DS Motion Pak

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by shaunj66, May 30, 2007.

May 30, 2007

DS Motion Pak by shaunj66 at 4:15 PM (4,607 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. shaunj66
    OP

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom

DS Motion Pak

New slot 2 tilt sensor

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The team that brought us the original NDS Motion card are soon going to release a slot 2 variation of the device, a choice they perhaps should have taken initially. This slot 2 motion card should prove a tad more useful for homebrew developments than the original slot 1 device.
    The motion sensing device contains an accelerometer and gyroscope, which adds full motion sensing functionality to the DS similar to that of the Nintendo Wii.
    The NDS motion pak should be released soon.

[​IMG] Home page

2. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    Nice news!!
    Maybe ill buy one when they come out [​IMG]

*EDIT* FIRST [​IMG]

3. Spikey

Member Spikey Your Special Someone

United States
    While interesting... I don't think anything amazing or must have will come out of it... which is kinda sad... [​IMG]

4. OrR

Member OrR Rice-megatron Expert

Germany
    Well, I already find the marble labyrinth game quite amazing, even though it's very simple. It needs to be made into a full game! There are other interesting developments, for example Mental Pong and the game where you have to rotate three objects which is kind of insane. The tech demos already prove that there is a lot of potential and I'm sure at least some of it will be used in the future.

@ Shaun's comment: The Motion Card and Motion Pak are both necessary because many people still use slot 2 flashcards and will continue to do so. Back when the Motion Card was made half a year ago, the slot 1 flashcards were just starting to become useful. They are still a quite recent development.
    Both devices will work on the same games and are fully compatible. (Well, old demos/games have to be recompiled, first.)

5. Louse76

Member Louse76 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    What needs to happen is Nintendo putting one out. Then we could see integration with Wii Games which would be...

wait for it...

AWESOME!!!

6. imgod22222

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    I find it strange the the bottom pins are totally bare, with no casing, and that it is a single-axis gyroscope. The wiimote has 3: twist, yaw, and pitch. And yes, both of them have 3 axis accelerometers. The plastic casing is lite-sized, but the PCB is Phat-sized... :/

7. Verocity

Member Verocity Ö!

United States
    Mm That thing looks shexy.

8. moose3

Member moose3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Only bad thing is I do not see the device selling many units until there is a really killer app released first, and that may take a while for someone to get that fully motivated in such a project without more units sold so users can take advantage of the program. Unless there is space on the pcb to add more components... combine this with the EZ-V 3 in 1 expansion pack, and you then get the 'wow' factor of one small add-on component giving you so many options and abilities.

9. MaHe

Member MaHe one lazy schmo

Slovenia
    Umm, do not want to burst your bubble, but there's no team behind DS Motion Pak/Card. Only one, single person ... [​IMG]

10. imgod22222

United States
    Anyways, worst case scenario they could probably stack two PCBs in the case, and connect them with a ribboncable, like they did in one of the lite-sized flascharts that accepted microSD. I THINK it was the G6 lite.

11. funem

Member funem Retro Powered..

United Kingdom
    Funny enough I think the slot 2 device for homebrew would probably be the norm as most people these days would be using a slot one card for the DS games. The smart money would be on the first people to integrate the mechanism into a slot one card like the R4 or M3.

12. frawdee

Newcomer frawdee Newbie

Norway
    you want a killer app ey? check out DSaber young padawan.

13. mooiweer

Member mooiweer GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    maybe its from the man himself but he forgot to integrate:wario ware twisted (!good thing its seems available now!) amazing how such things run when thinking about it

14. imgod22222

United States
    Yeah, but for slot 1 cards, its hard to fit all the components onto one PCB, even using front and back, because You need a certain thickness PCB or it won't fit in the DS and stuff that goes on the back need to be extremely small, or have no 'height' so it can fit in the DS card casing.

15. A Divine Unicorn

Newcomer A Divine Unicorn Advanced Member

United States
    i'm sorry, but i just don't see any point to the lightsaber DS thing. you swing your DS and it makes lightsaber sounds... why not just buy a lightsaber at toys R us and that way you get the sounds AND actually hitting stuff with it... and it's probably cheaper.

16. Ben_j

Member Ben_j GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    What with the accelerometer ? I don't think it's going to be useful. Except for a game like :

"Throw your DS as hard as you can on a wall ! 1 point per km/h when it hits the wall !"

17. sipoon

Member sipoon GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    Have you even tried Wario:Ware twisted ?
    My goodness, the rumble and the motion sensing were a perfect match, much much better than anything on a console
    I was quite puzzled that they did the accelerometer thing as a one-off for the GBA,
    i was hoping there would be an expansion pack for the DS with rumble/motionsensing,
    I guess at least this is something

18. jonny_eh

Newcomer jonny_eh Member

Canada
    First person to get Kirby's Tilt and Tumble to work with this through Goomba wins a prize! I still play that game on my gameboy colour (it doesn't work with the GBA SP, since the slot is on the bottom)

19. bugmenot52

bugmenot52 Newbie

Did you know that all the tilt sensing of the Wiimote comes from a 3-axis accellerometer? The Wiimote does not have a gyroscope.

Except for when the pointing functionality is active, all of the movement detection the wiimote does is from a 3-axis accelerometer.

So the accelerometer in this can be used the same way. Image a racing game where steering can be accomplished by tilting the DS left or right by a little bit. (Full steering should probably be achieved with only a 30 degree tilt or so, to keep the game playable). Things like that... I would still be more excited about the whole thing if this was an official option pak, as it seems unlikely any commercial games will ever use this.

20. Sweater Fish Del

Member Sweater Fish Del GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You'll notice that the cartridge design is basically the same as NeoFlash's NEO2 carts. I'm pretty sure NeoFlash is manufacturing these carts for KiethE, who did the original design. They also market a version of his original slot-1 Motion Card with additional features like nopass and just enough space for a homebrew game. It's too bad in my opinion, since NeoFlash is a shit company who I won't deal with, but I bought his original self distributed card as soon as it came out, so I don't need another one.

As for the gyroscopes, these kits all use the same off-the-shelf chip which contains three accelerometers and one gyroscope all built in. Keith says that this chip was the best choice when he considered physical size and cost as well as offered features. Depending on how the system is held, you can get yaw and pitch detection by using the accelerometers and gravity anyway. This technique is used in the marble maze game that someone already mentioned.

...word is bondage...