DSDoom v1.2.0

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Another World, Aug 11, 2011.

Aug 11, 2011

DSDoom v1.2.0 by Another World at 8:07 PM (3,288 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    [​IMG]

Wintermute has resurrected DSDoom.com to bring us an Update. DSDoom v1.2.0 offers DSi-Mode support and ARGV support for file loading. The update appears to be based on his last build (v1.1.0) and not the PWAD hack released by a different developer known as v1.1.2a. No word yet on when future updates will be released (if ever) and/or if the save/load freezing and corruption bugs will finally be addressed. For more information check the homepage and project post links below.

[​IMG] Download
    [​IMG] Homepage
    [​IMG] Project Post

2. VatoLoco

Member VatoLoco Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

United States
    This is really cool=). I dunno how Wintermute did it, but saving and loading both work in DSi-mode through Sudokuhax!

3. Sir_Voe

Member Sir_Voe GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Plays beautifully in DSi mode via Sudokuhax. It even saves to the SD [​IMG] !

EDIT: Darnit Vato! Oh well, it's cool enough to bear repeating.

4. VatoLoco

Member VatoLoco Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

United States
    hehe,
    I wonder if/hope other homebrews will be able to use the same method for saving/loading in Sudokuhax.

5. KazoWAR

Member KazoWAR GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    As long as they are compiled with the latest devkitpro then they should.

6. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Seems to run and save/load fine on my DSlite and CycloDS. Runs pretty smooth and looks about as good as can be expected on the DS.

I'm using a full version doom.wad. Is it just me or is there simply no music in this? I have SFX but no music, is that normal or is there some file I'm missing?

Noticed one slight bug.....if I attempt to increase SFX volume, the game freezes. Not really a big deal as it's plenty loud enough at the default setting, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Also, will this handle multiple wads or only one at a time? Like, if I was to add a doom2 and/or plutonium.wad, will it allow me to select between them at startup?

7. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    there are save/load bugs that you will eventually come across.

there is currently no back ground music. there are talks of trying to finally add it but i don't think it will happen.

with this official build you can only have 1 wad at a time. if you want to use PWADs you will need to merge them into an IWAD using whatever tool you are most comfortable with. The program can only load 1 doom.wad at a time. with akaio i had a 2gb setup filled with converted PWADs and i would copy/paste them into the directory when I wanted to play one. another solution is to make a few directories and drop in all of the required files. dsdoom is small enough that you won't be taking up a ton of space if you decide to go this route.

-another world

8. realWinterMute

Newcomer realWinterMute Member

United Kingdom
    it'll take paths relative to the argv file as well.

9. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Well, I just created a separate folders for the 4 different official wads mentioned in the readme, no big deal for me to do it that way.

In the readme, it says that holding B and pressing L or R will zoom the automap, This doesn't seem to work.

Question about the save/load issue.....will it potentially corrupt my SD card or just the individual save? (it's a 16GB SD crammed to within a gig of capacity and I'd hate to lose that much stuff) So far, it's been saving fine for me, but if it MAY corrupt the SD, I probably should make a fresh backup of my SD if that could happen.

Is there any way to increase the turning speed a little? I can live with it as it is, but I'd like for it to be just a little faster. I'm playing on a regular DS and not a DSi, so I've no doubt that's why it's a tad slow when turning. Is there a setting I can tweak to increase the turning rate?

You know, generally speaking, I don't like FPS games, but for some reason I like the old DOS Doom games, especially being able to play them on the go. Is that weird?

10. Sir_Voe

Member Sir_Voe GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If you hold the run button (default "X"), you will turn faster. Probably not exactly what you're looking for though.

Incidentally, I don't think it's weird to enjoy classic Doom more than modern FPS's. The gameplay is straightforward fun, and visually it engages your imagination rather than attempting to suspend disbelief with glossy graphic trickery.

11. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    when i played some of the "harder" doom PWADs (Earth comes to mind, and one i recommend you try), i was saving and loading often during the later levels. i found that saves would crash doom and sometimes loading as well. it happened randomly, after 10 tries (for example) i was able to load the save that apparently was crashing doom and then play for awhile. randomly the engine would eventually crash with that loaded save. it made completing the later levels a bit frustrating but i never did experience msd corruption. however, all that crashing isn't good for our sensitive msd cards which were not inteneded to take the abuse we give them. i would recommend that you pick up a 1gb japanese kingston for under $5 (off most sites on the net these days) and use that for some of your homebrew testing. it will save you the headache of having to fully format a 16gb msd card and then replace all of your files (hoping they weren't corrupted before you pulled them off).

here is a link to Earth: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=9627

-Another World

12. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    @wintermute, thanks for that tip it works like a charm. i just ran the earth.wad using that method. i guess this will work for any pwad that is 1 file, but what about pwads that are more than one .wad (by poor design)? there is no way to load multiple wads from the start, correct?

cheers,
    -another world

13. realWinterMute

United Kingdom
  14. realWinterMute

United Kingdom
    Another little update for you guys, 1.2.1 now has a pop up keyboard when editing save names which should hopefully stop people complaining that they can't overwrite saves [​IMG]

grab it from the downloads page on http://dsdoom.com

The A and B buttons now work how you'd expect in menus, there's no freeze when changing SFX volume, and the automap zoom controls work again.

So far I haven't seen any problems with loading/saving with these builds, hopefully all the libfat updates got the bugs out.