Gaming DSi faulty d-pad fix

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My dsi's d-pad has always been crummy - it was hard to do diagonals, and my thumb would get sore while playing Contra 4. It wasn't until after the warranty expired that I considered it might be just my dsi. I've read of people who have compared different dsi's d-pads and concluded that theirs was faulty.

Well, I've been messing around with my dsi's and 3ds's innards since getting the right tools. I tried swapping the d-pad's rubber pad with the one from my 3ds. It worked surprisingly well, and I was considering getting another one for this purpose.

But then, after reassembling my dsi with its original components, the d-pad was suddenly working wonderfully! It made fairly loud clicks, but it felt worlds better. As far as I can tell, I accidentally flipped the rubber pad over while reassembling it.. Perhaps this is how it's supposed to be, and my dsi was assembled with its rubber pad backwards? Just a theory. But if you can't play d-pad heavy games on your dsi, you may want to try this.

Ifixit has a guide to remove the power board, which is all that's necessary to get at the d-pad. But I couldn't remove the wired connector, I only removed the ribbon cables.

pu1se80

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to necro this post 7+ years down the line but THANK YOU! The diagonals barely working on my DSi XL was driving me up a wall. Some games were rendered basically unplayable and the ones that were, were very uncomfortable to play when any diagonal input was attempted.

I found the disassembly quite easy. Didn't require the use of a spudger and while the wired connector is awkward, it does literally just lift up. You're right, the d-pad is now much more audible but I'm much more willing to put up with that than with the crappy d-pad. Diagonals are very responsive now and it is just amazing how much difference turning the pad over made.

Again, sorry for the necro but thanks again for sharing this!

Reactions: Tarmfot

ABigRock

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to necro this post 7+ years down the line but THANK YOU! The diagonals barely working on my DSi XL was driving me up a wall. Some games were rendered basically unplayable and the ones that were, were very uncomfortable to play when any diagonal input was attempted.

I found the disassembly quite easy. Didn't require the use of a spudger and while the wired connector is awkward, it does literally just lift up. You're right, the d-pad is now much more audible but I'm much more willing to put up with that than with the crappy d-pad. Diagonals are very responsive now and it is just amazing how much difference turning the pad over made.

Again, sorry for the necro but thanks again for sharing this!
It's actually interesting that this is a thing, because several times now I've come across consoles that have mushy, crappy D-pads. Some of the must have just been defective, I guess.

Amez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's actually interesting that this is a thing, because several times now I've come across consoles that have mushy, crappy D-pads. Some of the must have just been defective, I guess.

Seems to be a thing with second hand DS Lite / Dsi / DSi XL consoles, often you can be lucky and the seller will have only used it for touch screen games, but buy one from someone who has played Fifa on it and you'll notice you can only move the player up/down/left/right naturally but to use the diagonal direction they need pushing down fairly firm,

It's worth buying some genuine original spare D-Pad's as if you ever change the housing, they come with dreadful cheap pads that feel awful.

thiagoaraujos

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
10 years later this has also helped me, thanks! However, I'm a little embarrassed because this the loudest D-pad I've ever used! When pressing a diagonal it makes multiple loud clicks!

Is the 3ds rubber membrane comparable to the flipped membrane solution? I'd use one if it's more silent.

The DS Lite, on the other hand, already has a perfect D-pad. I beat Contra 4 today on it and it's great.

Last edited by thiagoaraujos,

thiagoaraujos

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Ok, the clicky d-pad was great but very noisy. I bought an original rubber membrane from Ali Express, replaced it and voila! Silent (not 100%... original is not 100% silent), soft(er) and perfect, just like an OG. Hopefully this will be useful for others: either flip the membrane (warning: good but noisy) or buy a new one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade...