DS virtual memory?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by imgod22222, Aug 20, 2006.

Aug 20, 2006

DS virtual memory? by imgod22222 at 1:33 AM (1,029 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. imgod22222
    OP

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    Is it possible in any way for the DS to use a gbaflashcart like virtual memory? I'm probably gonna end up hearing "if it could be done, it would've been done and obvious already" but still, i want to know. Also I'd like to know what programming language would be useful for homebrew.

2. Lukeage

Member Lukeage GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    You could use the flashcart as virtual memory by using the FAT libraries and writting/reading from the cart when needed. However, if you are actually programming something that for some reason runs out of memory, either you've got a poorly planned strategy for memory use or you're extra keen to push the DS past it limits [​IMG] (Out of curiousity, is there anything you've planned that would require more than the 4mb of internal memory?)

As for which language, C/C++ (does a DS compiler support C++ or at least subsets of the language (ie Classes)?). You'll find most game programming (except for mobile phone games which are Java, and of course, flash games) are written in C/C++ these days.

3. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    hey its the ds "phat"

4. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    You can use the RAM on the flashcard.

32 megs of RAM!

Um, a homebrew Web browser? Opera DS requires a 32 MB RAM cartrige to work.

A more interesting question would be, is it possible to make Opera DS use flash memory (memory cards) instead of RAM, i.e. to enable a "right-click, save-as" function.

5. imgod22222
    OP

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    So i guess soon I'll be moving on to learning C.
    Actually, I did want to make a souped-up browser, with basic flash compatibility, but when i learn C, we'll see how far that idea goes. >.<

I'm a programming noob. But I'm taking 2 classes right now. [​IMG]