Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

DS-Xtreme Firmware 1.1.0 Released

Out now...

Here's another shocking piece of news for you - team DS-X have finally released a new firmware for the their DS-Xtreme cards. This firmware skips straight to version 1.1.0 and boasts a few nice new features.
Team DS-X said:
By popular demand, we recently feature-froze the OS development, and began preparing for release. While there are still quite a few additional features still in development which we had originally planned for 1.1.0, there had to come a point where we said "This is enough!" and put out what was done for the world to use.

Demand for this update has been high, but we think you'll find it was worth the wait. We've covered some of the most highly demanded feature requests, fixed a few of the most problematic bugs, and implemented some incredibly cool new functionality which opens even more doors towards making the DS-Xtreme the most feature rich and flexible product available on the market.

+Multiple skin selection/support (Holding B during startup forces system backup skin to be loaded)

+Entirely new skin!

+Scroll-bar widget

-New loading and top screen

-Cosmetic change to App loading transition

-Previous (1.0.x) skin is now available as "OS10"

+ "Preset" directories searching option

+ "SkinApps" Skin engine based applications support

+Sudoku, Pwng, and Calculator examples

* Instant boot MBR handling bug fixed

* Instant boot LED handling bug fixed

* Better eeprom emulation mode detection

* Fixed an issue with graphics engine display quality (line skipping)

* Dpad release events are now properly placed into event queue

Hardware Change-log:

* Resolved QKIN timing issue

- Changed default IO state on CPU bus which should help improve reliability all-around.
We've tried this firmware out and can confirm the following:
  • Animal Crossing DS now works
  • Download play has NOT been fixed at all
  • M3 adapter support has not been added to slot 2 boot option
icon11.gif
Download Update and view update instructions

cenotaph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
By popular demand, we recently feature-froze the OS development
Aren't they taking this a bit too far? It's an embedded OS for a flash cart, not a BSD-derivate (or anything similar).

Would hope this update solves the compatibility issues DS-X-users have experienced. Anyone know if this is the case?

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
QUOTE said:
By popular demand, we recently feature-froze the OS development
Aren't they taking this a bit too far? It's an embedded OS for a flash cart, not a BSD-derivate (or anything similar).

Would hope this thing solves compatibility issues DS-X-users have experienced. Anyone know if this is the case?
They had to say something to explain the three month delay.
rolleyes.gif

D

Deleted User

Alright! I can't wait to try this out!

Just for the record, I've experienced only two incompatibility problems with my DS-x: Mario & Luigi RPG & Animal Crossing. AC I could care less about as I own the game, Mario & Luigi however I have been interested in trying.

Lets hope that there are no problems and that I end up as
yaynds.gif
rather than
hate2.gif

fermio100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
formated cart, plugged behind computer and received an error (update error 1) message. but it seems to be updated (ds-x unit 1st batch).

kawlex

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Update is really great.
New GUI looks awesome, faster load of the libary, and some other nice features!

And finally AC is working (again ; )

mk.2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I really love this new GUI
wub.gif
By the way, will this new firmware raise DS-X's game compatibility in Slot-1 Comparison Chart to 100%?

dairyface

Trophies
XP
Country
Just updated, working fine. New skin is very nice and everything looks good.

Shaun, what is wrong with download play? Ive been playing lots of download play games without any issues on my ds-x

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The new skin is fantastic looking. However, the scroll bar functions very oddly and the skin apps have done nothing but crashed the DS-X.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
yeah, same problem here.
the pong game works pretty fine (although very boring)
but the calculator app crashes very quickly.
And I'm not at all into sudoku so I won't even give it a try.

The slot1 chart WILL be updated soon; I want to wait until we know if the games that didn't save are fixed and if some of the slowdown issues are fixed.
smile.gif

and damn it, the passme feature still doesn't work with the M3!

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm amazed you could even get a skin app to boot. They all crash the moment I select Launch.

I'll go ahead and check my g-defuser systems Castlevania - Portrait of Ruin out now.

UPDATE: Castlevania still seems to have all of it's problems. Tested by constantly using warp points; I got the most "reliable" crashes on the warp room map. This time was no different. After warping 3 times the game crashed.

nloding

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What's up with the download play?

I still have the original firmware. Any word on how this affects ROMs?? Animal Crossing is back, but was anything else left out this time around? Just like last time? I want to be sure before I update and potentially screw myself.

kernelPANIC

Trophies
Website
www.kanjiswipe.com
XP
Country
Japan
I think they messed up with the skin system (or OS system or whatever the hell they call it). If you try to load the old OS skin, you CAN'T go back to the way it used to be (at least I didn't find a way), unless you either don't start your DS-X with the old OS Skin and just load it using 'R', or if you format the DS-X.
Nice update, only it feels a little rushed... I could have waited more if I had to. I don't need to play Animal Crossing or Mario and Luigi anyway...

D

Deleted User

Some people are experiencing an error ["error -1"] upon performing the update.

This happened to me, however even though my PC gave me an error message, I continued with the instructions as listed on the DS-x download page for the new FW and everything is working fine.

If you get the Error 1 upon updating, this is what I did, and all worked fine.

plug in dsx
run update tool
click update
tool runs and then gives error -1
format dsx to Fat/Fat16
copy new skinapps folders to DSx
create apps folder on dsx
toss rom into apps folder for testing

and you should be fine - I was/am.

I would like to add that I am running windows XP, using USB 1.0 and was updating from 1.0.1 to 1.1.0
I think that these factors may have something to do with it as most people had already updated to 1.0.2 where I did not; Maybe the updater program was made with 1.0.2 users in mind particularly. Also, maybe the use of my USB 1.0 slot has something to do with it, my PC is a few years old and can't do USB 2.0. Those are my thoughts anyway.

Regarding the new SkinApps - I think this is neat and we might see DSx specific homebrew in the future - but the Pwng, Sudoku & Calc right now that DSx Team released are absolutely useless. Pong is boring, Sudoku is bettered by the various .nds roms that have sudoku [like brain training, etc] and the calc is useless as this is on most cell phones. Great effort on their part though, nice to see that they are developing stuff and being proactive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night