DSi screen randomly cracked. Still runs but top screen is unusable.

Yulian_guardsman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
So I have a mario dsi XL and at some point I opened it up one day to see a nice crooked line across the top lcd and a lot of black lines protruding from it whenever It was powered on. It really sucks because Flipnote was the only reason this thing got any use from me.

I have no idea how the hell this happened and its been like this for years. Is there any way I can send it into Nintendo to be repaired? I recall seeing stories about how they sometimes fix original NES systems and am just worried about it getting stolen since Nintendo past 2017 is not the Nintendo under Iwata that would do those kinds of pro-customer services.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nintendo might help you but it will cost you...
You can replace the screen yourself if you're handy. Of all the gameboys this might be the hardest screen to replace: it even requires a bit of soldering. https://nl.ifixit.com/Guide/Nintendo+DSi+XL+Upper+LCD+Replacement/3577
It will cost you about 15€ and a couple of hours work.

Good luck!
The hardest part in my opinion isn't the soldering work in this case. Fairly big solder points.
Harder is getting the ribbon cables through the hinge without tearing them (and having a brand new screen ruined).
=========

I didn't do it yet on DSi, but on DS Lite and 3DS and can say: This is not for the faint of heart.

Independent, local repair shops might be an option if you're not confident doing the repair yourself..

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Random cracked like black lines and so could be moisture/corrosion. if really broken and it can't be because of a fall it could be too quick of temperature change.
Either way, replacing the screen ain't that hard to do yourself if you can find the tools, but if the hinges (or just one of them) are broken, it will be a difficult task.
See https://nl.ifixit.com/Device/Nintendo_DSi_XL for instructions.

Deleted member 591971

Trophies
XP
yeah just get a used nintendo ds, repair isn't worth it (it costs you more to repair but if you care about the enviroment then fix it.) also note: nintendo won't help.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Had this happen to my launch NDSi (which was safely in a drawer and unmoved overnight before being discovered to have broken) and people didn't believe me because LCD's just breaking like this is pretty rare. Sorry that happened to you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte