DS-Xtreme "Qkin" Bug Fixed

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by shaunj66, Jan 8, 2007.

Jan 8, 2007

DS-Xtreme "Qkin" Bug Fixed by shaunj66 at 11:01 AM (3,327 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. shaunj66
    OP

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom

DS-Xtreme "Qkin" Bug Fixed

Hardware logic update fixes known issue

The team at DS-X have just let us know that they've found a solution to the infamous DS-Xtreme "Qkin" error that a lot of recent adopters have been stuck with. The update comes in the form of a beta Win32 .exe that updates the FPGA logic chip.
    A few notes you should read before applying the update: 1) You should format the DS-Xtreme before updating. 2) Download the 1.0.2 skin files from the link below and copy them back to the device. 3) Keep the USB cable plugged in. The update will take longer than normal and the progress bar may repeat several times. Also the LEDs on the DS-Xtreme will turn off and back on then the update is completed.

2. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

er.. what is this bug exactly about?
    I dont think it ever occured to me...

3. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    It only occurs in a botched batch of DS-X's.

4. shaunj66
    OP

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    AFAIK it caused a white screen of death when the DS-Xtreme booted and attempted to write data to the flash memory.

A lot of people had this issue for around a month with no fix until recently (this one and an unofficial workaround),

5. kernelPANIC

Member kernelPANIC GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    When are they going to release a patch to fix the paper solution bug? :S

6. pbolmstedt

Member pbolmstedt GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    If you register a case in the support tracker, they will send you a little piece of official DS-Xtreme paper. And I hear they're already going for crazy prices at eBay, because of the limited supply.

7. NinjaFish

Newcomer NinjaFish Member

United States
    They fixed that issue quite some time ago.

8. Monkey01

Member Monkey01 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    It was about time they fixed that, damn they really need to change factories, first 2 batches had wrong cases, then the 4th batch got a new ram design or something that renders the thing unuseable... The other flashcarts don't have these problems that common...
    And wtf is with the Win32 stuff, they promote it to be the ideal device for Mac users, but haven't released the firmware update nor the fix for this for any other OS then Windows. What are the Mac users gonna do now with their not working units? Wait another 3 months until they finally release a Mac update?

9. ydnar64

Newcomer ydnar64 Advanced Member

United States
    If you think about it, first 90% on the computers around the world today uses windows as there operating systems. and to close in on the mac user, most of them are hardcore mac users and have all the latest stuff for it which just so happens to include a method of running windows on there system. i'm sure most people migh not of known that since every uses's windows anyways. just thought to let you know.... [​IMG]

10. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

yeah although in theory you are right, in reality most mac users have a way to use a windows application.
    they can either go to friends or relatives who have a PC (or even in a public library), or use an emulator.

but yeah, in theory, they screwed mac users

11. ydnar64

United States

12. imgod22222

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    yeah, be more like 90% of people and use windows, the ultimate crashable OS!

13. KirbyPink

Member KirbyPink GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    Should i still uptade my ds Xtreme with this even tough i bought my card from the 2nd i think shipment?

14. ydnar64

United States
    If your DS-X has no issues then you can just ignore this. This was a problem with a specific batch of them. The fix primarly relates to a change of hardware in the card that is most likely diffrent from yours, so if you updated your's you can possibly render it useless...

15. drx

Newcomer drx Newbie

Another 3 months? It came in a month, and that included the winter holidays.

Also, there were two batches, not four. The supposed four batches were 'counted' by some resellers, by the number of shipments, not production batches.

16. dblank

Newcomer dblank Advanced Member

They're talking about the promised MacOS/Linux firmware updaters, which have yet to be released, and it has been over 3 months.

Sure, one could run over to a friends house or something and run the Windows updater, but that's not really the issue.. they've billed ds-x as multi-platform from the start, and said non-windows updaters were coming within a few days/coming soon/etc.

Before I purchased my unit I thought multi-platform was a high priority for this team, but clearly that's not the case.