DSi with extra RAM//

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Confirmation of something we already knew and lacking any information making it worthwhile.
i.e. A number

Snore.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
before anyone brings it up

no, extra ram will not allow the DSi to play GBA games off the SD card/ whatever or a N64 emu
its impossible with the current DS's CPU

paul3100

Trophies
XP
Country
yep the DSi isn't going to be any better than the light tbh , gbatemp members always hype the h*ll out of everything and when the item in question comes along its always a big disappointment! line rider ds anyone! thought not

Anyway as far as we all know the only differences are, camera x2 , sd slot , bit bigger screens ... meh

And a killer is no gba slot so actually i would prefer to stick with the dslite, unless of course the sd can be used to store vast amounts of ds games/music/movies and so on.

paul

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
paul3100 said:
yep the DSi isn't going to be any better than the light tbh , gbatemp members always hype the h*ll out of everything and when the item in question comes along its always a big disappointment! line rider ds anyone! thought not

Anyway as far as we all know the only differences are, camera x2 , sd slot , bit bigger screens ... meh

And a killer is no gba slot so actually i would prefer to stick with the dslite, unless of course the sd can be used to store vast amounts of ds games/music/movies and so on.

paul
well it might be possible to connect your flashcart with the SD card, but I am 99% sure it will have larger RAM.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
We know at least part of the GBA hardware is still present. DS games require it.

The unknown element here is how much remains.

If Nintendo just removed the physical slot and mapped 32MB of RAM to the memory addresses normally taken by a GBA cart; it might be possible to copy a ROM file into that RAM, then switch to GBA mode. Although saving probably wouldn't work.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
This is no different than the DS Browser RAM expansion cart, it's just built-in.

Come on you guys they announced the browser was built-in. I thought it was obvious there's a RAM upgrade.

@ Haruhi it's already possible to redirect to the DS slot's hardware address in GBA mode, isn't it? It'd just be retarded to atm.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Actually, with a well written hyperviser GBA games can be run in NDS mode but without 32MB of RAM too store the rom in, you'd need to buffer the rom into ram in chunks and with the current NDS this is worthless as you'd be raping the ram, which means very slow load times and well writting a hypervisor isnt exactly easy.

EDIT: just remembered, that unless the new processer has an MMU then it's unlikely the 32MB of ram will be put too good use. I do hope nintendo mapped the ram to the old gba slot in memory as that'd make a hypervisor possible.

loopguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
but doesn't gba mode require the gba bios? i'm pretty sure big-n won't implement it, so some sort of "hacking" will be needed...

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still think their plan will be to SELL you GBA games as downloads. One major improvement to the browser will be the ability to download.....how else will DSware stuff work?

Also, the RAM will be used for the exclusive DSware downloads that they already announced to be coming. Sure, you'd have to download the file to the SD card, but it will likely run in the extra RAM space.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
loopguy said:
but doesn't gba mode require the gba bios? i'm pretty sure big-n won't implement it, so some sort of "hacking" will be needed...
Even if they do they can just include the files with the games themselves.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
The Nintendo DS firmware was dumped as a ROM. I wonder if we can dump the DSi firmware make it into an app and hack it to use the EZ 3in1. If it's a faster browser, I want it.

Doggy124

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thailand
Searinox said:
The Nintendo DS firmware was dumped as a ROM. I wonder if we can dump the DSi firmware make it into an app and hack it to use the EZ 3in1. If it's a faster browser, I want it.

I don't think the browser (and DS sound) is in the FW.
Nintendo said it will available to download for free.

or maybe it pre-installed on the system

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.