Homebrew DSi LL + iPlayer + GBA Emu

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If i'am up-to-date, there is just one GBA Emulator available and this one only works on the iPlayer, right?
lecture.gif

I guess this Emulator only runs slow (with sound?) and only with frameskip.

Does anyone know if this emulator can stretch or enlarge the GBA Screen to the full dimensions of the NDS Screen? Or even to the dimensions of the DSi LL Screen?

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bonny said:
If i'am up-to-date, there is just one GBA Emulator available and this one only works on the iPlayer, right?
lecture.gif

I guess this Emulator only runs slow (with sound?) and only with frameskip.

Does anyone know if this emulator can stretch or enlarge the GBA Screen to the full dimensions of the NDS Screen? Or even to the dimensions of the DSi LL Screen?
it should.the DS is smaller than DSi,so it's easier to scale.DSi LL scales DS/DSi games,so it should run fine too

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well... *smarter now*

@ lolzed: You really mean it could be possible to play GBA Games using the whole DSi LL Screen, without black boarders or anything like that? - Would be great!

Does anyone of you think, this Emu will be iPlayer exclusiv forever or other manufactures will follow, adding the "Extra-Hardware"... maybe Supercard TWO?

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bonny said:
Well... *smarter now*

@ lolzed: You really mean it could be possible to play GBA Games using the whole DSi LL Screen, without black boarders or anything like that? - Would be great!

Does anyone of you think, this Emu will be iPlayer exclusiv forever or other manufactures will follow, adding the "Extra-Hardware"... maybe Supercard TWO?
yes.I am 99% sure it will go on full screen not pixelated.If it was then DS games would be crappy on it.

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
OK.

But... do you mean with 99%, it is possible to realize it -OR- the current release of the Emu already supports this?!

On a video i saw Mario Kart GBA runnig on a DS Lite WITH Black Boarders. And if it is so easy to scale... why was it never possible to use the whole DS, DSLite Screen with original GBA Carts?
wacko.gif

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bonny said:
OK.

But... do you mean with 99%, it is possible to realize it -OR- the current release of the Emu already supports this?!

On a video i saw Mario Kart GBA runnig on a DS Lite WITH Black Boarders. And if it is so easy to scale... why was it never possible to use the whole DS, DSLite Screen with original GBA Carts?
wacko.gif
built in DSi LL.since the screens were bigger and games used to run in small screens,its only natural to make a driver/watever you call it to make it nice looking right?or would you like to play a game pixelated were you cant understand a thing?or did Ninty make a scam for people who wanted bigger screens for gaming so they would have big screens but still small games?
smileipb2.png

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regular GBA games can't use the extra resolution because they have no idea that the extra screen space is even there. Remember that when running GBA cartridges, you're essentially running the game on a GBA built into the console. Any DS-specific features are shut off entirely, including the extra screen space. Note that there is a slight quirk in that if you set a specific bit of memory in DS mode first, you can place a border on the screen before launching a GBA game, and it will show for as long as the DS is powered on, but it's a purely static image, and the GBA file can't access that memory once it's been loaded.

When emulating a console, of course you gain the ability to do things with the video output, such as scaling the screen to fit the host console's full resolution. To be perfectly honest I have no idea if the current GBA emulator for the iPlayer does this on its own. However, I would imagine that it would look pretty bad if it tried to do that. Think about it - you're only gaining an extra 8 pixels on either side, and 16 pixels on both the top and bottom. Scaling at that point would just mean doubling a very small number of rows and columns to fill the empty space, and it would look pixelly and jagged. You could probably apply some sort of filtering to make it less jagged (at the cost of speed, since any filtering will take up some CPU power), but it still probably wouldn't look too good.

The DSi LL wouldn't change anything about this issue. The screens are larger, yes, but this is accomplished by having physically larger pixels. It still has the same resolution of 256x192 pixels per screen, so scaling up from the GBA's 240x160 screen would still be slightly awkward.

sfg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, this "Nintendo will do it" is pretty funny.
No, they'll not do anything about GBA games because they have no reason to. GBA games are not supported by the DSi LL.
If the DS games are scaled to look good has nothing to do with GBA games which would run into an emulator.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.