Gaming DS RPG Debate

Injury

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As you all can tell, I'm new around here...So here it goes.

Is anyone tired of the constant release of TBS games (Running Blue Earth Remix, FFTA2, etc) being released as the genre RPG? I've looked forward to so many RPGs that ended up being lame turn based systems that just leave me wanting. Does anyone else feel this way? Also, what is your favorite RPG title that was released this year? Did it end up being an TBS RPG?

BTW, while I do enjoy turn-based games. Just stop releasing so many of them. Most of them suck and are a waste of money to develop only to be ousted by a new release a month or two down the line.

All IMHO,
Injury

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
although i like strategy games i do hate the fact that they label them as RPG or even SRPG...i didnt care too much for FFTA2 but i do enjoy the Luminous Arc games...but yes i hate when they label them as RPG when they're just Strategy games...

Gokou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard ya. I'm sick and tired of all these TBS RPG bull craps. We need out old school traditional RPG back. Bye bye grid and say hello to world map......................haven't seen a world map in RPG game in awhile.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
haha yeah i have to be in the mood to play on a grid or i can easily fall asleep out of boredom...but when you can just run around on a world map and do what you want in between going where the story wants you to it remains fun from beginning to end.

Aia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I, for one, approve of the distinction between the branches of RPG.

Strategy, for me, is more like RTS or Risk. When I see SRPG, I know exactly the kind of game it is. Similarly, the rarely used A(ction)RPG, leaves me expecting something Diablo-esque. Of course, with this mess, you end up with all sorts of things that can be classified as cross-genre but most things are like that nowadays.

As for stuff I've been poking at lately... Disgaea, Luminous Arc 2 and Soma Bringer. I think only LA2 was released in the last year though.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Aia said:
I, for one, approve of the distinction between the branches of RPG.

Strategy, for me, is more like RTS or Risk. When I see SRPG, I know exactly the kind of game it is. Similarly, the rarely used A(ction)RPG, leaves me expecting something Diablo-esque. Of course, with this mess, you end up with all sorts of things that can be classified as cross-genre but most things are like that nowadays.

As for stuff I've been poking at lately... Disgaea, Luminous Arc 2 and Soma Bringer. I think only LA2 was released in the last year though.
SRPG on a label surely distinguishes the difference between the type of game but a lot of gaming companies and gaming sites are just simply calling them RPG instead of SRPG which gets really annoying since we think great another RPG then we go crap its a freaking grid battle system
sleep.gif

Gobnoblin

Trophies
XP
Country
they need to give a nod to the great days of the snes rpg... how many billion were there? now that was the days of rpg! and well i guess the ps2 had about a gabillion too! release earthbound and i'll play it a billion times again lol

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i would like to see a full remake of star ocean and star ocean 2 on a next gen system like PS3...also i would like to see SE make a remake/or another Mario RPG game...and a remake of Secret of Evermore =D

Injury

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, that is what I'm waiting for. Ports for the greats : SoE, SO1, which should have been for the DS, Super Mario RPG, could make Nintendo big money, and I might go as far to say that Romancing Saga could be another hit...again.

Which brings me to another point: Aren't you tired of the remakes of just the Square-Enix franchise? Yea, they make great games, but the only Final Fantasy I want is 3, because it was never released in NA, and Final Fantasy 6, because it is, and still could be, up in the top 10 RPGs.

Gah, I rant to much...

Thanks for the replies!

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@elixer turn based RPG games are fine its the boring grid strategy rpg games that are awful there are too many of them...
@injury FFVI would be a great remake and i'm enjoying all the remakes SE are doing its nice to be able to take all the classics on the go with me...i want a port of FFIX or at least a spin off FFVII was nice but is highly overrated at least the past 5 years it is...FFV...FFVI...FFIX and FFX are IMO the best FF games in the series.

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
Injury said:
Honestly, that is what I'm waiting for. Ports for the greats : SoE, SO1, which should have been for the DS, Super Mario RPG, could make Nintendo big money, and I might go as far to say that Romancing Saga could be another hit...again.

Which brings me to another point: Aren't you tired of the remakes of just the Square-Enix franchise? Yea, they make great games, but the only Final Fantasy I want is 3, because it was never released in NA, and Final Fantasy 6, because it is, and still could be, up in the top 10 RPGs.

Gah, I rant to much...

Thanks for the replies!

rant is good
tongue.gif

this open a space for discussion
but too bad gbatemp is not a good place for rant! some smart ass my jump in and start firing
tongue.gif

ports? lol... if you know the history well
SE owns SMRPG
tongue.gif

so we won't be seeing nintendo making/remaking it
tongue.gif

this is why nintendo came out their own M&LRPG
tongue.gif

Oh Really?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Injury said:

Gah, I rant to much...

Thanks for the replies!

FF3 is already out on the DS. From the way you worded your post, it sounds like you didn't know about it?
Anyways, my fav. genre of games is turn based/ jrpgs, and there is not enough good ones for the DS. The only SRPG I have ever really liked/played were ffta and a2.
As for the final fantasy remakes, I cannot stand playing them in 3d. I don't care how good of a game it is, I will always play the 2d over the 3d. Don't ask why, it just feels better.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lol well nintendo still makes money off of SMRPG on the Virtual Console =D and i think nintendo can do what they want with it since mario is their character =D...

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
was able to play the FFT on PS
i find the one for DS is too easy
doesn't provide the challenge

syko5150,
they can do whatever they want with MARIO
but not making a game title with SMRPG
tongue.gif

LOL

contradicting right?

Private|Par

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Injury said:
As you all can tell, I'm new around here...So here it goes.

Is anyone tired of the constant release of TBS games (Running Blue Earth Remix, FFTA2, etc) being released as the genre RPG? I've looked forward to so many RPGs that ended up being lame turn based systems that just leave me wanting.

90% of RPGs have turnbased battle systems. Final Fantasy has them, Dragon Quest has them, Pokemon has them, Chrono Trigger has them, Suikoden has them.
blink.gif

If I was one of those douchebags I would leave this post at this, but I'm not.
biggrin.gif

I'll assume you mean Strategy RPGs, but I have to disagree. I haven't seen enough good strategy RPGs grace the system. FFTA2 was severely lacking compared to FFTA1. Haven't even heard of Running Blue Earth.
biggrin.gif

Disgaea was a port, although an extremely well done one. Not to hijack the topic or anything, but considering this is a "debate", can some people sound off on some good SRPGs for the system?

Injury

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@syoko: I know ff3 is out, I was merely stating that it had a purpose being ported to the Americas and Europe, seeing as how it was never released on the SNES in English.

@Private Parts: Yes, I mean Turn Based Strategy games. I used to make RPGs in the RMXP/VX community, so our nomenclature may vary. Final Fantasy is turn based, but it's an active engine where the enemy can move if you don't, hence ATBS. Ya know?

Anywho, I agree in part. Not enough good SRPGs, and definitely not enough real RPGs that are original in concept and design. Contact would be one of those original RPGs that came from scratch.

Disgea is truly addicting when it came out...I just messed up and only leveled Lahral up...Whoops!

I have to say Front Mission was fun. Something about robots and explosions always gets me.

Let's hear some more good SRPGs!

(ps, thanks for the replies! it's good to see an active discussion without to much off-topicness!)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1