7. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Well that's why you find the fucker in the parking lot and introduce his kneecaps to your baseball bat.

8. KingdomBlade

KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Apr 24, 2009
    In Vulpes' Fur
    I lol'd. [​IMG]

Once good games start coming out and the 3DS sales continue to be high, the DS will be a lot cheaper anyways. Just wait. [​IMG]

9. indask8

indask8 New Member Forever

Apr 19, 2007
    France
    Look at the Flag...
    This is why stores should limit number of console per person for that kind of discount.

They do this in many stores in my country (Yes it's hard to check, the person can come back again and again, or use another familly member).

10. Shockwind

Shockwind DIEEE!!!

Dec 10, 2010
    Japan
    You should have asked and reserve one for you so the man can't buy all 5 of them, just 4. And that guy was selfish and crazy 'cause he isn't thinking of others, he's just thinking of himself. [​IMG]

11. KingdomBlade

KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Apr 24, 2009
    In Vulpes' Fur
    You don't know that. Perhaps the man bought them for his siblings/children/friends/relatives/girlfriend/wife/boyfriend/husband/charity (we must be open about this), so you can't call him selfish until you know for sure. [​IMG] No one would actually buy that many for himself.

12. Skye07

Skye07 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 24, 2006
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Check eBay, bet he's selling them with a profit.

13. Shockwind

Shockwind DIEEE!!!

Dec 10, 2010
    Japan
    Maybe that's the reason why the man buy so many DSi XLs. But, maybe the man buy the DSi XLs for his 'gadget collection' or something like that. [​IMG]

14. ShawnTRods

ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    $125 + tax right?
    I am sure American people dont mention the tax when calling out a price [​IMG].

But buying ALL 5.. lol.

15. Hells Malice

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    "american people"
    I've never seen anyone bother to add tax to most prices, when it's easier to just give retail price and have people assume tax is not included.
    People are lazy.
    All people.

16. ShawnTRods

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    We europeans have the tax included. Our prices are always stated with the tax included unlike in the US.
    I have been in the US a few times and always messed up when shopping because I am not used to the pricing. Bought a bottle of watter which stated 99cents, so I have a dollar note ready and then all the sudden they ask for 1.10 [​IMG].
    Where as in the UK/Europe the tax is included in the price. You can see the tax on your receipt though.

17. Hells Malice

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Oh, adorable. I was in a candy store for kids once that added tax to the prices so kids wouldn't get confused.
    Handy if you can't do math in your head.

18. ShawnTRods

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    Its not about being able to do the math in your head. You are not paying for the item without tax are you? So why the fuck cant they bother putting up the whole price that we have to pay huh?
    Trying to be all smart ass.

Why the fuck would you put a price tag of $1 when we have to pay $1.10 in the first place huh?

19. Law

Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

Aug 14, 2007
    ‭jerkland
    Totally handy when some days the tax rate is 15%, some days 20%, and 17.5% on the third tuesday of every month but only if the year is divisible by 3.

20. mechagouki

mechagouki Kill 'em all...

Nov 20, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, ON
    I grew up in England but now live in Canada. Tax-in prices are not 'adorable', it's just an honest representation of an item's cost. Retailers are well aware that shoppers don't add the 13% HST we pay in Ontario whilst drooling over high-ticket items, and that's why the system persists, it good for the retailers and the government. Canada has all kinds of stupid tax law, you have to pay tax on used cars here - so if a car is sold 10 times during its lifetime the government cashes in every time, legally you are also supposed to pay tax on any money you earn from selling on eBay too!

Back on-topic. Discontinued special edition consoles very rapidly increase in value, it's just that major retailers have no way of cashing in on this - they can't sell at a premium because their agreements with manufacturers prohibit that, Also your average dept. store manager probably isn't aware of the concept of rare and collectible electronics. I bought a new Pikachu yellow GBA (toys'r'us special) for around $90 on eBay whilst they were still available, kept it for a year, used it and then sold it for close to $150. If that guy sits on those consoles for a while he'll make a decent profit, probably more so than other DS versions as the XL did not sell well.