DSi mode on Acekard2i in the future with updatable kernal?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Jakob95, May 6, 2009.

1. Jakob95
    OP

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    I got a question for you guys. In the future when DSi games come out will the Acekard2i support those games. I am asking this because maybe soon someone would find out how to use the extra ram in the DSi and the camera and then there will be a new flash card that will work with those features. But will the Acekard have up datable kernels that will allow it to use the DSi mode on the Acekard2i or I have to buy a new card? Also another question I have heard someone was making a DSi homebrew channel so it will allow the DSi play DS or GBA games straight from the SD card, does that mean I don't even have to buy myself a flashcard if theres going to be a DSi homebrew channel and I could wait as long as I want.

2. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    It all just depends on alot of things. It may be possible for them to just send out an update...but you never know they may make you buy a new one to make more money.

3. Tokiopop

Member Tokiopop Caffeine fiend

United Kingdom
    The hardware of DSi games maybe very different, and will most probably require a new flash card with updated hardware and software.

I think this is why there's no CycloDSi. They could make one, but I believe they're waiting for DSi games. So they can make their flash card the only one to support DSi games, and possibly DSi Ware. Everyone will flood to buy one.

4. Pavichokche

Newcomer Pavichokche Advanced Member

Canada
    I doubt that they will just enable DSi mode with a kernel update, since the heart of the problem lies in the hardware of the Acekard 2i, not the firmware.

5. Jakob95
    OP

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    I guess I will just wait until there going to make a a flash card that will allow DSi support.

6. Uruha

Member Uruha GBAtemp Regular

United States
    awww
    damn, now ill have a acekard 2, Ak2i, and the future AK! ill be broke

7. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    Seeing as the AceKard is less than $10, the AceKard Dsi is less than $20, and I'm going to assume the new AK would be under $30, you need to get a job, that's less than the cost of 2 $30 DS games.

8. Parablank

Member Parablank GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Who's the author of the homebrew channel? And I think they're just going to update the fw.

9. david432111

Member david432111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Denmark
    A Flashcart will NEVER be able to run in dsi mode because of the fact that the cards are all launched in ds mode.

10. Tokiopop

United Kingdom
    And the DSi game that's coming out in June that uses the DSi's cameras? If it's using DSi features, such as the RAM, cameras etc then it is in DSi mode. Why spew out bullshit like 'dur is no susch ting as dsI moed!!oneoneone2!!'. God damn.

Once there's a DSi game, there can be DSi flashcarts.

11. Islay

Member Islay GBAtemp Fan

Ireland
    I have alway wondered what will make a dsi cart differnt then a Ds 1 as nintendo them selfs know the there wont be exclusives yet, only Games with Dsi functions so a car game with a camra fuction or some bull like that, the only way they could do this is by not full changeing the cart but by, mostlikely add an exrea layer of code that only the dsi can read and the rest will just be DS code so lite users will still be able to play. so my guess is all Dsi exclusive game will have a ds version on them to for atlest the next year or so because whos going to make an exclusive when they can target 2 markets, it make so sence yet, to make a DSi only game as most people still have the DS lite and most wont buy a new console for 1 exclusive game unless it kingdom heart or something really cool.

12. Tokiopop

United Kingdom
    Even simple DSi 'enhanced' games will open up the DSi mode for homebrew and flashcart possibilitie, I should think.

13. Islay

Member Islay GBAtemp Fan

Ireland
    Maybe Shatter,maybe

Also anyone with the extra ram + the know how to over clock to there DS lite should be able to handle any game that require more power.
    So any exclusive *power wise* will likely be playable on a lite, and once people know how then its just a camera mod like the old game boys and u will be playing Dsi exclusive in no time, as well as the DSi, and you could even rig a better camera up the the 2 it currently has. the only problem would be cooling.

14. Tokiopop

United Kingdom
    Using the cameras with Lameboy to emulate the old GameBoy Camera would be awesome.

15. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    It really depends on how the DSi recognizes DS from DSi games. If it's a physical difference in cartridge (like GBC to GBA) then the possibility is diminished somewhat. If it's hardware (a connotation in the rom header for example) it should be completely possible that a firmware update could handle it.

Let's not forget too, that either way there still could be work arounds. Many people still play DS games from their GBA slot through either a passme, or through flashme... A similar exploit could be found for older "DSi" compatible cards.

16. benaimi15

Banned benaimi15 Banned

United States
    this is just a test post thnxs.

17. Islay

Member Islay GBAtemp Fan

Ireland
    It would , nindy will most likely make i a Dsi ware game of it sooner or later.

buy my point was, with the right know how u can hardware mod a DSL or phat DS into a Dsi.

18. sprogurt

Member sprogurt GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Most likely there will be a command in the header telling the dsi to launch in ds or dsi mode. Since all cards have been written for ds mode they would need to come out with a new model. (Also i wouldn't hope for a gba emulator for dsi anytime soon. DSi uses both screens at all times. If one screen isn't being fed any information at anytime surely it would crash)

19. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    but most current dsi flashcarts (later model ak2is, ez5i, supercard ds1i etc..) have writable flashroms (may not be the right word [​IMG]) so they could be updated to work in dsi mode. this has been proven with ak2i fixing the english language problem with a .nds flashing update.

20. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I again bring up precedent... The original SuperCard for GBA used a firmware update to have the header altered. This altered header allowed for auto-booting in DS mode when in a flashme'd DS. As long as the header information isn't hard coded, then there is no reason why if the DSi's require merely a special header notation that the current flash cards couldn't do it.

I'm not so sure nintendo would go that simple of a route, however. Nintendo may use the common key of the new DSi to encrypt these DSi only/compatible games in which case we may not be able to run them outside of native DS mode unless we have the key cracked by then.