DSi XL and R4 Dual Core 2013

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Copywright, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Copywright
    OP

Copywright Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    Hey,

I just came across this site (too late, or else I wouldn't have bought this damn card), and I'm having some problems with R4 SDHC Dual Core 2013.

I downloaded the kernel off r4isdhc.com, and added the "games" folder like I was told to on this guide: http://www.dsflashcart.com/blog/how-to-use-r4i-sdhc-dual-core-2013-flashcart/ .

I put it onto my 4GB Transcend microSD, and put the card into my DSi XL (it's Super Mario edition, but I heavily doubt that makes a difference). The Spongebob icon immediately pops up, and I get a black screen with text that says: "Error has occured, etc.".

Is there any fix for this problem or some other kernel I can use for this R4 card?

2. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
  3. Copywright
    OP

Copywright Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    I keep reading everywhere that the cart supports current DSi firmware inherently, so there's no update. SO I'm guessing I'd have to wait?

Would running it on a DS Lite make a difference in this case?

4. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    What they mean depends. Flash cart teams and stores will say "This cart supports it directly!" when they actually mean "This new version that you should buy from us supports it directly!" because they don't want to be caught saying "This product doesn't work", so they word it strangely.

It would allow you to run the cart, which would allow you to run an update if there is one.

5. Copywright
    OP

Copywright Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    These updates are strictly cart-specific, right? So say, an update for a r4i-sdhc card wouldn't work just the same?

EDIT: Also, the cart would work fine on DS Lite then, supporting DSi games also?

6. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Correct. Firmware updates are encrypted and cart-specific, in fact if a team puts out multiple revisions then even one cart from a site won't work with updates for a different cart from the same site.

And boy oh boy do some team (R4-SDHC in particular) put out a lot of models instead of updating the old ones.

7. Copywright
    OP

Copywright Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 20, 2013
    United States

Man, you're really efficient. Thanks for the fast replies. Would you please answer my edit above, though?

Thanks.

8. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Flash carts that work on the 3DS/DSi should work fine on the DS/Lite.

DSi ROMs only run as if they were in a DS, of course. No camera usage (obviously), no extra DSi features, etc. Also no DSiware can be played anywhere on anything, just noting that.