DSi Flashcarts will be practically useless

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a lot of speculation about what protection the DSi has for DSi mode so it may not be nearly as bad as some are thinking. I wouldn't doubt if there were a save game exploit for DSi only games that would allow arbitrary code to be executed in DSi mode.. Thus leading to Wii type-hacks and hopefully softmods/CFW. There's probably a lot more progress being accomplished in private than we know.
smile.gif

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cracker said:
There's a lot of speculation about what protection the DSi has for DSi mode so it may not be nearly as bad as some are thinking. I wouldn't doubt if there were a save game exploit for DSi only games that would allow arbitrary code to be executed in DSi mode.. Thus leading to Wii type-hacks and hopefully softmods/CFW. There's probably a lot more progress being accomplished in private than we know.
smile.gif

Yes I realize that, but DSi mode flashcarts are different from softmods. This topic is saying that DSi mode flashcarts won't be able to run homebrew that uses the DSi's cameras because it will need to be signed to be able to be played.

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jackdanielchan said:
The only other person who might have the DSi common-key is Yasu... And well, we haven't seen much of him have we?
thats not true,prove that he has it,i haven't exactly heard that he really has the common key,if your pointing about his video(i think it was him),it could have been faked

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lolzed said:
jackdanielchan said:
The only other person who might have the DSi common-key is Yasu... And well, we haven't seen much of him have we?
thats not true,prove that he has it,i haven't exactly heard that he really has the common key,if your pointing about his video(i think it was him),it could have been faked

Don't freak out he didn't say he did have it he just said he might have it.

Right now I'm pretty sure no one has the common key.

popoffka

Trophies
Website
popoffka.ru
XP
Country
I think, that this signing will be hacked pretty soon.

Wasn't there the same thing with Wii? As I remember, there also were some crap with signing.

And also, I think that maybe, it's possible to do something like PassMe, so it will authenticate with DSi-only game's key and then boot something else(flashcart, for example)?

Zantheo

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
At least DSI flashcarts can play normal DS roms. That's what most people are buying them for anyway.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeltaBurnt said:
cracker said:
smile.gif

Yes I realize that, but DSi mode flashcarts are different from softmods. This topic is saying that DSi mode flashcarts won't be able to run homebrew that uses the DSi's cameras because it will need to be signed to be able to be played.

But what I'm saying is that after the initial check for DSi mode to be 'unlocked' with a commercial game then it may be possible that homebrew booted through a TP style save exploit may be able to have full access to the DSi hardware. Hopefully this would be the case and there wouldn't be more than just a check upon booting the commercial game...

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
popoffka said:

Wasn't there the same thing with Wii? As I remember, there also were some crap with signing.

And also, I think that maybe, it's possible to do something like PassMe, so it will authenticate with DSi-only game's key and then boot something else(flashcart, for example)?

Yes there was the trucha bug that allowed you to install un signed channels. However it's not really the signing that needs to be hacked, we just need a homebrew channel that already has access to dsi mode to tell thee DSi to run code. Also I doubt there's another trucha bug in the DSi.

Zantheo said:
At least DSI flashcarts can play normal DS roms. That's what most people are buying them for anyway.

Yah but there's alot of noobs out there asking why they can't play dsi ware roms on their acekard
dry.gif

cracker said:
DeltaBurnt said:
QUOTE(cracker @ Oct 31 2009, 04:39 PM)
smile.gif

But what I'm saying is that after the initial check for DSi mode to be 'unlocked' with a commercial game then it may be possible that homebrew booted through a TP style save exploit may be able to have full access to the DSi hardware. Hopefully this would be the case and there wouldn't be more than just a check upon booting the commercial game...

Yes well I suppose they could do this, but that's basically a passmi but even more annoying. It'd just be easier to take that exploit and install the homebrew channel.

EDIT: Huge mistake in the first post, the games are not signed by the common key they are signed by a different key that only Nintendo has access to.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeltaBurnt said:
Yes well I suppose they could do this, but that's basically a passmi but even more annoying. It'd just be easier to take that exploit and install the homebrew channel.

That's what I was saying in my previous post... It will probably come down to a TP -> HBC like exploit (hopefully).
wink.gif

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
i dont think this is very threatening... anything can be hacked unless it is using different language or something (i dont know) by which a person cannot meddle around with anything or else there is always a way esp since it's nintendo, they are not as good as others (like sony) but they did good nonetheless
i dont know how they will do it but they surely CAN

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
shakirmoledina said:
i dont think this is very threatening... anything can be hacked unless it is using different language or something (i dont know) by which a person cannot meddle around with anything or else there is always a way esp since it's nintendo, they are not as good as others (like sony) but they did good nonetheless
i dont know how they will do it but they surely CAN

Yah but it's a private key only Nintendo has access too, it's not so much intimidating as it is "ah let's just go back to the original plan, a homebrew channel".

worlok375

GBAtemp's prince
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
popoffka said:

Well if something was authenticated with the game key and it ran what then? Would the flashcart require extra firmware combined with this code to be able to run the homebrew?

By the way popoffka KURUMU FOR THE WIN!!!!

popoffka

Trophies
Website
popoffka.ru
XP
Country
worlok375 said:
popoffka said:

Well if something was authenticated with the game key and it ran what then? Would the flashcart require extra firmware combined with this code to be able to run the homebrew?

By the way popoffka KURUMU FOR THE WIN!!!!
I thought about something that will work like iPhone ProxySIM(or how it's called) works - when console needs authenticate information(that secret key) it directs the request to original game card, when anything else is requested - it's directed to a flashcart. About the need for extra firmware for flashcarts - i don't really know, maybe any cart will work, maybe you'll have to install some special DSi-only firmware, in fact, I'm not a coder and I don't really know much about all those things, I'm just suggesting my ideas.

And about Kurumu - yeah, she's soooo cute
happy.gif

stab244

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing that I would care about is loading from SD card slot... But no flashcart manufacturer will want the Common Key leaked since then they would lose their business.

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about the M3i Zero, couldn't it be flashed as a DSi game? Not 100% on this but I'm sure there are more in depth checks the dsi does for the dsi games than just DS games. But that could work couldn't it?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is this topic User Submitted News? This isn't anything but essentially theorycrafting, from what I'm guessing. News is if you learn the latest Zelda title is called Oracle of Sausages or something, not "well, I'm thinking that this might happen..."

And who fucking cares if there's not DSi-game flashcarts. I don't think there's a single game worth half my spit that uses DSi features. Most game developers will either settle with a regular game with DSi features or a standard DS game. It's common logic. If you've got 3 people buying food from you and 2 of them have pots with small holes in them, you're not going to sell only soup. Yeah, that was a horrible metaphor but I'm too lazy and incompetent to think of another one.

It's a fact that I doubt anyone will care about. The only reason people are making such a big fuss over this is because they want to show off their hacking cocks and because when you put a title like "DSI FLASHCARTS WILL BE PRACTICALLY USELESS", people want to shoot it down.

Also, change the fucking title. It sounds like "Nintendo will update all DSi's without your consent so they will never ever ever use any type of flashcart ever".

Jesus Christ...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also wb
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Uh oh... Here comes the noise
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Wow the one who uploaded the pizza tower ost got hacked
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    honestly pizza tower is basically wario land 4 but speed, and it seems like antonblast is wario land 4 with destruction
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Wait.. @Xdqwerty brought that link here to Our site, knowing it's been HACKED! :angry::angry:
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Antonblast is more optimized than pizza tower
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    My phone has 13% battery
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And i'm not in my house so i can't use my PC
  • linuxares @ linuxares:
    gasp you need to touch grass instead of using the phone!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @linuxares, I already touched grass years ago
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You mean the doctors hands when you were just being born?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Us 40-50+ yr olds made it without phones or internet, and now kids freak out without having either. We would roll marbles for fun, no joke!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, I played a little bit of snowday I'd say it's worth $10
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Then i should kill myself for being young
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty whatever, lets be a little more dramatic. I'm just saying times have changed
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Talk about suicide really should be in the tos it's getting a little out of control in the shitbox I get people go through things but it's really a sensitive subject that shouldn't really be public
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty Did you ever talk to your grandma or big brother about your feelings? If not you def should. It's ok, nobody is hating on you, you just should not be afraid to ask for help. Everybody at some time in they life goes thru things, and most are afraid to ask for help, but you should.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You could get some asshole in here that's all like do it do it and someone actually does why it should really be against the rules imo
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i'm too coward :cry:
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, i'm too coward :cry: