DS Rom Renaming?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Jive3D, Jan 15, 2007.

Jan 15, 2007

DS Rom Renaming? by Jive3D at 7:52 AM (3,998 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Jive3D
    OP

Member Jive3D GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Ohio gozaimasu.

I'd like to rename the internal names of my DS roms [the actual rom names that show up in the listing when I view my 'apps' with my DS-X.

What's the best program to use to rename the internal name of DS Roms?

Similar to the functionality that PogoTools served for GBA - renaming, truncating, etc.

Domo arigato [​IMG].

2. nerd1

Newcomer nerd1 Advanced Member

Australia
  3. Katalyst

Member Katalyst Johnald Everyperson

United States
    Combine NDSrc with OfflineList and you've got an awesome catalogue system.

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
  5. Jive3D
    OP

United States
    Thank you!

6. Jive3D
    OP

United States
    I'm not having very much luck using either NDScrc or Offline List. These programs want me to have all of my rom archives [the original zips that have the rom, nfo, etc in them] all in one directory. I don't keep those on my machine. I keep all of my .nds files [not zipped up] in a folder - and this is just the roms that I'm interested in playing, so it's only a few. I do not care for screenshot management or nfo viewing etc - all I want to do is edit the CRC name to a custom name that I want, no .nds rom name standards.

If I want to rename 'Castlevania DS' to 'Belmont Blows' then I should be able to do so...

Is there any utility or tool that's more like PogoTools but for DS, just a program that I can open up an .nds file with to rename the internal name? That's all I want to do...

I don't want to be bothered with downloading DAT files, which seems completely disconnected with what I want to do...

Thanks much...

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Offline list is my manager of choice and I have minimal experience with ndscrc, from what you describe though I know of no tools that can do it save theinterface of your computer.

I will try and address some problems though:
    Uncompressed DS roms are serious waste of space (7zip frequently halves sizes for me), as for naming truely custom names are to my knowledge not possible to get offlinelist to do it automatically but there is nothing stopping you doing it yourself.
    You can however drag and drop roms onto the interface and it will CRC and compress them for you.

As for the only one folder thing check browse subfolders in the screen where you choose the rom directory.

8. Jive3D
    OP

United States
    Does the DSx support zipped, rared or 7zipped roms? I have not tried that yet - that sure would be a nice way to save space.

I'm much more concerned with renaming the .nds files - Currently, Offline list doesn't even see my roms as they are all in .nds format and not zipped - if the DSx supports roms in archive format and offline list will edit the internal names if they are in archived format then I could be in business?

Thanks for your help.

9. Volume

Newcomer Volume Member

United States
    I have yet to get my R4 yet, but this is something I was wondering about as well. From what the OP says it sounds like you cant just rename your roms, and have the new name appear inside the actual file list once you have R4 (or whatever you are using) booted up?

For example, just so I can get a clear answer... say I have Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. The rom file name is "lgc-cvdu.nds". I boot up R4, select games and from my list of games it shows as "lgc-cvdu.nds" Now from what the OP is saying (please correct me if I'm wrong)... I want the file renamed so I rename the lgc-cvdu.nds to "Castlevania - Dawn of Sorrow.nds" yet when I boot up R4 and select games, it still shows up on the list of games as "lgc-cvdu.nds".

Is this indeed the case?

10. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    Volume, I'm not sure about the R4 but the Supercard uses the actual filename rather than internal filename.

OP, you keep saying you want to rename your files, then you talking about changing the internal names. Offline list and the other renamer will change the filenames of both the Zip file and the .nds within that file. Do NDS roms even have an internal name like lgc-cvdu.nds etc. I mean the games themselves, if they are clean dumps, will not have "lgc-cvdu" as a title.. the only title it will have it what the DS firmwire shows to let you know what cartridge you have in lot 2. If "thats" what you want to change then to my knowledge there are no programs that can do that. But if the R4 goes by that name, its a bit silly.

11. DirtyH

Newcomer DirtyH Advanced Member

Germany
  12. Volume

Newcomer Volume Member

United States
    Just so I dont hi-jack, the OP is using a DS-X. In my example I just used an R4, because I forgot what he said he was using, and because thats what I will be getting. [​IMG]

13. 111111111

Member 111111111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Zimbabwe
    The R4 shows both the filename and the Internal Title.

list of filenames on the top screen (whatever filename you have chose, so if you rename "lgc-cvdu" to "Castlevania - Dawn of Sorrow.nds" then the latter is what it will show up as.

On the bottom screen you have the currently highlighted game, and it shows you the internal title, the icon and some other spunk.

14. Volume

Newcomer Volume Member

United States
    Thanks for the info on the R4, 111111111. Thats totally reasonable to me.