1. Galacta

Galacta >:)

7 had a really good story and a KICKASS villain. Anyways try Disgaea DS and Chrono Trigger.

2. Moots

Moots The Incredible Sulk

Canada
    I love the FF series, pre-Ps1.

7-9 I could have done without. 7 I think gets all kinds of love because people think cloud/seph are bad asses, 8 had little to no EQ system which drove me nuts.
    9 was just meh all around, and far too easy.

Chrono trigger, will by far in my opinion be the best RPG out for the DS. It hopefully will be the best version of the game, combining the original game play, the ps1 cutscenes, and a new dungeon/map.

3. Purple_Shyguy

Purple_Shyguy GBAtemp Maniac

I can never really get into RPG's. They take too long to explain the story and all that. Why can the story not progress in little chunks during a fight? Lets say like Yu-gi-oh for example. (i hate yugioh, but it explains my point)

I LOVED Chrono Trigger years ago and im goin to love it even more on my sexy DS.

TWEWY was shite.
    I played FF3 and got stuck at the bit where there's a mirror and you go into like a dark realm or some shit.
    Rhapsody musical adventure, 2 hours in i was like, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
    Pokemon is sooooo slow paced and dull.
    Naruto POTN is horrible. So is Disgaeia..
    Phantom Hourglass is bad. Sonic Chron.'s is an abomination.

Oh.. Etrian odyssey i found ok... until i started to properly play it and it just became a grind. Seriously how do people find such repetition fun? I gave up on the 5th floor. Its not THAT hard its just i dont want to spend hours of my life attacking little things, moving a few floors, attacking slightly bigger things, level up, return to town, repeat.
    Dragon Quest 4.. Im sure its good or anything but i cant get passed the boring story and awkward graphics.. Hello its 2008 if FF3 & 4 can update then why cant you?

Reverent Wings is shit.

I'm have yet to play chocobo tales...

I just download Soma Bringer and the translation cus you guys recommended it so I'll try that out.

More later when i can think....

4. fateastray

fateastray GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    You should just give up on DS rpg's entirely........

Or at least give arguments why something is "shit". You DID notice that the DQ4 backdrops are fully 3D? scrollable with L and R...?

Saying Z:PH is just bad, without any arguments isn't really helping the OP, at all...

5. Noitora

Noitora ::

Greece
    Dungeon of windaria
    Nostalgio no kaze
    Avalon code
    Luminous arc I & II
    Xenosaga I & II
    Ys I & II

6. Bigbacon

OP Bigbacon Member
    Newcomer

United States
    not sure how this turned into a "why X game sucks" thread but what they heck, now that you've started it I might as well chime in.

on FF games:
    FF games are just so main stream now a days that anything you slap FF on is going to be considered a masterpeice. Now thats not totaly true IMO the games are very good inspite of each game's faults.

8bit-16bit era I really did like 4 the best. I was able to get into it. It grabbed me and took me for the ride. Out of all the FF games I have certainly played and beaten this one the most. 1 - 3 don't really stick out in anyway. I liked 5 except I reay hate job systems. I never finished 6, I was never realy able to get into 6.

FF 7 get all the rave because it was the step into the 3d era of games and included the scene of Aries getting killed. It was a good game, way to long. I won't say it's the best which is what most seem to call it.

FF 8 i know for most is considered the worst or close to it. I loved it though. The drawing magic thing certainly sucked but the characters in 8 are what made me love it. I stayed for the character building that took place through out the game. When 8 was finished, I felt like I knew the characters personally and understood where they were coming from. I was like I was in the adventure with them (game technicalities aside). FF8's characters are still my favorite.

FF9 like some others said was ok.. I never finshed it because, I got to a point where they force you to use characters you may never had used through out the game and they suck so bad I couldn't move on. I can't even go to an ealier save unless I wanted to go like WAY back which is silly.

FF10 I good, not amazing but good enough to finish. Sure it had poor acting but what japanese to english dubbing doesn't suck. I would put the dubbing above most anime though.

FF10-2, don't even get me started.

FF12 - strange one. At first I 100% hated it because of the battle system. I never even got out of the first town. I dropped the game for like 8 months and went back to it and all was good. I put this one at the top of my list. Again it had very likable characters and a decent story. I embraced the battle system later on because it allowed you to almost not deal wth battles and just deal with the story. Gambit system pretty much let you auto battle and if you did the auto level up thing early on (like lvl 35) and got everyone to like level 80+ then it was a breeze.

Chono trigger I can't put my finger on why i didn't like it. I may revisit it when the DS version is out.

Overall I think FF games are quality games that like any other game, it up to the player to if they like it or not.

Looking at Noitora's list:
    I played Xeno 1,2,3 on PS2 so unless they are differet then I will pass.
    Luminous Arc sounds familiar as well.

7. Hydromancer

Hydromancer Member
    Newcomer

The World Ends with You is possible the definitive rpg on the ds. Great story, fun battle system (come on, it's time to drop that silly old turn based combat system), and graphics are nice as well

8. Dark

Dark GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The psp game is pretty good. I just played it this morning.

9. shadow_14

shadow_14 Member
    Newcomer

Wow, i didn't know so many people hated The World Ends With You...to me, it's my favorite rpg on the ds and on of my top rpg's of all time; the story is good, the battle is awsome (altough it requires pratice) and everything else really fits in the game making it a really good experiencie. It's one of the few games that i had completed 100% and it took me 120 hours to do so!
    Besides that i would recommend:
    - Mario and Luigi - Partners in time (it's a fun turn-based rpg)
    - Lostmagic (it isn't really rpg, it's more of a strategy game with drawing magic in the touch screen)
    - Magical Starsign
    - The Legend Of Zelda - Phantom Hourglass (it's a really good game honestly, i didn't like the idea to be only touch screen but it works really well)
    - Sonic Chronicles (it has it's flaws and it gets a little repetitive but it's worth trying)

10. Batman55

Batman55 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I think TWEWY is the best DS game ever. But if you don't like it, that's fine.

You should try Soma Bringer.

11. Reaper

Reaper Tͩ͒ͥ̈́ͧ̓͑̆̂

United States
    Overrated games in my opinion
    TWEWY
    Phantom Hourglass
    Only your first pokemon game ever is worth playing. Starting over sucks tbh

12. SargeSmash

SargeSmash GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't think disliking Akira Toriyama's artwork is a valid reason for ignoring a game completely. Personally, I'm not overly fond of his style myself (although I really like the monster designs), but I've long enjoyed the Dragon Quest series. Missing out on what I consider to be one of the best series of RPGs of all time would be a shame. As would missing out on Chrono Trigger, which still tops my list of favorite RPGs of all time. And believe me when I say I've played a lot of them since then.

The remake is solid, but I'd have preferred a look more like Dragon Quest VI than Dragon Quest VII.

13. Ferrariman

Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    The World Ends with you is probably one of my favorite RPGs, because I beat it twice.

Over-rated? Yes.
    Repetitive in the later levels? I guess
    Fun? Even more so.

14. BoomtownBilly

BoomtownBilly GBAtemp Regular

I think that Summon Night Twin Age is kinda underrated as a DS game nobody even mentions it . . . . the GBA one's were amazing.

15. ojsinnerz.

ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    The GBA versions were very fun. Probably the first RPG games that I really enjoyed playing.

The Twin Age was fun, but I wish it was longer, and followed the original side scrolling style.

16. iPikachu

iPikachu C3's personal flamebot and fail artist

Senegal
    Summon night: twin age's battle style is like the world ends with you i guess...

17. hksmrchan

hksmrchan GBAtemp Regular

United States
    [​IMG]

18. esoterica

esoterica GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I tried TWEWY for 10 minutes and turned it off. I don't remember much of it, but I remember there was too much dialogue and it wasn't really capturing my interest.

I never beat Chrono Trigger for SNES, but you bet I will try to when it comes out for DS. The Final Fantasies on DS are meh. Not bad, but not great. What other games in Japanese have an English mod or whatever thats worth tryin out?

19. Edragon

Edragon GBAtemp Regular

Soma bringer.

20. agentgamma

agentgamma I dont know what to put here

So true.
    Unless its like 5 years after you last played a Pokemon game (know from experience)

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - fantasy, Final,