Gaming DSi XL and the SD card.

MrWily

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere...

I just bought a DSi XL, upgraded from a well played DS Lite, and I'm new to the SD card slot. I was wondering if it was possible to run games(.nds roms) straight through the memory slot instead of buying a new flashcard?

I was thinking of buying a iSmart card...

777kidis777

Big Red
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To answer your question: it does run the ROMs directly off the DSi memory card slot, so you need a DSi flashcart. Best for that is either iSmart MM DS or the DSTWO.

MrWily

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe I was being vague, but what I'm wondering is if you can run the Wood software (or somthing similar) that I was running on my R4 for the DS lite, on a normal SD memory card and play the games without having to buy a iSmart or DSTWO flashcart?

I'm just trying to be cheap and practical with my piracy.
smile.gif

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
MrWily said:
Maybe I was being vague, but what I'm wondering is if you can run the Wood software (or somthing similar) that I was running on my R4 for the DS lite, on a normal SD memory card and play the games without having to buy a iSmart or DSTWO flashcart?

smile.gif

Call me when this happens.

The DSi will only read picture and mp3 data from your sd card. Since most flashcarts don't support DSimode yet even without support you would need a slot-1 flashcart to run anything.

Its like putting an sd card with wii isos. and trying to run them from the disk channel. assuming you didn't softmod your wii.

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MrWily said:

smile.gif

if you have fist revision R4 revolution , she don't work with dsi
on normal sd memory now hack is not work

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You cannot run games from the SD slot.
There is no soft mod.
A flash cart cannot access the SD slot.

The SD slot is of no use to homebrew or piracy at all in any way right now.

I mean FUCK, you're going to pirate a bunch of games anyways, just buy a DSTwo, it's less than the price of a single game.

rave420

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Arithmatics said:
The DSi will only read picture and mp3 data from your sd card. Since most flashcarts don't support DSimode yet even without support you would need a slot-1 flashcart to run anything.

last time i checked it could only read AAC files that were encoded meeting a certian standard, and picture files need to be written by your NDS in order to be read by it.
In other words, nintendo made it really hard to do anything good without a flashcard.

I own a NDSi and run all games with an R4 clone. So far i haven't had a single problem. but then again, my r4 clone runs AKAIO, which is kind of weird.

The problem is that once you load a game (or the processor initializes the hardware) you can no longer access your camera, SD card etc. unless you are in DSi mode (hence, the waiting for a card that supports this). Either way, you have to boot a flashcard in order to be able to load any roms. And once the flashcard is booted, you can no longer access your SD card. Hence the cards come with their own microSD chip.

and no, you absolutley cannot load comercial roms unless you own a flashcard. I suggest you do a lot of reading before you go buy one.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
monicawei said:
yes,it can work. as far as i'm concerned, dstwo, m3izero and ismartMM are a good choice.

I beg your pardon?
The question was whether or not commercial ROMs can be run from the SD card slot,
and NO at this moment they cannot be.

Try not to go providing false information.

"As far as I'm concerned" if you don't know what you're talking about, don't say anything at all

MrWily

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you for all the answers, so it's just a matter of time before we'll be able to boot the DSi menu from a flashcard?

QUOTE said:
The problem is that once you load a game (or the processor initializes the hardware) you can no longer access your camera, SD card etc. unless you are in DSi mode (hence, the waiting for a card that supports this). Either way, you have to boot a flashcard in order to be able to load any roms. And once the flashcard is booted, you can no longer access your SD card. Hence the cards come with their own microSD chip.

That's exactly why I want to run things from a simple SD card, so that I don't miss out on the DSi menu with all my DSi ware, camera etc. I just want everything in the same place. I don't remember ever going into the main menu while running my R4 on the ds lite, not that there was any reason to on that model, but still for convenience it would be nice to have the best of two worlds.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Wish I could use that for video editing lol