DS Wireless with WPA Encryption

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by Arsic, May 12, 2008.

May 12, 2008

DS Wireless with WPA Encryption by Arsic at 2:11 AM (11,411 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Arsic
    OP

Newcomer Arsic Advanced Member

Canada
    Is there any way to do this without using or buying an extra Wifi Adapter or another wireless router/access point that has WEP encryption?

2. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    nop. not within ds hardware capabilities. though honestly, i dunno why everyone is so concerned about internet security. unless you guys have super powerful routers (or live in apartment buildings), the only way someone can steal your connection is if they're sitting right outside your house. otherwise the signal strength is worse than dial up.

3. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    if you are proactive with your network you would see extra IP's on that you could then ban. that is assuming you have to worry about that sort of thing, do you have neighors with smart kids who like to hack your WEP keys? just stop worrying about it and instead enjoy the online features of the nds including those in some of the great homebrew.

just secure your router using MAC addresses. if that isn't enough for you then turn back on WPA when you are done gaming with the nds.

now if this question is because you want to get around a WPA router in your range then no, nothing you can do about it as already mentioned. that is the limitation of the current build of the nds. i wonder what the new redesigned version i read about will feature.

-another world

4. Arsic
    OP

Newcomer Arsic Advanced Member

Canada
    All right, thanks for the responses. This is on my own home network that I set up, by the way. I just switched over to WPA only to find out that the DS didn't have any options for this. I also boosted my signal to get me 97-100% signal through two walls and a floor from a previous 60-65%. At least that's what it reads on my PC and PSP. The DS seemed a bit too weak to detect anything that was < 45%.

I guess I could switch back to WEP since there aren't any real concerns. I was just wondering if anyone came up with a way to do it since it was last asked. I'm a bit disappointed though, but I'll manage. Thanks again.

5. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

What a coincidence, I just wrote something about this:
    http://viidev.blogspot.com/2008/05/secure-...intendo-ds.html

It doesn't make the DS use WPA, but it shows how you can create two networks, one you use with your computers (WPA), and one with your DS (WEP). This way nobody can access your data using the WEP hole.

Only if you have a compatible router though. [​IMG]

6. SajjadK

Newcomer SajjadK Newbie

Canada
    If you want, you could get one of the Nintendo Wifi connectors… it connects to your computer and provides an internet connection for up to 4 (I believe) DS/Wii consoles!

It is about 30$, though - but worth it if you can't connect or really want to keep WPA.