DS Phat with v7 vs DS Lite at highest brightness

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Propionation, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Propionation
    OP

Newcomer Propionation Advanced Member

United States
    Hi I’m new to GBAtemp.
    I want to give my younger brother a DS for Christmas.
    I do not have a lot of money.
    I want to buy a used Phat DS with a newer version of firmware and flash it using a Supercard mini SD and a MML I already have.
    Once I flash the DS I will have the ability to change the brightness settings similar to the DS Lite.
    Question:
    Would a DS Phat flashed with v7 firmware have the same brightness as a DS Lite?
    I want to give my brother my Supercard mini SD and use the extra money to save up for a future flashcart for my flashed Polar White DS Lite.
    I want to be able to say hey here’s a DS I know it is bulky and used but it still has the same brightness as my DS Lite.
    I do not care if the DS Phat is too big for his fingers.
    Please feel free to comment on my kindness towards my brother. [​IMG]

-Propiontation

2. kingkong

Banned kingkong Banned

your brother will take away the lite from you anyway. and he will bully you once he has grown taller than you plus he will end up like kurt cobain probably because of you being greedy and making him a victim of society.

but no, the old ds is not as bright as the lite. thats cos the lite uses new/different led's.

3. stop_loading

Member stop_loading GBAtemp Regular

funny how people give their younger brother a ds phat [​IMG]

cuz what i did, i bought a new dsl and give it to my younger brother, and i gave him my m3 as well, while i stuck with ds phat with no flash cart [​IMG]

regarding your question, i dont think the flashme can change the brightness in ds phat, the ds phat brightness is fixed in hardware, i dont think you can change it in software

(i could be wrong though)

4. sixb0nes

Member sixb0nes GBAtemp Regular

Belgium
    No, of course not. That's just dumb. Buy a real DSLite.

5. Propionation
    OP

United States
    If a DS Phat cannot change brightness settings then what is this? and this?

Some how they are able to change their brightness settings. One claims it is due to the change in firmware. I want to know if they can turn the brighness settings up as high.

6. sixb0nes

Belgium
    As I said before, you cannot increase the brightness of the phat ds with a firmware hack. It might be possible with an LCD hardware mod, but that's going off on a tangent.

7. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    I think it just adds 3 even darker settings to the phat. The phat uses reflective LCDs that can be used without a backlight, like the original GBA. The lite uses non-reflective (or low reflective) screens that are extremely dark without a backlight.

8. sixb0nes

Belgium
    That seems like a logical explanation for those vids. There you have it.

9. rolandcs

Newcomer rolandcs Newbie

Australia
    The videos are of the very last generation of DS fats, they came with similar screens as the DS light and thus could change brightness. You cant just flash the firmware and change the brightness on an old ds fat

10. Propionation
    OP

United States
    That was the purpose of my question. Could I buy a Phat DS with a newer version of firmware and have it change the brightness settings so it is as bright as a DS lite?

11. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    If they had given the newer phats the same screen as the lite they would have given it the same brightness settings as the lite, and even if they didn't change the brightness settings the screen would be much brighter.

If the newer phat screens are the same as the lite screens you will not be able to turn the backlight off like the older phats. You cannot see the lite screens without a backlight and Nintendo would not have an option to make the screens completely unusable.

Flashme will at best slightly increase the brightness; the backlight is not the big difference between the screens on the two systems.

12. Tripp

Member Tripp GBAtemp Regular

United States
    oops I was looking for quotes on your question and I think I responed to the old thread... [​IMG]

See my responce below...

The story goes (or Myth as I have no personal experience) they were using the same version of hardware (chips) in the last batch of V.5 phats as they used in DS Lites. They just didn’t turn on the brightness feature. So if you have one of the last V.5 firmware phats with the correct chips then it is said to work, but did all V.5 phats contain the right chips I have seen many discussions about… [​IMG]

Link to check firmware... http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=29528&hl=version

Wish you luck... [​IMG]

13. Firon

Member Firon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Why the hell would you? The new phats that can do it would have even LESS battery life if you changed the brightness setting. And it still won't look as good as a Lite.