DS & Wii Titles Expected Week of 19th March 2008, Awesome!

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Hadrian, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

Another week of awesomeness, and a very long awaited title finally appears on our duel screens. Also out is the super awesome BANGAI-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO love the first game on the Dreamcast, and the DS one sounds even better. It is a Japanese release but very easily playable for none J speakers so please give it a go. Yeah I was wrong about Insecticide, I'm so sorry but my heart is broken 'cos of that game but Bangai-O will rule and so will NINJA FUCKING GAIDEN! Wii wise is good but only if you like sport titles but its nice to have some good sport games on the Wii. Read on you smelly oiks.

Read to know when a game could be dumped:
    These dates are what retailers say is out unless stated otherwise, sometimes they make dates up for pre-ordering purposes. These dates could also be "shipping dates" which usually means that that's the date when games get shipped to stores so a game could either be in stores on that day or after. Some games may get delayed some others not listed may appear but at the moment of posting these are correct. Also just because a game is released in stores it doesn't mean that they'll appear on our internets but NA titles usually appear on our 'nets Wednesday night UK time. I love you with mouth.

DS

19th March

Sega Superstars Tennis

[​IMG]

Region: North America Genre: Tennis
    Developer: Sumo Digital Publisher: SEGA

While we wait for Nintendo to decide to give us a new Mario Tennis, here is SEGA's equivalent. Starring Alex Kidd, Gilius Thunderhead (Golden Axe), Beat & Gum (Jet Set Radio), Ulala & Pudding (Space Channel 5), Amigo (Samba de Amigo), Reala & NiGHTS (erm...NiGHTS), Aiai & Meemee (Super Monkey Ball) and off course Sonic, Shadow, Eggman, Tails & Amy (Sonic). Course are based on games like Sonic the Hedgehog, House of the Dead, Alex Kidd, Space Harrier, Space Channel 5 as well as many others. Gameplay is said to be like Virtua Tennis, which sounds very very good. I'm expecting a good tennis game with this one, something we don't have on the DS and also there is said to be many many mini games based on Chu Chu Rocket, Virtua Cop & Space Harriers. Instant win? I think so and I can't wait as not only does it look like its got excellent gameplay but its real pretty too with lots of modes and 4 player modes. There is stylus play but it can be played with the d-pad for true Virtua Tennis style play. The only downside is that there isn't any online. Nintendo Power gave it 8.0.

Video Link

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Fantasy Aquarium

Region: North America Genre: Sea life looking afterer
    Developer: ? Publisher: Destineer (oh noes!)

A port of the Japanese game Fantasy Aquarium by DS, where you look after and collect fish but in this one (there is another coming soon from the same people which is a version of the Japanese game Aquarium by DS) you can look after none fish like Whales, Dolphins and Penguins as well as other fish like Sharks, seahorses and so on. So if you have an desire to look after fish and that via your DS than erm this is the one for you. I might try this one but it could turn out bad. Video is of a Japanese advert of the two games.

Video Link

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Lost in Blue 3

[​IMG]

Region: North America Genre: Island Survival Adventure
    Developer: Konami Publisher: Konami

Yawn...yet another Lost In Blue game and it looks to be as boring as the last two, why they can't be good as Survival Kids (what these games use to be called) I dunno. Guide one of four playable characters, each with their own hidden past and unique strengths, through exotic locales on a mysterious island while surviving the elements to stay alive. Work alone or cooperatively with other characters to gather food, explore the island, and hunt dangerous wildlife. Use a character's abilities to dictate which path you'll take to uncover the mysteries of the island and ultimately engineer your escape! Message to Konami, go back to the GBC games and see where you went wrong. Konami say that they have improved it dramatcally, the reviews say "ooh fuck its boring".

Video Link

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Also out is Diary Girl, another title that Konami SHOULDN'T bring to the DS instead of Metal Gear. It looks shit. As well as that there s Fantasy Aquarium which I won't write about because I did a while back and still no release.

GoPets: Vacation Island

Region: North America Genre: Pet sim
    Developer: 1st Playable Productions / Engine Software Publisher: Konami

Yes yet another pet game, too many? Hell yeah. So what seperated this from the others? Raise and care for lovable pets with their own personality and interests in this unique game for the Nintendo DS. Take your pets online with the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection and take part in fun mini-games with other owners as well as trade for items to enjoy with your special furry friend. So very little then. Thanks Konami I'd much rather have this instead of Metal Gear, Silent Hill or Snatcher.

Video Link

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Bangai-O Spirits

[​IMG]

Region: Japan Genre: Super freaking awesome shooter
    Developer: Treasure [​IMG] Publisher:

BAAAANGAAAAAI-OOOOOOOOO SPIIIIIIIIIIIIIRIIIIIIIIIIIITS!!! Yes you can say I'm looking forward to this SO DAMN MUCH! I loved the Dreamcast version and I've been playing it for eight years without getting bored, I love it!

Video Link

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

SimCity DS 2: Kodai kara Mirai e Tsuduku Machi

[​IMG]

Region: Japan Genre: City builder
    Developer: EA Japan Publisher: EA

I didn't expect a sequel, especially as it sold fairly poor in Japan, maybe over here but not there first. Ok the touch control on the first was off but that was a port (with some great little additions like fending off aliens and that). There were some other niggles as well but it was still a decent version. EA Japan have saidthat all the issues with the first will be fixed on this as its built entirley for the DS. This time it will be possible to create cities with a historical theme. For instance, the player could create a medieval themed city, or a pre-historic themed city. No announcement for release outside of Japan just yet.

Video Link

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Time Hollow: Ubawareta Kako o Motomete

Region: Japan Genre: Adventure
    Developer: Tenky Publisher: Konami

This seems to be getting a bit of hype. Time Hollow is an adventure game directed by Junko Kawano, whose previous titles include Rhapsodia, Genso Suikoden IV, and Shadow of Memories. The scenario is being written Takehiko Hata, a famous Japanese author. You play as a high school student named Horo Tokio. The day before your 17th birthday, your dad tells you that he has something important to tell you, the next day. That night, you see a dream. In the dream, you're a child and you're surrounded by fire, and your parents disappear. You wake up and the world has changed so that your parents actually disappered 12 years ago, and you also come into posession of a mysterious item called the Hollow Pen. This allows you to open holes into the past and change past events. This is the key to figuring out what happened to make the world suddenly change... Sounsd interesting, now Konami give us this and we'll forgive you. A lot of sites have this down for release in Australia in April! I hope its true, but its doubtful.

Video Link

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chou Nekketsu Koukou Kunio-Kun Dodge Ball Bu aka Super Dodgeball Brawlers

[​IMG]

Region: Japan Genre: Twatting people in the face with balls
    Developer: Million Publisher: Arc System Works

I love this series, wasn't into the GBA one but it looks like its back to being great. What do you do? Well you throw balls at your oppenent hoping to knock them out, simple but fun. In this one there are a lot of modes and places to battle with including a Brawl mode that looks like Super Smash Bros, but with dodgeballs. Instant win! The US version has been delayed until 27th May but I'll have fun with this one until then.

Video Link

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Dramatic Dungeon Sakura Taisen: Kimi Arugatame / Sakura Taisen: Kimi Arugatame (All Star Pack)

Region: Japan Genre: Sci-fi Dungeon Crawler
    Developer: Red Entertainment Publisher: Sega

From Siliconera: "Red Entertainment developed the title with two specific parts: dungeon crawling and adventure/relationship building sequences. On paper the game sounds fragmented, but Dramatic Dungeon: Sakura Taisen stays true to the Sakura Taisen formula. Dramatic Dungeon: Sakura Taisen’s new system may even pull in a new audience, fans of roguelikes instead of the core SRPG audience. Since Dramatic Dungeon: Sakura Taisen is notably more accessible than it’s predecessors and it’s on a popular system, I wonder if Sega plans to localize this as well as the Shiren series." That'll be nice as it sounds good.

Video Link

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20th March

Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword

[​IMG]

Region: US / Japan Genre: Action Slasher
    Developer: Team Ninja Publisher: Temco

Ryu Hayabusa returns in this action-packed and totally unique game following Tecmo's thrilling Ninja Gaiden series. The Team Ninja-developed title is a 3D action game (well kinda, its pre-rendered backgrounds) that makes full use of the DS's most standout feature: the stylus. The entire game can be controlled almost entirely with the touch-based motions. You guide Ryu about the play field by tapping in the direction you'd like to go. Slashing the touch pen from down to up makes Hayabusa launch an enemy into the air, into a perfect position for combos. You make Hayabusa jump by tapping the screen twice, and can then point to enemies to shoot shurikens at them and perform a downward thrust attack. Even your ninja arts make use of the stylus, requiring that you draw shapes in order to perform the special attacks. Buttons are used only for defensive moves. Can't wait to play this beautiful slasher fully! So far reviews have been "holy crap its super mega awesome". Some places are saying that this is released on the 25th some say 20th.

Video Link

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Pokemon Ranger: Batonnage

Region: Japan Genre: Action RPG
    Developer: Nintendo Publisher: Nintendo

Come on Nintendo give us a proper one will you? Well a lot of people liked this but not me, I wanted to love it but it made me sleepy. In the second in the Pokemon Ranger series, you once again take control either a female or male Pokemon Ranger and capture Pokemon by drawing circles around them with the stylus. Pokemon that have been caught accompany you on your adventure and can be used to clear obstacles. It will be online. No US date but I guess it'll be out later this year in time for Crimbo.

Video Link

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ys DS
    Ys DS 2

Region: Japan Genre: Action RPG
    Developer: Interchannel-Holon Publisher: Interchannel-Holon

Yay more RPG remakes! Just what the DS needs. Ys DS and Ys II DS will feature big improvements over their original counterparts. You now directly attack your enemies, rather than merely bumping into them. On top of this, the game's control system has been revamped with full stylus support, allowing you to tap points on the screen to make Adol, the red-haired main character, move. Expect the usual revamping, added story and so on. I personally think its a bit of a shitter that they are not on one DS cart seeing Ys Book I & II for the Turbo Grafx CD had both games and more on them...sigh. Screens are of both games.

Video Link

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Kekkaishi: Kokubourou Shuurai

Region: Japan Genre: Action Platform
    Developer: Bandai Namco Games Publisher: Bandai Namco Games

I tried the last one and had no idea what to do near the end, this one seems the same.

Video Link

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Rosario + Vampire

Region: Japan Genre: Adventure
    Developer: Capcom Publisher: Capcom

Based on the cartoon (yes I said cartoon, get over it!) T this adventure follows Aono Tsukune, a young bou who finds himself unexpectedly enrolled at Youkai Academy (after his failing grades in his entrance exams left him with only one choice of high schools). The problem? This school is for vampires and witches and other types of superhumans, and now he must hide his normal humanity from the other students, even the ones who have fallen for him.

Video Link

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Also out in Japan :
    Puchi Eva: Evangelion @ Game
    Kachou Shima Kousaku DS: Dekiru Otoko no Love & Success
    Shibou Nenshou Keikaku: YaseTore!! DS
    Bakousou Dekotora Densetsu Black
    Crayon Shin-Chan: Arashi o Yobu Cinema Land: Kachinko Gachinko Daikatsugeki!

Wii

March 18th

Pro Evolution Soccer 2008

[​IMG]

Region: US Genre: Footy
    Developer: Konami Publisher: Konami

This apparently is an excellent game of footy and nothing like the mess of the DS version. The Wii version of PES offers the same level of realism that has established the series as the definitive football title, but has been undergone a radical rethink to make the most of the Wii's motion-sensitive control system. Using a point and drag system, the player uses the Wii Remote to guide the player with the ball, and perform all the skill moves and close control with subtle movements of their hand. The new system gives the player full control over their team, and allows the man marking of specific threats, while shakes of the Wii Nunchuk can be used to perform sliding tackles, and send the goal keeper out to clear a loose ball. The strategic elements are also easily accessed, with the directional controls of the Wii Remote used to activate tactical plays and spring counter attacks or send players tracking back. Full Mii support is also present, and users can integrate up to 16 pre-defined Miis into a team, while the ever-changing teams can be stored on to the Wii Remote and switched between two linked Remotes. Theres also online, allowing users to play Free Matches against unknown opponents, or Friend Matches against people on the Wii’s Friends list.

Video Link

Click to enlarge pics:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sega Superstars Tennis

[​IMG]

Region: North America Genre: Tennis
    Developer: Sumo Digital Publisher: SEGA

See the DS game, not sure what is different other than looks and controls. There are three different control methods for this game. The first is a WiiTennis style mode where you just have control of the raquet, second you play with the Wiimote on its side and pretend its a NES game with no motion controls and the third is the nunchuck and Wiimote one where you move with the nunchuck stick and hit the ball with the Wiimote using different motions. pressing A/B to change the sort of shot you do and aiming the shot with the analog. Again there is no online and again boo hiss.

Video Link

Click to enlarge pics:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Also out in the US is WWII Aces by Destineer and being by Destineer its crap shovelware.

March 19th

Deca Sporta: Wii de Sports 10 Shumoku!

Region: Japan Genre: Sports
    Developer: Hudson Publisher: Hudson

Hudson attempts its own WiiSports title. In the Us it will be called Decca Sports and in PAL countries it will be called Sport Island. To me it looks like those shovelware titles where you just play one sport, only with slightly more polish and with lots of games. The trailer makes it look fun thought so I guess we'll wait and see on this one. Events include: Beach Volleyball, Snowboard Cross, Badminton, Basketball, Curling, Figure Skating, Archery, Supercross, Soccer and Kart Racing.

Video Link

Click to enlarge pics:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    lol fixed it, I always screw this up when posting [​IMG]

3. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    I'm a big fan of Mario Tennis, so I'll give SEGA Tennis a try.. and Bangai-O.. just cause Hadrian is approving it [​IMG]

The US version of Ninja Gaiden should be out on the week after that, so I'll wait..

4. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    Its suppose to be out same week, not sure though as some say 20th and some say 25th but with the reviews already out I'd say sooner than 25th.

5. eldaddio

Newcomer eldaddio Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Good work. Some interesting looking stuff coming up, if only there was time to play them all!

Erm, you also mention you won't write about fantasy aquarium - after you've written about it above!

6. pasc

Member pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Germany
    Oh my god ? holidays came just right in time: bangai-o, ninja gaiden, nanostray 2, final fantasy crystal chronicles, insecticide all need their well deserved playtime...

you know sometimes the ds seems to be drying out and then at times like this with disgaea, valkyire profile track mania announcements and such wonderful games you can barely rescue yourself.

awesome !

DS rocks the day ^^ (let's hope the japanese week sales will have ds on top again)

7. plasmatron

Member plasmatron GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Bangai-O Spirits ? I`m bored of all those bullet chaos shoot em ups. I`m more a fan of good timed formations, and lots of power ups. Shoot em ups like Z-OUT, HYBRIS or Battle Squadron. Anyway. New shmups are rare nowdays, and I`m gratefull for any new blasters.

8. jgu1994

Member jgu1994 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Thanks Hadrian! To bad the japanese get all the good games [​IMG]. I'm not looking forward to anything except maybe bangai o and dodge ball brawlers, but idk about how playable dodge ball will be.

9. Jackreyes

Jackreyes Newbie

all Wii releases look good
    And the Aquarium one looks like an Opera Browser (PC) widget... Which if I remember rightly was actually fun!

10. DarkSpace

Member DarkSpace Custom member title

United States
    It looks good. I htinkg the week will be ninja crazed.

11. demented

Newcomer demented Member

Australia
    thanks as ever hadrian -- love your work on these

12. MC DUI

Member MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Tennis on the Wii could be worth a look, good for Multiplayer madness hopefully.

13. webyugioh

Member webyugioh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    between this and the tempcasts,
    love both so much.
    Thank you for your work

14. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    marvelous... i do agree that the controls for insecticide and brightness was bad but still not so bad
    This week is awesome and since i haven't played the game bangai-o but just heard it makes me feel it's good
    obviously Ninja Gaiden and Sega superstars tennis will rock too
    Excellent and thanks again hadrian
    Lols to those who wanted to play FF:crystal chronicles this week as R4 team have to be fast or else ppl will start flaming on R4 again but they are pretty slow these days

15. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    Next week the "Coming Soon" bit will return, I'll feature two games from the Wii & two from the DS.

I Need You!

Also returning next week is the "Forgotten Classics" bit, I say may as I want you guys to write it! So basically what I want is you to just PM me with the title of any Wii/DS game that you have enjoyed that you feel has been overlooked and write about what you liked about it. The length of it can be as long as any write ups on this weeks thread. It doesn't matter if I think the games are good or bad, its down to you to convince the other readers here to give a game a go. I'll pick four or so for next week and the rest for the week after. Whatever I receive will be posted eventually.

16. AndreXL

Member AndreXL GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Philippines
    Here's hoping Bangai-o does not go choppy due to the intense action...

17. dakeyras

Member dakeyras GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Awesome, thanks for the heads up. I really wish I could read japanese. So many awesome japanese games [​IMG].

18. SkH

Member SkH GBAtemp Maniac

Algeria
    Aahh finally Ninja Gaiden!!! [​IMG]

Also Sega Superstars Tennis looking good!! ^ And a few others too... [​IMG]

19. NiGHtS

Member NiGHtS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Ninja Gaiden looks amazing imo. You forgot to mention it's played with the ds on its side though [​IMG] PES looks cool too but I'm a bit sceptical. I dunno how the hell they get away with making another Lost in Blue title...>_>

20. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    I thought that people would already know.