Homebrew DSi - Prehaps it could manage low graphics N64 Games?

wildfire95

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Since the DSi will apprently be "more powerfull", could it be possible to emulate some of the older, less graphic games on the N64 onto the DSi?

Or if someone was to "down" the graphics so that they didnt need as much as the original N64 games would demand on a DS.

Any ideas?

joe joe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DSi is capable of better graphics.
we just haven't seen any exclusive DSi games.

The DSi has a 133 MHz processors and 16mb of RAM

the DS has two processors. one 67 MHz and one 33 MHz
The DS has 4mb of Ram.

The improved power of the DSi will probably make us have perfect emulation for SNES
but I don't think perfect N64 emulation is possible. If a team of homebrewers worked
on it they might be able to get a couple of games to run but I don't think it'll run at full speed.
The PSP has a 333 MHz processor and its N64 emulator still isn't perfect.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nope, impossible.

n64 emulation is still sketchy on PC. the DSi doesn't have a 64 bit processor for a start; which, helps immensely when emulating a 64 bit system, which explains why PC n64 emulators require far more power than the PC PS1 emulators

Dr. Canuck

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
UltraMagnus said:
nope, impossible.

n64 emulation is still sketchy on PC. the DSi doesn't have a 64 bit processor for a start; which, helps immensely when emulating a 64 bit system, which explains why PC n64 emulators require far more power than the PC PS1 emulators
Plus, lack of buttons!!

wildfire95

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ah well, it should add extra power for the other consoles i suppose
smile.gif

Malamear

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well if a PS1 emulator takes less power, would it be possible? I've always wanted to play FF7 on my ds, but haven't been able to get anyone to try. I'm bad with computers or I would try myself. But is PS1 possible?

updowners

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Malamear said:
well if a PS1 emulator takes less power, would it be possible? I've always wanted to play FF7 on my ds, but haven't been able to get anyone to try. I'm bad with computers or I would try myself. But is PS1 possible?

simple answer: nope

misanthrope

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
What about a Gameboy Advance emulator? Sure GBA slot is gone but with extra processing power and RAM maybe GBA emulation should be more feasible?

I mean if SNES emulation its likely to improve then GBA emulation outta be at least possible.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We won't really know until we can gain access to the DSi's updated hardware to see what it can do. Until it gets cracked, we'll only have the same resources we've had all along with the DS.

MG4M3R

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The DSi is powerfull enough to emulate PS1 games, but probably will be far from perfect...

PSP emulates PS1 because was build based on it, like the Wii is based on the Game Cube.

Sega CD and 32X emulation would be cool =D

GBA is possible too.

QUOTE said:
Until it gets cracked, we'll only have the same resources we've had all along with the DS.

True.

We know that officially the DSi has been cracked, but the info was not released yet for some reason.

Rumors are saying that the exploit already found would turn possible play DS games without a Flashcard, but for some reason (probably related to the fact you can play without having to buy a FlashCard) they have not released the information yet.

houseonfire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last time i checked the console that is emulating another console has to be at least 4x stronger than the console being emulated.

Sir-Fritz

Trophies
XP
Country
houseonfire said:
Last time i checked the console that is emulating another console has to be at least 4x stronger than the console being emulated.
I heard about 8x but yeah stuff like psone to psp doesnt need 8 cause their sorta similar systems.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sir-Fritz said:
houseonfire said:
I heard about 8x but yeah stuff like psone to psp doesnt need 8 cause their sorta similar systems.
There is no "magic number" like that. It depends on a multitude of factors, including the CPU architecture type, availability of RAM, special hardware on either side, etc. As an example, SNES emulation on the DS is mostly only accomplished because the SNES's graphics hardware is similar enough to the DS's dedicated 2D hardware that graphics commands can be quickly translated between the two, so slow software emulation isn't needed. Same with Genesis emulation (compare hardware-rendering jEnesisDS with software-rendering PicoDriveDS). Other systems (like the N64) might not have anything in common with the DS's 2D hardware, so such a technique would not work.

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
hey!!
i got an idea!!
why dont we hire bill gates to hack in to nintendo's servers, grab all the n64's game's source code
and port them to the ds!!!

its almost like asking this.
asking people to do the impossible

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
fgghjjkll said:
hey!!
i got an idea!!
why dont we hire bill gates to hack in to nintendo's servers, grab all the n64's game's source code
and port them to the ds!!!

its almost like asking this.
asking people to do the impossible
Kinda offtopic, but do you guys think that nintendo still has like, the source codes of all these old games?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte