DSi frimware updates! cause for alarm?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by zaanco, Mar 28, 2009.

Mar 28, 2009
  1. zaanco
    OP

Newcomer zaanco Newbie

United States
    I was watching a video on youtube about the new features on the DSi. The IGN reviewer mentioned, but didn't go into detail about firmware updates. I was wondering has anybody a better understanding of the way firmware updates work, could this be cause for concern?

What i understand so far is, the DS flashcarts no longer work with the DSi. Also Acekards quick fix to the problem worries me, what if the only problem was an access list on the DSi firmware. Potentially wouldn't that mean with ever firmware update there could be a new write to that list denying function to flashcarts. I really wish I knew more about the specifics of how the DSi disabled the flashcarts, but if Nintendo did simple add security software there could be a very big potential for problems. Remember this is all assumption on my part, i could simple be overreacting, but Microsoft does force updates before you can get on live couldn't Nintnedo.

Does anyone have any insight?

p.s. Sorry if this topic has already been beaten to death, I may have jumped the gun when I saw the video.

2. ball2012003

ball2012003 Newbie

the only way it updates id if you update it yourself by actually making it update because you want to
    there is no other way
    i think

3. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    It's been "beaten to death." Look it up more using the search function. But just to sum it up real quick. We don't have a real clue of what Nintendo will do. But we do know they can stop flash carts with a firmware update and they want to.

4. zaanco
    OP

Newcomer zaanco Newbie

United States
    Thanks for the info, and hopefully this thread won't reignite any old fires. I'll be sure to do some more research before posting next time.

5. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    I don't know, Nintendo might be like Sony and require updates for newer games or even auto update (or try to) when you turn your DSi on.

We don't know yet. But hopefully we might get some custom firmware going like the PSP. Maybe we should go ask Dark_Alex?