Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

DS-Xtreme FAQ

Some of your questions answered!

The DS-X team have just posted a new FAQ regarding their DS-Xtreme flash cart. Some interesting questions some of you may have had are answered, so click 'Comments' to read the rest of them in this topic. Or click the link below to go directly to the FAQ in the DS-X Support Forums.
  • icon11.gif
    DS-Xtreme FAQ

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
DS-X Team said:
Q: How do saves work? Will I be able to backup my save-games?
A: Saves are done seamlessly, you can backup your saves (without extra software) by simply dragging them

Q: Is the DS-Xtreme Compatible with the Rumble Pack or Opera Ram Expansion?
A: We haven't had the chance to test that yet, there shouldn't be an issue though.

Q: Will you support DS Homebrew Roms ?
A: Yes

Q: What is the Battery Life?
A: The DS-Xtreme core components where chosen specifically to maximize battery life, however there are a few unique features to the DS-Xtreme, which if used optionally, could use up more battery

Q: What about reading Speeds from the DS ? Are they Equal to an original cart?
A: Original carts have various speeds, our hardware is designed to match the speed as close as possible. No problems to this date.

Q: Does Drag and Drop functionality work on a Mac and other Operating systems except Windows?
A: Of course Our device is fully mass storage spec compliant, and should work with any operating system which supports this standard

Q: Do I have to use patches and extra software to load files on the NDS?
A: Nope ;-)

Q: Will I need any other extra software or hardware to manage the DS-Xtreme?
A: Nope, just the supplied USB Mini-B cable and your mouse to drag and drop

Q: What colors are available from the DS-Xtreme Cart?
A: We are currently manufacturing a White cart, we might consider other colors.

Q: Does it only work with on a USB 2.0 port, is USB 1.1 supported?
A: USB 1.1 works fine too.

Q: Do I have to flash my DS firmware in order to operate the DS-Xtreme?
A: NOOO! No firmware hacks or any nasty tricks are required to use the DS-Xtreme. If you change your firmware you loose your warranty!

Q: What languages does the DS-Xtreme OS support?
A: English, but we have designed the OS to accept language packs so you can change the language to what ever you want. (Drag and Drop from your Computer)

Q: How fast is the file transfer from the USB to the DS-Xtreme?
A: Support for up to 480Mb/sec with USB 2.0

Q: Does it work on both DS and DS Lite?
A: Yes, every revision out and to come

Q: Are there any regional issues?
A: No, DS-Xtreme works on every DS and DS Lite from around the world.

Q: Will it work on future revisions of the DS hardware and firmware?
A: Yes it will. Thats why we call it a future-proof Cart.

Q: How many files can I have on the DS-Xtreme?
A: Depending on the size of the file, its up to you what you wish to put on it. The cart is 512 megabytes (4gbit)

Q: Do I need a pass key device for the DS-Xtreme to work or can I just put it in my DS?
A: Nothing is needed! Just place the DS-Xtreme in the NDS port and you are good to go

Q: Does it support DS external HD's that attach to the gba slot for movie and audio playback?
A: Same question as other GBA based carts, although we haven't tested it yet

Q: What countries will the DS-Xtreme be available to?
A: All major countries have resellers, we will be posting sites as the product is distributed.

Q: Is the DS-Xtreme OS / Firmware upgradable?
A: Yes! And the best part is that its DEAD EASY and SAFE to do it

Q: What are the steps to using the DS-Xtreme?
A: Hook it up to the USB and your computer, copy what you want to use, boot your handheld and select the file(s) you uploaded. Thats it.

Q: Is the Game Play affected speed-wise with the use of DS-Xtreme?
A: Nope.

Q: Is the OS skinnable?
A: Yes.

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Excellent, I guess this really is the first of the next generation of DS flash carts. I'll reserve my complete judgement until someone has their hands on one, but it's looking really nice.

The best bits of that FAQ are:

"Q: Do I have to use patches and extra software to load files on the NDS?
A: Nope ;-)"

and

"Q: Do I have to flash my DS firmware in order to operate the DS-Xtreme?
A: NOOO! No firmware hacks or any nasty tricks are required to use the DS-Xtreme. If you change your firmware you loose your warranty!"

Unlike the DSlink and NEO products it doesn't require any sort of passthrough method whatsoever. If the claims are true, this is deifnitely the first "true" DS flash cart.

inter4ever

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I will be waiting for an 8Gbit version and stick with my G6 lite until that time.
When i get the 8Gbit,in addition to 4Gbit i already have the total will be 12Gbits!!Which equals 1536 Mbytes!And I will have GBA compability too.All of this fitting flushly in my Black DSL.
smile.gif

Hypnotoad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Considering that thing goes into the DS-Slot, I doubt it will be able to play GBA-ROMs.

True, but I bet it was just a handful of years ago that people said:
"Considering that thing goes into the GBA-Slot, I doubt it will be able to play DS-ROMs"

I bet one of these companies will be smart enough to figure out how to do it. It's just a matter of time.
happy.gif

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Considering that thing goes into the DS-Slot, I doubt it will be able to play GBA-ROMs.

True, but I bet it was just a handful of years ago that people said:
"Considering that thing goes into the GBA-Slot, I doubt it will be able to play DS-ROMs"

I bet one of these companies will be smart enough to figure out how to do it. It's just a matter of time.
happy.gif
Possibly, but you have to realise the GBA games are read at a faster speed than DS ones, unlike the GBA slot which had more than enough speed for DS games - slowdown was a result of the way the carts were built and the fact all but the G6 used removable media.

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about download play to an unflashed DS? If that works perfect then I'm all up for this!
biggrin.gif

g.crow

beide mittelfinger hoch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
is anything known if the loader/os will take space of the 4gbit, and if, how much? or has it its own area for the loader, like g6 has.

greetings,
mars

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse