DS-X or X9

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by TiredFire, Dec 1, 2006.

Dec 1, 2006

DS-X or X9 by TiredFire at 4:26 PM (3,867 Views / 0 Likes) 30 replies

1. TiredFire
    OP

Newcomer TiredFire Member

United States
    So, as we all know, the DS-X is on backorder due to delays. They says December 7th but they've given dates before. The Ninjapass X9 is also on backorder, and supercardstore.com says they will get more on the 7th as well.

Do you think DS-X will continue to support roms? They do not allow any talk of roms in their forums or in the IRC channel so it leads me to believe they could cut support at any time. Every other flash cart out there has forums and chat rooms littered with talk about roms. Lots of rom questions all over the place for M3, G6, X9. All these companies have the single goal of playing roms. Why not DS-X?

My main purpose when buying a flash cart is to play roms. Like it or not, that is what they are meant to do. For less than the price of 1 DS-X, I could order 2 Ninjapass X9s, one for me and one for my girlfriend for christmas. I already have MicroSD cards so there is no extra cost to me.

All I want is support for lots of roms with download play and Wifi. Seems like both of these cards are receiving updates. DS-X with firmware and X9 with new rom lists coming out almost every day.

I would just like some opinions. If you own an X9 or a DS-X, throw some comments in this thread, it would be much appreciated.

2. nloding

Member nloding GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I've got a DSX and love it. It's great. I don't think they will stop supporting ROMs, they're dumb to do that, however, it is illegal to talk about them and officially support them, so on the forums and chat channels, I fully support them not letting that talk go about.

If they did, who know show long they'd be around and then we'd all be screwed. The X9 looks decent, but it's compatibility list isn't so hot. Besides, if either of them stop supporting ROMs, just don't flash the new firmware on it.

3. worstenbrood

Newcomer worstenbrood Member

Belgium
    It's legal to play backups of games u own, right ? So why would they stop supporting roms?

4. TiredFire
    OP

Newcomer TiredFire Member

United States
    Actually, in every game you buy, the instruction manual says it is illegal.

5. xalphax

Member xalphax Internet killed the Ponystar.

Croatia
    yeah, but the law of my country legitimates one copy for personal use.

so that makes it legal (at least in my country, depends on were u live)

6. stop_loading

Member stop_loading GBAtemp Regular

if you already have a microSD card... just get a supercard lite rumble + passcard = $45

7. Monkey01

Member Monkey01 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    DS-X will not stop supporting ROMS. They dont allow you to talk about it on the forums, but that is just a legal issue, the new patch improved problems with none working roms and newer ROMS most of the time dont even require you to update, so very little to worry about there.

The X9 however is made by a shitty company that stopped supporting a few previous products with horrible compatibility already, so theres quite a big chance theyll do the same again.

If you only care about ROM compatibility, its either DS-X or AceKard. (AceKard has 100% rom compatibility, but some single card download play problems, but so does DS-X. Downside of AceKard is low homebrew compatibility and not easy to use...)
    But as I see it, the NinjaPass X9 is a crappy product.

8. kaks

Newcomer kaks Member

i have a ninjapass. Its fine. Compatibility is pretty okay.

Let wait and see what will happen with the AceKard. It's just been released anyway.

The X9 is cheap. So i guess you get what you pay for. Most games i have work fine.

I wouldnt get a DS-X because its very expensive. If you dont care, then get it [​IMG] i would get one myself, if i had the choice.

9. Mr.squeeks

Newcomer Mr.squeeks Member

United States
    Let's not kid ourselves the DS-X (and every other flash cart) is made for playing ROMs. The DS-X team knows this, they just have to do the old "wink and a nod" routine due to legal reasons. I am not 100% sure on this, but I believe the reason the DS-X team does not allow ROM talk is because they are based in a country which respects copyright law and they could get in legal trouble if they allowed ROM discussion. All the other flash cart companies are based in China or Taiwan (I think), where such talk would not really have any ill effects on the company.

As for your question of which to get. I'd say look at the compatibility lists for both and see which one plays the most games you want to play now. There is no way to tell what future compatibility will be with either card (but I would guess it would remain good with either one). Then look at how much the two cards cost, there is a pretty big difference in price. If you are really concerned with download play, then you would be best served by waiting for the X9 review and see how it stacks up to the DS-X in that area.

10. simonbal1984

Newcomer simonbal1984 Newbie

United Kingdom
    Don't mistake the x9 for the old ninjapass it has good compatibilty working with over 99% of rom's it's better than Ace card, and the fact is uses microSD may make it a better solution for some than the DSX the DSX does have better home brew support but if u just want to play games get the x9, Download play works equally on both the X9 and DSX

11. Monkey01

Netherlands
    Hmmkay so we have AceKard and NinjaPass X9, both use MicroSD cards, AceKard has 100% rom support and NinjaPass X9 has 99% rom support, so NinjaPass X9 is better... 99% is better than 100%?
    Explain me what makes NinjaPass X9 better than AceKard?
    Also I don't think NinjaPass X9 will even make it to the 99%, it doesn't even support Metroid Prime and Pokémon and many more other less interesting games.
    Also NinjaPass X9's interface is to damn ugly, the system that you have to choose your .sav file from very long lists is anoying and seeing the history of the NinjaPass, I don't think there will be an update for it to improve compatibility and such ever.

12. Trune

Member Trune GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Monkey you should have a read of the Acekard review....
    - Its software is craptacular
    - It uses some retarded file system
    etc etc..

13. mr_blonde_88

Member mr_blonde_88 Torture You? That's A Good Idea. I Like That

United Kingdom
    If uve read the review ull see that the Acecard is a bitch to use, with its own file system (is that the right term?) it makes putting roms on the card a chore, not what you really want.
    If with future updates the acecard becomes easyer to use, and they sort out the damnd free space issue, then it coud be a much better card.
    All we can do is was for the X9 and the minininja

14. Monkey01

Netherlands
    But it's metroid and pokémon. [​IMG]

15. Trune

Member Trune GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I would sacrifice 1% of games playability for the convenience of not being pissed off every time I go to put on a new game.

Most people would, it's relative.

16. deathspawn999

Member deathspawn999 GBAtemp Regular

than get a ds-x. compatability is pretty damn good, and you wont find anything easier to use. if you can breath, you can use the ds-x. [​IMG]

17. Trune

Member Trune GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I actually have a SC Lite lol, it was more just the topic argument. I guess if DS-X were around at the time of my purchase I probably would have opted the extra money though.

18. tehcamel

Member tehcamel GBAtemp Regular

United States
    hello im new to the forums (sc rumble superkey and 1gb adata microsd otw) and from the research i've done on both products i would have to say that the ds-x is far superior.

the ds-x may only have 512mb of storage space however ds-x owners dont have to deal with iffy rom compatability save game corruption and an overall lack of support. not to come off as a noob flamer however if you would visit the ninjapass forums you would see exactly what im talking about. many complaints about games not working at all or freezing. having to select a game save type for each rom (not for the inexperienced) and save game corruption resulting in having to format your microsd.

when i first started looking for flash carts they were my first choice however after some research i decided to look elsewhere and decided on the sc rumble. (sc card fo life!) out of the box i would have to say the ds-x is the current slot1 solution vs from what i've read about the ninjapass x9 its more of an open beta.

19. mr_blonde_88

Member mr_blonde_88 Torture You? That's A Good Idea. I Like That

United Kingdom
    people keep saying get a G6, get a supercard

u needa realise, we're on about slot1 devices, that take up just the DS slot, leavin the GBA slot free, for maybe another flashcard, or (if u actualy own 1, lol) a actual GBA game
    [​IMG]

20. tehcamel

Member tehcamel GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i own new super mario brothers and frogger for gba. and as far as slot1 devices go i think the ds-x is a great product. however price and the size of the card is an issue with me so i opted for a supercard lite rumble which essentially has great nds rom compatability with the option of upgrading space via microsd cards. if the ds-x was 8gb i would of grabbed one as soon as they were available not even flinching at the 124$ usd price tag. its a freakin incredible slot1 solution however i wanted a flashcart with at least 1024mb. the ds-x freakin rules and i will most likely purchase one once they release an 8gb version and hock the rumble off to a friend.