DS Videos Out of Sync

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by geokilla, Jun 11, 2009.

Jun 11, 2009

DS Videos Out of Sync by geokilla at 7:33 PM (4,578 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. geokilla
    OP

Member geokilla GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    So I've been using Xilisoft DPG Converter to get my DPG videos. It's over 9000 times quicker to encode than BatchDPG, but sadly, the videos gradually get out of sync by as much as 3 seconds. Is there any way to fix this or anything I need to change in order to make it in-sync again? I've tried lowering the detail of the video and audio, using DPG3 (MPEG2 sound), using DPG4, and still can't get the timing correct.

2. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    How big, as in length,is the actual video?

Word of advice, just use imTOO DPG converter, its almost spot on, as in Sync for all my DPG's [​IMG]

3. geokilla
    OP

Canada
    The videos are just over 40 minutes long and are RMVB files at around 220MB. The files are located on my other computer, so I don't copy them over to my own computer before I convert.

Edit: imTOO DPG Converter seems to be the EXACT same as Xilisoft DPG Converter

As I expected, the sound is still out of sync.

Even if I convert the RMVB video to AVI then to DPG, the sound is still out of sync.

4. DrOctapu

Member DrOctapu Magnificent Bastard

United States
    I use media - convert online. It's good. Slow, but good.

5. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    I use ImToo and it's not out of sync. It has the best quality out of everything.

6. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    when converting. do it when ur not active.
    cos if you do other shit youll hog more cpu.
    and go use dpgtools.
    works great

7. IzzehO

Member IzzehO GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I really lol at people who recommend imToo to people with Xilisoft. Here's the secret:

IT'S THE SAME DAMNED COMPANY! Seriously.. when you start up imToo read the company name at the bottom - it's Xilisoft. Anywho I wouldn't be surprised if it were the RMVB format's fault - its a tricky format. Anyhow do you have it on best graphics or just Normal/Normal? I find if I put the settings above normal it goes out of sync or just lags in general.

Have you tried converting a simple avi or mpeg and seeing if that goes out of sync? I've honestly never had any syncing issues with Xilisoft so I don't know how well I can help..

8. geokilla
    OP

Canada

9. Findecanno

Member Findecanno GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have the same problem with xilisoft but it still is the best converter out there. hopefully with the new flashcart that can play real formats coming out there wont be a need for dpg converters anymore.

10. d00bee

Newcomer d00bee Newbie

Canada
    I'm using Xilisoft video converter ultimate and the following settings seem to work OK with my RMVB conversions. I don't see any out of sync effect occurring. I use these settings for the DPG4 output profile:

Video
    Video size: 256x192
    Bit Rate: 360
    Frame Rate: 24
    Aspect Ratio: Auto
    Same quality: False
    Zoom: Full

Audio
    Bit Rate: 192
    Sample Rate: 32000
    Channels: 2 (Stereo)
    Volume: 200%

Expert
    2-Pass: True

11. geokilla
    OP

Canada
    Thanks for your settings. Changing the bit rate doesn't help but the 2-pass does. My out of sync problem isn't as bad as before, but it still slowly gets out of sync. I'm going to try raising the FPS to 30 instead of the current 25 and see if that helps.

12. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    I'd try lowering the FPS instead. Something like 20 or 22 fps. You can't really tell the difference when watching it, and it's less work for the DS to try to keep up with.

13. geokilla
    OP

Canada
    The sound comes first, then the video comes like a second later. This doesn't happen in the beginning of the video though. It slowly happens as the video progresses. Wouldn't lowering the FPS cause it to get out of sync faster?

The Xilisoft support said to raise the FPS too. Since raising the FPS isn't helping, I guess I'll try dropping it next. I'll report back later tonight.

14. geokilla
    OP

Canada
    Update: Dropping the FPS didn't do anything. Got any more tips?

15. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    Not really, I'm saying that since it's the same company, and I'm using ImToo, it should work the same so it should work properly also.

16. Sachka

Member Sachka GBAtemp Regular

France
    Happened to me [​IMG]
    I got perfect playback after modding my settings (which were quite similar to those posted above) from 24 to 20 fps

17. geokilla
    OP

Canada
    I'm beginning to think that my Sandisk 8GB class 4 MicroSDHC card is the reason why DPG videos get out of sync...I bought my card off DX and my SuperCard detects the read speed as a speed of 5, while my friend's Kingston gets a read speed of 25.

Can a slow SD card cause problems when playing DPG4 videos on Moonshell? DPG videos that were originally converted from AVI works fine, but if they're converted from RMVB format, the sound gradually gets faster than the video.

18. geokilla
    OP

Canada
    Xilisoft replied back with the following:

So no one else has a problem with their videos being out of sync when converting with Xilisoft? I tried converting MKV to DPG the other day and the sound is in sync. If I convert RMVB to DPG, again the sound slowly gets out of sync, getting faster than the video.

19. wolfmanz51

Member wolfmanz51 MrNintendosense

United States
    haveyou tried the newest version of Moonshell2's dpgtools 2.02 they work great and are faster (and better they use a new conversion method just for moonshell2) than batch DPG. most third party Converters have more features but lower quality conversion than The new DPGtools included in moonshell2.02. This is a result of msome third party tools based on the old conversion and play back method not shure about Xilisoft.

20. geokilla
    OP

Canada
    I got the new DPGTools from Moonshell 2.02, and the DS video is in sync! The quality is comparable to that of Xilisoft too! Thanks a lot! Now I just gotta tweak the DPGTools settings to get even better quality [​IMG]

Btw, you know I only understood half of your post right? xD

Edit: The video seems a bit squished. The resolution DPGTools chose to use was 256X128 instead of 256X144...Gotta fix that somehow