Gaming DSi Region lock related question

stonegolem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a DSi region lock related question.

I used to live in Canada and I bought my DSi when it first came out in Canada. I also bought lots of games including some from Nintendo DSi shop.

Now, I have returned back to my country which is in Europe. And today I bought 3 EU version games. 2 of them were DSi enhanced games (Assassin's Creed II and Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands) These DSi enhanced games didn't work on my US DSi

I wrote this issue to Nintendo, but I don't believe that, those guys come with a solution. They will only say "DSi titles has region lock because of these reasons. Have a nice day. And can we help you on other topics?. etc. etc."

I decided to ask this to this community just in case if some other users might encounter and solve this issue.

Is there a way to make them work on my DSi ?

(I also have a Acekard 2i and I can play those games by using that flashcard, but I want to use DSi features. I wish I could change the Region of my DSi)

Thank you.

D

Deleted User

It's not possible to change the region of your DSi (at least, at the moment). Therefore you won't be able to play the games in DSi mode (with the DSi enhanced features).

Maybe you can try to sell the games and import them from Canada/US. Not the best solution, I know, but at least they would work.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nope. As said, there's no way to change the region of your DSi or get DSi exclusive games to work on it if it's not the region of your DSi. Your best bet would be to import them from canada.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
another option is to buy a new DSi, or hold onto the games untill the 3DS comes out which should be able to play those games.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
stonegolem said:
Thank you guys,

Since there is no way to change DSi region at the moment, then I will keep them until 3DS comes.
I think it's unlikely the 3DS will play out-of-region DSi games.

stonegolem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I will buy 3DS from my region so it should play those EU region games.
The rest can stay with my old DSi

but I think it's too early for me to dream of a 3DS since these systems always arrive 1 year later than release date to my country...

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Why not buy a flashcard and download the games?

After all, you did buy them, so technically you're allowed to have "backups".

stonegolem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have AceKard2i I can play them. I just wanted to see the DSi features.
Actually I will try to run the game with AceKard and swap AceKard2i with actual cart to see if it can bypass the lock.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
stonegolem said:
I have AceKard2i I can play them. I just wanted to see the DSi features.
Actually I will try to run the game with AceKard and swap AceKard2i with actual cart to see if it can bypass the lock.
DSi has a feature that the moment you swap cart DSi immediately goes back into the menu. It is there to prevent people dumping DS game.

stonegolem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yup.

I also tried but, game and/or menu screen got frozen and nothing happened when I insert the real cartridge...

well, at least the 3rd game I bought was not DSi enhanced game and I can play it ^^
New Zealand Story... remake of a platformer game from my childhood C64 days...

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
O.o wait, you mean the DSi is really region locked? Why did they make such a stupid thing??

And since region locks exist then on the DS after all (or at least the DSi) - does that really mean that when you connect with a game for the first time to Wi-Fi and it asks you if you'd like to treat your DS and the cart as a set, that you cannot go to Wi-Fi with the game inserted in another DS?

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Fel said:
O.o wait, you mean the DSi is really region locked? Why did they make such a stupid thing??

And since region locks exist then on the DS after all (or at least the DSi) - does that really mean that when you connect with a game for the first time to Wi-Fi and it asks you if you'd like to treat your DS and the cart as a set, that you cannot go to Wi-Fi with the game inserted in another DS?
no, that means in order to use a game on another DS you need to reset the friendcode(and with it perhaps some multiplayer stats)
the region lock simply means imported DSi enhanced/DSi only games won't work on a locally bought DSi

Cuber

Trophies
Website
mytgn.co.uk
XP
Country
So DSi enhanced games do not work at all on other region DSi.. do they work at all on a DS lite or original?

I am rather curious about the reasons they gave to.... why suddenly now do they need to region lock their handhelds.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Original DS/DS Lite does not check region. So DSi enhanced game will work on them regardless of its region.

DSi checks region though. So DSi enhanced game only works on corresponding DSi region.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the region lock is because they want to tie the pegi/esrb rating to the parental lock system, but different regions rate games differently.

stonegolem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got an answer from Nintendo.
As I guessed, they didn't provide any kind of solution

But they said, in the future even regular DS games might become region locked. (or it's what I understood from their e-mail)

I don't want to copy/paste his e-mail to here because I respect their privacy even they don't respect our rights... But in short terms, he warned me not to buy imported games for DSi system because they won't work. That's all.

edit:
typo fix

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs