Hacking DS-Mode Flashcart with Homebrew to load 3DS games

The9thBit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I'm just making a thought here, so don't lash out at me if I'm missing some obvious detail. Anyway, I was thinking; it's obvious why carts like the R4i RTS (the one I have personally) can't run 3DS backups; they're designed only for NDS games. However, I was thinking that it may be possible to load a .3DS file from a DS-Mode flashcart. The general idea is that you'd load up your MicroSD with your 3DS backups, and then using Tubehax or Ironhax (maybe even Ninjihax) you would load content from your Flashcart in 3DS mode. I'm no expert, but I don't think you need kernal access to direct memory to the game slot.

Thoughts, confirmations, or proof against would be appreciated!

olshrimpeyes

Your question is bad and you should feel bad
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This goes against the design of all these things. The R4 cards don't have access to the microSD storage until the firmware is started up (boot chain is like this firmware->kernel->ROM). This means that even if the *hax could access the data in the EEPROM (which at the moment we can not) we would have launch the firmware into ds mode which requires killing the homebrew launcher. Another thing to consider is while they seem pretty similar I believe (not positive though) DS & 3DS carts have some pretty big differences between their designs. I know that at the very least the 3DS carts have much bigger ROMs and flash storage for the saves. Now let's say you were able to get over all those hurdles (the hardware differences between the carts would be pretty much impossible to overcome), and load a 3DS ROM into the R4 EEPROM it might still be tricky (read probably impossible) to get the device to launch it because it would still look like a DS cart. Even then this still only be able to do what sky3ds can do pretty making the development of this extremely redundant.

Last edited by olshrimpeyes, , Reason: words
Reactions: lemanuel

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I'm just making a thought here, so don't lash out at me if I'm missing some obvious detail. Anyway, I was thinking; it's obvious why carts like the R4i RTS (the one I have personally) can't run 3DS backups; they're designed only for NDS games. However, I was thinking that it may be possible to load a .3DS file from a DS-Mode flashcart. The general idea is that you'd load up your MicroSD with your 3DS backups, and then using Tubehax or Ironhax (maybe even Ninjihax) you would load content from your Flashcart in 3DS mode. I'm no expert, but I don't think you need kernal access to direct memory to the game slot.

Thoughts, confirmations, or proof against would be appreciated!

I'm sorry dude but I think you should read a little more before sharing this kind of thoughts, you literally wrote several impossible things.

1) There is no way you could ever load a 3DS rom from a R4 kind of flash cart, because they are built using different technology in them to begin with.

2) Tubehax and Ironhax don't have kernel access to load any kind of rom/rom loader/rom installer/CFW, they are strictly userland entry points.

3) You can't just use a program to change a flash cart from DS mode to 3DS mode and have something like Sky3ds by clicking a button, someone would have figured a way to do this long time ago even if the idea was acceptable.

4) You don't think you need kernel access to direct memory to the game slot... Any evidence why would you need or not kernel access to do this?

You didn't miss an obvious detail on how things work, you missed the whole set of rules, there is many, MANY other reasons why non of this 4 things aren't possible, is like people saying that we should just simply "take the salt out of the sea water and there we have unlimited water supply in the world".

I'm not trying to put you down by using your creativity, but you went wild right here breaking all the rules lol

Last edited by Tony_93,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night