DSi firmware 1.4 blocks flashcards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Placeholder

Trophies
XP
Country
mrfatso said:
i am pretty interested in this faster camera thing, what do they mean by this? and photo upload, i guess this means that in future u can upload your junk to the net using your DSi? :S

Only to facebook
tongue.gif

BlazerRazor

Trophies
XP
Country
It's a firmware update (software) and the M3i Zero is likely to be able to handle this without much sweat. As long as no hardware is upgraded it will not be a problem... it's just software update vs. software update - that means this can go on forever with updates rivalling each other.

I am sure the M3 team will fix this problem.

SonicRax

Egg-Mayo: The Movie
Trophies
XP
Country
... Crap. Well, we knew it had to happen eventually. Here's hoping some kind of workaround is found, but for now, we have to avoid that update like the plague. xD

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
no it doesnt, all flashcards are blocked with this update.

lets see how much the supercard/m3 usb adapter is worth...

Placeholder

Trophies
XP
Country
BlazerRazor said:
It's a firmware update (software) and the M3i Zero is likely to be able to handle this without much sweat. As long as no hardware is upgraded it will not be a problem... it's just software update vs. software update - that means this can go on forever with updates rivalling each other.

Unfortunately, it can't go on forever. Imagine the DSi like a sinking ship, and water as a flashcart. Flashcarts are getting into the DSi through holes in the security etc. Nintendo are doing updates stop these gaps. Sooner or later, we'll run out of holes to use. We need a good way to do custom firmware, then we can put our own holes into it. I don't know much about the DSi, but there may be thousands of ways for flashcarts to work, so there might not be a rush. Or the very next update could completely block everything up so we can't do anything. Who knows?
biggrin.gif

*this statement could be completely false, I'm just guessing*

WioWao

Trophies
XP
Country
I dunno if im asking a dumb question now but.. The USB thingies? They can be used if u already updated and u dont have a DSi to run fixes on. What about the Acekard 2i wont they be able to make some fix like they fixed the language bug?

BlazerRazor

Trophies
XP
Country
Placeholder said:
BlazerRazor said:

Unfortunately, it can't go on forever. Imagine the DSi like a sinking ship, and water as a flashcart. Flashcarts are getting into the DSi through holes in the security etc. Nintendo are doing updates stop these gaps. Sooner or later, we'll run out of holes to use. We need a good way to do custom firmware, then we can put our own holes into it. I don't know much about the DSi, but there may be thousands of ways for flashcarts to work, so there might not be a rush. Or the very next update could completely block everything up so we can't do anything. Who knows?
biggrin.gif

*this statement could be completely false, I'm just guessing*
I have to agree to a certain point. Security holes tend to live throughout the usage period of hardware - they will always emerge - but it will get harder and harder to discover them. Lets hope another way of hacking will make this easier - a permanent security hole would be ideal. Everything can't be fixed with software updates.

elfsander

Trophies
Website
microse.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
As a side note, I'm really happy that Nintendo finally has a good way to make piracy harder. This way more developpers will be interested in the DS platform, which will bring more (quality) games.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DjoeN said:
Placeholder said:
I hope Cyclo unveil their secret soon... I also hope M3i still works since I only just bought it.

Like told earlier:
- M3i Zero and Supercard DS ONEi -> Also blocked!

Yes this has been confirmed about the M3i Zero but as mentioned Wait for the update like everyone else remember this is the new card on the block less than a month old on the retail market!

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Eon-Rider said:
omatic said:
Eon-Rider said:
I've decided to take a video as proof for 1.4 in Australia. I can't say I've experienced the Facebook features and tested flashcarts or anything because I'd rather stay on 1.3 for now.

I don't think anyone was saying this was a hoax.
Haha, I don't think so either. I just didn't want a bad reputation in case people did because I was actually the one who made the claim that there was an update in another region outside of Japan in another thread. It doesn't hurt to have the video does it?
wink.gif

Now for my opinion on the update. I actually use Facebook a lot so I really want the Facebook feature. But then again, the DSi is a gaming console so I think I'll stick to my flashcarts.

True, doesn't hurt. And I agree, I'm not so impressed by the features added by 1.4 that it would warrant an update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram ple bs lol