Ds spelling/vocab games?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Calafas, Oct 29, 2008.

Oct 29, 2008

Ds spelling/vocab games? by Calafas at 9:21 PM (1,282 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Calafas
    OP

Member Calafas GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Hey guys, so my 14 year old girlfriend has recently been diagnosed with dyslexia, although we've known she's had learning problems for a while, and it really gets her down, as she thinks she's stupid. The problem is, she wants to read, but the range of books she can read is very limited.

So, do you guys know any ds games/apps that can help her read, but what aren't made for young children, which would make her feel stupid?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Also, any books/audio books that would be suitable for her, that are quite simple, but again, won't make her feel like she's reading a childrens book or anything?

Thanks.

2. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    the spelling bee game is actually really fun! i didn't feel patronized at 21 lol.

pretty much every book ever is available as an audio book. though it might be better to stick with actual books to encourage reading.

There's tonnes of software available as well to help with things like homework and word processing.

3. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Phoenix Wright. Even though it has a lot of reading, you could help by explaining a lot of the terms she might not understand.

To be honest, I'd recommend playing some casual RPGs (Or any RPGs. Hell, Chrono Trigger taught me of the word "simultaneously" at the age of 8). They're usually simple books with videogame elements. Also, I've seen some very smart Dyslexic people around. How bad is it, if you don't mind me asking?

4. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    What kind of visual dyslexia has she got ie. reversed letters, moving letters or is everything in focus? There's glasses that can help depending on the type of dyslexia it is.

5. Calafas
    OP

United Kingdom
    reversed letters, and the fact she wasnt diagnosed with eye problems for a few years of not being able to see any of the whiteboards at school, which i daresay hasnt helped her learning either.

6. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    That's pretty shitty, but sounds about right from our (lack of) education system. I've got a couple of friends who are dyslexic, one of them has the reversed letters syndrome (don't know it's proper name sorry) and he tried See Right glasses and it helped him alot. Not sure how effective it'll be for your girlfriend but it might be worth looking at.

7. Calafas
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thats ok, i dont know it's proper name, and will look into them, thanks a lot.