DS Phat R button failure.

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Heito, Apr 11, 2007.

Apr 11, 2007

DS Phat R button failure. by Heito at 11:06 PM (1,085 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Heito
    OP

Member Heito Advanced Member

United States
    For the past month my DS (Phat)'s R button is unresponsive most of the time I press it, and now it seems to have stopped working completely. It's not just the game, it happens in every game no matter if its a ROM or a real cartridge. I've tried using an index card to clean around the button and also blowing on it to try and clean it, and it seems to work for a bit but then it stops working after a few presses again. It's an old DS that I bought the year the system came out, and also flashme was installed onto it. The warranty is definitely up, so a free repair is out of the picture.

I was wondering if there's a way to fix this myself or should I send it to nintendo? I don't want to lose my DS, and I can't afford a new one at the moment. Any input is welcomed.

2. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    It's actually a common problem with every Nintendo handheld since the GBA. Have you been carrying it around in your pocket without a case? It does that because (usually) dust and crud gets all up in there. Google and searching the boards might yield some results.

Strategy 1:
    A guide was posted a while back where you had to open up the system and clean out the well with rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip. That solution requires a tri-wing screw driver you have to order online though.

Strategy 2:
    There's another solution. Hit your DS really hard on the unresponsive shoulder button. Karate chop it, smack it against a table, drop it. A lot of people have reported this working, and I myself have witness the karate chop method working. Of course, most people puss out on this option, despite the effectiveness.

Strategy 3:
    Nintendo will repair your DS for a nominal fee.

I think there should be a page on this in the gbatemp wiki.

3. Trune

Member Trune GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Hitting an electronic device is never good...
    All its doing is knocking things back in place but you could also be knocking other things out of place as well...

4. chalupa

Member chalupa GBAtemp Fan

United States
    man i feel your pain, had this happen on all of my ds's (all 6 of them) thankfully i still had my warranty on them so they got fixed.
    my advice? pray to Jesus above that he floats down and personally gives you a new ds, a lite this time around.

5. Heran Bago

United States
    While I entirely agree with you in theory, it's difficult to argue with results.
    I assume it knocks the dust/crud out of place, rather than the shoulder button actually back into place.

6. Heito
    OP

United States
    Yeah I did keep it in my pocket a lot without a case.

I've given the hitting thing a try, but no luck so far. How hard do I gotta hit this thing? I'm afraid I'm gonna break something :wtf:

7. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    That happened to me twice (once with L and once with R). Nintendo replaced it for free both times. Of course, it was under warranty (and still is, every time they fix it you get another year).

8. Heran Bago

United States
    It's pretty scary. People have reported accidentally dropping it onto a hardwood or tile floor from standing. I can't imagine not breaking something that way. If a good smack against a table corner doesn't do it I'd opt for the alcohol treatment since I have a tri-wing.

Maybe phone in for a $$ estimate from Nintendo?

9. Heito
    OP

United States
    Well good news, I slammed it really hard multiple times on the table edge, and it seems to be working pretty well now (knock on wood, heheh) definitely a ton better then before (works everytime I press it, and even works when I hold it down).

Thanks for the advice, it worked!