DS2 team fix up your half baked GBA SNES emulators

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by Game Dragon, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Game Dragon
    OP

Member Game Dragon GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    It's not fair by the DS2 team to rely on the public to fix up there half baked GBA SNES emulators and there is problems with the emulators, it has been 3 months since they came out and still nothing, is there anybody in the public working on them or other emulators for the DS2 [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Fireballo

Banned Fireballo Banned

United States
    They will give us meaningless updates like a few game fixes. SC needs to get their act together.

3. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States
    why stop there?
    why not call out acekard for relying on normmatt to support the acekard
    or retro for dstt...

if you can find a dsi cart with a better gba emulator, plz let us know.

4. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Yeah, I hate to complain, but we barely ever get any real updates. Seriously, sure it has a built-in CPU, but since the emulator's just OK I'd be better off just using my real GBA.
    But still, I'm OK with the one we have now, I'm just hoping we get a better one and *maybe* more updates. Real ones.

5. hullo8d

Member hullo8d GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The Supercard team held up their end of the bargain and delivered all their promised features, and they did a pretty good job if I might add. This issue has been brought up many times; it really isn't the DS2's fault you can't get full speed emulation, but rather the DS itself. The transfer rate between the DS and and DS2 is what sets the limitation, so if you want to continue to cry call Nintendo and rage at them for setting such obstacles.

6. machomuu

United States
    That's true, we shouldn't complain, they did due this for us only at the price of a DS game, so it's not really fair to them.

7. Game Dragon
    OP

Member Game Dragon GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    If I knew in the first place the limitations of the GBA and SNES emulators were going to be I would not have bought the DS2 and just got the Acekard 2i and saved myself some money and time and heart ache

8. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Honestly I am not complaining, but I am pointing something out
    These Emulator has it's source release, but no one has done anything with it. So yes it is the Supercard Team at fault for not updating the plugin enough, but at the same time it's the Supercard community and homebrew developers who haven't done shit with the source codes that have been released.

But I am going to complain about the GBA emulation, update that shit already or at least release the source code.

9. hullo8d

United States
    The GBA emulator is DarkChen's work, so it's not theirs to release.

10. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Well then, DarkChen release your damn source if you are not going to update >.

11. Fireballo

Banned Fireballo Banned

United States
    I don't think they can claim to deliver when their snes emulator works at 10fps. The eReader isn't functional. So what the point of delivering features that don't really work? So they can sell more cards claiming features that aren't even good enough to use. They may as well drop those features remove the cpu and charge less for their card. What they could do is make their ereader work with epub and roll out some emulators that work full speed but they'd rather make bogus claims and collect the money. Maybe someone else will do it for them. We haven't seen that yet though. Nothing is stopping them from making some meaningful improvements expect that they don't give a shit. I personally think the card is a disaster with an ugly convoluted gui and a bunch of shitty features that aren't good enough to use. I've gone back to using my Acekard and I'll sell my SCDSTWO if thing don't improve. Frigging waste of money.

12. Etalon

Member Etalon Former Akaio Fanboy

Morocco
    Since the "M3 Real", card teams develop stupid "features" that nobody needs, that often don't really work, just because they know that some people are going to buy that card because of that "features".

Since the iPlayer NDS-GBA it is known that this emulator doesn't work very well, especially with european ROMs.

So what are you complaining about? Buy Acekard 2.i for DS ROMs, save money and power.

If you like retrogaming (SNES, GBA) and would like to try that just for fun: Get a DS2.

Both cards together: 35 Euros. That's less than a single DS game. [​IMG]

13. Isaac_GS

Newcomer Isaac_GS Advanced Member

United States
    Personally, I think the virtual guarantee to bypass AP on day 1 is worth a one-time cost of 35 bucks. The other features are (admittedly half-done) icing on the cake.

14. sarslol

Newcomer sarslol Newbie

United States
    i'm more than satisfied with my dstwo purchase
    i haven't tried a very large amount of games with the emulators, but the only one that i would call 'unplayable' was super mario rpg
    seeing as super mario rpg is known as one of the 'hardest' games on the snes platform to emulate, it didn't come as a surprise to me, and i don't expect any fix for it
    everything else has been an acceptable 80-100% speed experience, with just some minor choppiness that is the fault of ds's transfer rates

even without these emulators, i'd still feel it was worth the extra ~$20 over an acekard due to the save state, real time cheat, time slowing, guides, and video playing options available

15. hullo8d

United States
    The difference in power consumption between the DS2 and the Acekard 2i is only a few minutes, so buying two cards is pretty meaningless and will only give the illusion of longevity. The DS2 has had a lot of trash talk on it's power consumption, but it's due to the loud minority that people sheepishly repeat it as one of the DS2's fault.

16. GreatCrippler

Member GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

United States
    I like my DSTWO fine, but I lose almost an hour of play time compared to my AK2i. It is a notable flaw.

17. machomuu

United States
    Agreed, in fact, I alternate between my Acekard and DSTWO often (The Acekard has easier access and the DSTWO tempts me too often with RTS).

18. mechagouki

Member mechagouki Kill 'em all...

Canada
    I'm totally happy with mine, I have realistic expectations of the emulators - people should remember that PC SNES emulation only reached an acceptable level with the release of Pentium III processors, and GBA emulation is difficult on most platforms. If you want to play SNES games perfectly on a handheld the next gen might answer your prayers. Personally I think BAGS R3 emulator is a pretty fantastic piece of work when you compare it to SnemulDS on pre-DSTwo carts. Earthbound runs perfectly, Chrono Trigger is great aside from some minor sound glitches - I've been playing Flames of Eternity on mine - no problem. Obviously you will have problems with FX chip games like Starfox, SFA2 and Paper Mario - the SNES can't run them by itself - it needed extra hardware in the cartridges. The Dreamcast and even the original XBOX struggled to emulate some SNES games.

You should remember that these emulators are provided free, and written by people who receive little or no financial reward for their work.

I'm still amazed that my DSTwo plays .avi files full screen with no conversion. And if you want a ebook reader why would you use anything but DSLibris?

19. hullo8d

United States
    Have you done a timed test to prove this?

If I remember correctly it was cannonfoddr who ran some test a while back on battery consumption between flashcarts, and even though Ak2i did consume less than the DS2 it was only off by a few minutes. Likewise my DS w/ a DS2 and my brothers w/ an AK2i often die out at about the same time; I've noticed this since we often take them out when we go out on long trips.

20. GreatCrippler

Member GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

United States
    Dsi full brightness playing FFIV on my DS.

DSTWO: 3 Hours 6 Minutes
    AK2i: 4 Hours 2 Minutes.

Yes, I have tested.