Hacking DS Titles + Flashcart nonfunctional (White screen)

001skeith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey,

So I recently bought a n2DS online for a pretty good price, but it was not disclosed that DS mode was broken. I've been trying to fix it since, because a return was not possible. I've mostly been following 3ds.hacks.guide, but no methods of loading Luma/b9s/gm9 worked for me, so I bought a flashcart.

So initially, an error code would pop up when trying to run DS titles, DS connections, or anything related (An error has occurred, please hold down the power button..). What repaired it was "Recover DS mode after an NVRAM "brick" (eg after using a DS Bricker)" by zacchi4k, on this site. It changed the error screen to a black one. After this, I tried TWLFix again (having already tried both versions in about a million different scenarios), both with a system update and by installing the cias with FBI.
What happened next was that the games would appear to load w/ a black screen, and then show a white screen; you can still access the home menu by pressing the button, where the black screen/error required that you shut the device off completely. This white screen also occurs when trying to load the flashcart from the homescreen. (it's an R4i Gold Plus 3DS/DS, and the switch inside is not set to ntr. The files from online are also on the SD card.)

I have tried a CTRtransfer, 11.5.0-38u (my version is 11.13.0) it was successful, but did nothing for my issue. 3DS games work, all DS titles I've tried do not.

I am pretty much pooped trying to figure this out. Before I got it, I was not even aware that you could hack a Nintendo console.
Any help at all is VERY appreciated. I have been in and out of reddit and discord servers, - no one has been able to help me with direct advice. I have no idea what's up, and I can't find anything on this specific issue, most people were able to fix their problem with something I have already tried.
When I got the device, someone had attempted to put homebrew onto it, but all the files were inside of the Nintendo 3ds folder on the SD card. I don't know if that's relevant at all.

Also, please let me know if I might have more success posting this in a different section?

Last edited by 001skeith,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's unfortunate. Normally return+refund would have been the best idea.

Please check:
  • Do all the cameras work?
    • Yes, this does sound silly – not very likely but we had one case on an O3DS where bad cameras seemed to be the culprit for not working DS(i)-mode
    • This was a completely different behavior (going to standby instead of any errors or black/white screen). Still worth a shot verifying the cameras; bad cameras are known to cause other weird behavior as well.
  • Are the drives [2:] SYSNAND TWLN and – not so important [3:] SYSNAND TWLP present when starting GodMode9?
    • Can you find the normal folder structure in the TWLN partition: import shared1 shared2 sys ticket title tmp
  • Do you remember if GodMode9 (when starting it the very first time) asked for creating the embedded essentials backup? If you are a 100% sure it did not ask, this means the seller already has used custom firmware in the past and uninstalled it.
If you followed the guide to the letter you should already have a NAND backup on a (h2testw/F3/F3X) verified micro-SD. This is very important. When tinkering with the software things might actually become worse and having an image of a (semi-)working status for easy restore is a must. If you don't already have an image create one now and store it on a computer in addition to the console SD.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

001skeith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey KleinesSinchen,

I can affirm that both cameras are working, and both sysnand TWLN and TWLP are present. The folder structure is the same as described.
I do have a NAND backup, stored on both devices.

About the embedded essentials backup;I cannot remember, unfortunately. There was a setup process, but I want to say that there was something mentioned in the guide that never appeared to me while I was completing it. I know it's not much help to not be certain, though :unsure:

Last edited by 001skeith,
Reactions: Alexander1970

001skeith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I took a close look at this thread and, wow, it is. Except I do have TWLN and TWLP, so I followed the instructions that you gave to the OP in post #71. It didn't work :(
Went from the white screen to a black one, YAY!
I'm really stumped. Something I found interesting is that before I went through that whole thing, I was having an issue where settings, and only settings, could take up to five minutes to open. It still did that afterwards. Also, any time after doing the CTR transfer and then trying the TWLfix (manually or with the homebrew menu), the black loading screen when launching DS Stuff changes to a white one, with the black border around it on the top screen. It's like it's inclined to work afterwards, but something in there said "**** you bro"
So yeah, I'm not very familiar with a lot of this, but maybe it could be useful information to someone else.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I took a close look at this thread and, wow, it is. Except I do have TWLN and TWLP, so I followed the instructions that you gave to the OP in post #71. It didn't work :(
I'm really stumped. Something I found interesting is that before I went through that whole thing, I was having an issue where settings, and only settings, could take up to five minutes to open. It still did that afterwards. Also, any time after doing the CTR transfer and then trying the TWLfix (manually or with the homebrew menu), the black loading screen when launching DS Stuff changes to a white one, with the black border around it on the top screen. It's like it's inclined to work afterwards, but something in there said "**** you bro"
So yeah, I'm not very familiar with a lot of this, but maybe it could be useful information to someone else.
Yes, this was the topic I had in mind (which turned out to be – probably – faulty cameras).

Checklist:
  • Simple problem with the TWL titles → Checked. Not the case because TWLfix didn't work.
  • Cameras → Checked. Working.
  • TWL partitions → Checked. Present and sane on the first look.
  • User profile problem → Checked. I never thought about this but you already ran a tool for repairing possible problems.
  • Simple problem in 3DS mode → Checked. CTRTransfer didn't help.

Tough one. What is left? I'm stumped. All ideas with a big fat "?"
  • CTRTransfer Type D9?
  • Transferring all partitions temporary(!) to a known working console to see if it breaks DS mode on the test device (and vice versa)? :!: Never simply flash a NAND image to a different console. Full brick guaranteed! You better have a backup of both devices when attempting partition swap.
  • Complete new user profile? Aka "Format System Memory" followed by TWLFix once again.

I really wish I could give you a better answer.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

001skeith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • Transferring all partitions temporary(!) to a known working console to see if it breaks DS mode on the test device (and vice versa)? :!: Never simply flash a NAND image to a different console. Full brick guaranteed! You better have a backup of both devices when attempting partition swap.
  • Complete new user profile? Aka "Format System Memory" followed by TWLFix once again.
A friend has been offering to give me his old 3DS which has a broken screen, I could probably use it for something like this. But say that it did break DS mode on another device, what would that mean? Or if it didn't?
And secondly, I have no qualms with trying format system memory again, but when I got it, I did exactly that and it was afterwards that I realized the DS mode thing was going to be a problem. If you think it could make a difference doing it again, I will certainly do it.
Honestly, I would just go ahead and fork over another $100 dollars for a different console, but I really hate to leave this without knowing why it's like that, and I hate to have a thing sitting around collecting dust. I could sell it for parts, but could it be that the mysterious issue has something to do with damaged hardware?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
And secondly, I have no qualms with trying format system memory again, but when I got it, I did exactly that and it was afterwards that I realized the DS mode thing was going to be a problem. If you think it could make a difference doing it again, I will certainly do it.
Okay. If you already did this, there is no point in repeating. Was just guesswork.
  • Format System Memory → Checked. No effect. Not user profile related.
I could sell it for parts, but could it be that the mysterious issue has something to do with damaged hardware?
Exactly my thought. This is what I wanted to say with this:
If temporary cloning the partitions from that stubborn 2DS to a known working unit does not break DS mode on the target console, this is probably hardware based. But I do not even know how to properly do this. @TurdPooCharger is way more knowledgeable. While trying a few things regarding this I fully bricked my test console and can't continue at the moment.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, post #71. Did you make a backup of the SysNAND *.bin image (step 11)? At the time that instruction was written, Decrypt9WIP CTRTransfer (step 23) was the go to idea for unbricking 3DS firmware. What only a handful of people knew back then is that Decrypt9 CTRTransfer doesn't back up and restores key console unique files. If you have the image, please restore it.
Read further down that thread, and try post #145.

Edit - This DS(i) mode brick can't be fixed with CTRTransfer (Type D9). It's not a 3DS firmware brick. How this was determined was @KleinesSinchen's idea about total (CTR + TWLN + TWLP)Transfer between different 3DS systems was attempted twice before with no success.

Quick outline of the procedures and results.

1. Both (source) and (target) systems have backups created for their SysNAND *.bin images for safety.
  2. The (source) system with borked DS(i) mode has its ctrnand_full.bin, twln.bin, and twlp.bin images given to a (target) system.
  3. The (target) system using the (source) system's images has all other TWL issues fixed. DS cart and DSiWare games are verified to work.
  4. The borrowed & worked on images are dumped from the (target) system and sent back to the (source) system to be reflashed.
  5. The (target) system restores its own SysNAND *.bin image.
  6. The (source) system's DS(i) mode is still bricked.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

001skeith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After restoring, backing up again, and formatting, I've looped back to the error screen with DS mode. I'm not sure how to proceed. Should I just follow it to the end and use the NVRAM flash manager again?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After restoring, backing up again, and formatting, I've looped back to the error screen with DS mode. I'm not sure how to proceed. Should I just follow it to the end and use the NVRAM flash manager again?
  1. Download these five (5) TWL system title CIAs from [quantumcat1.github.io] Troubleshooting using a bittorrent client like qBittorrent or Deluge.
    • New_3DS TWL_FIRM - v9936.cia
    • TWL Version Data - v0.cia
    • DS Internet - v2048.cia
    • DS Download Play - v1024.cia
    • Nintendo DS Cart Whitelist - v11264.cia
  2. Install them with FBI. Because that New_3DS TWL_FIRM is an outdated version, update it by:
    • System Settings → Other Settings → System Update
  3. After the system update, check that TWL_FIRM has been updated:
    • FBI → Titles
      • New_3DS TWL_FIRM
      • Version: 10962 (10.45.2)
      • Product Code: CTR-P-CTAP
  4. Turn off the n2DSXL. Turn it back on, hold the (START) button, and boot to GodMode9. See if this file is present.
    • [2:] SYSNAND TWLN/sys/TWLFontTable.dat → press (A) → Calculate SHA-256.
    • SHA-256: 2833D4BBA599D5559E482C735F24682CCD44C375BA2940D1206CE85B7A0DD7E4
      • If this file is missing or the hash does not match, stop here.
  5. Press (START) to exit GodMode9. Quickly press and hold (SELECT) to access Luma3DS v#.# configuration.
    • If this option is present, do not check mark this: ( ) Autoboot EmuNAND
  6. Press (START) to exit luma configuration. Check your choice of DS cart or DSiWare game again.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

001skeith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So all was well with this, nothing missing, but I still get the error message. If it matters;
  • New_3DS TWL_FIRM
In my FBI, isn't listed as "New_3DS TWL_FIRM," but "NAND" - I wasn't sure if what you said was meant to be an exact precedent or not.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So all was well with this, nothing missing, but I still get the error message. If it matters;
  • New_3DS TWL_FIRM
In my FBI, isn't listed as "New_3DS TWL_FIRM," but "NAND" - I wasn't sure if what you said was meant to be an exact precedent or not.
'Media Type: NAND' is what it's listed as in FBI, so that's correct. Are you by any chance using a very old model DS flashcart when that "An error has occurred, please hold down the power button.." happens?

001skeith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
'Media Type: NAND' is what it's listed as in FBI, so that's correct. Are you by any chance using a very old model DS flashcart when that "An error has occurred, please hold down the power button.." happens?
I don't think so. I used Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days, as well as Cooking mama and pokemon white.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I tested some of them on an o3DS a few weeks ago
I have a suspicion that this DS mode brick is somehow related to the NVRAM located on the WiFi chip(?).

I know from personal experience bricking the 3DS firmware, (CTR+TWL)Transferring setups between my 3DS systems, and system reformats that a previous made DS Profile can persist on a new user setup. Even though there are tools like NVRAM Flash Manager and 3DS_NVRAMtool, I think there is something that's missed by them.

See if this idea works. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  1. Clear Home Menu extdata
  2. Go to System SettingsOther Settings. Change all the information in:
    • Profile: User Name, Birthday, Region Settings
    • Date & Time: Today's Date, Current Time
  3. Go to Profile → Nintendo DS Profile. Change the Message and Color.
  4. Go to System SettingsNintendo DS ConnectionsOK.
  5. When the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Setup appears, press (B) to exit.
  6. Back out with (B) button and exit System Settings pressing the ☒ Close.

001skeith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't open Nintendo DS Connections. I changed everything else, though. Nothing.
Gave in and bought a new console. If there's anything else I can do for this one, I will continue to attempt it, but I'm also ready to accept that the solution is probably beyond my very small expertise with software. I wouldn't doubt if it was a hardware issue because it has a crack in the plastic, I'm guessing it was probably dropped or had something dropped on it.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't open Nintendo DS Connections. I changed everything else, though. Nothing.
Gave in and bought a new console. If there's anything else I can do for this one, I will continue to attempt it, but I'm also ready to accept that the solution is probably beyond my very small expertise with software. I wouldn't doubt if it was a hardware issue because it has a crack in the plastic, I'm guessing it was probably dropped or had something dropped on it.
Would you be interested to try another idea? I've been doing some NVRAM brick research to try to figure out what a clean slate NVRAM should look like. Here's that error replicated on a fully trashed NVRAM when launching my R4i Gold 3DS Plus flashcart; I was also able to get the "stuck at white screens" with a kinda fixed NVRAM.

bricked DS mode (bad NVRAM).png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [cricket sounds]