DS Micro - will it ever exist?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Warm Woolly Shee, Feb 8, 2007.

Feb 8, 2007
  1. Warm Woolly Shee
    OP

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Gameboy Micro is the best handheld Nintendo has made, simply because it fits in my pocket.

The DS Lite is huge in comparison. When I put it in my pocket it takes up my entire pocket with an ugly rectangle bulge. When I play a DS Lite, it's usually at home, on a plane, or somewhere that I planned to take it. The Micro, on the other hand, is always on me. If I run into an unexpected wait, 45 minutes for a seat at a restaurant, it's there to keep me from boredom. The micro is smaller than my cellphone.

So here's my dream:

A DS Micro, same size as the original micro, but with a flip screen.

I don't know if it's technically possible, but I do know that DS games are surprisingly small. If the DS gave up GBA compatiblity, that's a whole lot of room freed up.

Gameboy Micro was a huge failure for Nintendo. Nobody bought it. But maybe that wasn't the Micro's fault - Nintendo doesn't think so as you can see here:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/kessan/060607qa_e/03.html
    Nintendo blames marketing for Micro's failure, not the Micro itself.

If they were to try again and make a DS Micro, would you buy it?

2. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    Hmm, personally I disliked the micro, it seemed too small and quite uncomfortable to play. I didn't own one but did spend some time playing on the model at work [​IMG]
    I don't think the Ds lite could get smaller... thiner probably, but any smaller in the actual size would bring the screens/buttons too close to each other and make it difficult to play.

3. teh_raf3

Member teh_raf3 Whatever suits you

Belgium
    They would have to make smaller screens and that will lead to inaccuracy on the touch screen. Imagine Elite Beat Agents on a smaller screen, it won't be that easy anymore to press the right button.

4. txt

Newcomer txt Member

United States
    The Micro is just a bit too small, also Buttons arent perfect. Since Micro was a failure there will be no Ds Micro.

The GBA SP is the perfect Handheld, I know for SURE there will be a SMALL Nintendo Ds lite SP ! The Lite is still way too big for a handheld, its 80% plastic that can be made much smaller!

5. Warm Woolly Shee
    OP

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Actually, Gameboy Micro buttons are bigger than SP or the original GBA. What didn't you like about them?

But yeah, good point about the DS screen size - they just couldn't get any smaller without the stylus getting smaller too, imagine playing Elite Beat Agents with a needle.

I just can't figure out any way to make this:

[​IMG]

smaller without sacrificing the screen size too much.

Aside from different colors, is this the last DS before a new system is released?

6. gr33dy

Member gr33dy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    ROFL

7. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    You're right, the only way would be to use smaller screens and drop the GBA support. And the stylus would be beyond silly. Physically the DS screens do have quite a large border around them but it must be like that for a reason.

Nintendo are right, there's nothing wrong with the micro itself. It was releasing the micro so late in the GBA's lifespan and after the DS that was the problem. The prices of the two systems were so similar (Micro £70, DS phat £90) that people went for extra funtionality and a longer lifespan rather than size. If the micro had been around the £50 price mark Id've gotten one of those instead.

After the problems with the micro I think Nintendo'll think twice before remodelling a console for the third time again.

8. Devil_Spawn

Member Devil_Spawn GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    i was thinking the exact same thing whilst i was reading your post

9. 111111111

Member 111111111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Zimbabwe
    why would a smaller screen = smaller stylus?

No matter the size of screen you purchase a stylus based on the size of your hands..

If you're a child you keep the default ds one, if an adult buy a proper sized one. a smaller screen won't change that.

10. digimax

Newcomer digimax Member

they probably can remove the GBA slot to reduce thickness, but the footprint/surface area of the DS lite is already really small.

11. Psyfira

United Kingdom
    The problem is that a small DS means smaller storage space for the stylus to slot into (and IMO the DS phat's stylus is far too small as it is). I suppose they could switch to extendable stylus.

12. SynGamer

Member SynGamer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The DSL is fine...any smaller and adults such as my self probably won't be able to use it. I already get a slight cramp in my thumb...

13. kev3458

Member kev3458 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Smaller screen + normal stylus = bad calibration, accuracy etc.

I think DS is fine the way it is. DS ---> Lite works well for me.

14. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    It took me a while to get used to the gameboy micro. Its just too small. I've never carried it with me in my pocket as it looks too fragile. The GBA SP though, that is still the best handheld you can get for carrying around in your pocket.

As for the DS Micro I can't see how nintendo can make the lite any smaller without making the screens smaller. A touch screen as big as the gameboy micro will be too small to play any touch screen game.

15. Firon

Member Firon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The DS Lite is just fine, I don't want it to be any smaller.

16. 111111111

Member 111111111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Zimbabwe
    That's not true at all.

I use a full size stylus (as do other people on here) and have no calibration or accuracy problems.

Psyfira's explanation makes sense - they would just have to leave the stylus slot out of any miniature version of the ds that they ever release.. =]

17. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I thought people were complaining that the DSL was so small it was uncomfortable to play? Now someone wants it smaller?

Even if they make a smaller model I sure as heck won't buy it. I wouldn't even mind if the DSL was slightly larger... I was more concerned with the brightness of the screen and extended battery life.

18. Psyfira

United Kingdom
    I think the size is fine, it's the shape of the Lite that makes it uncomfortable to hold. The two bottom corners dig into your palm, they should've been rounded off on the top or something.

19. StuKeeler

Newcomer StuKeeler Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Perhaps a gentle curving chamfer of the bottom corners (and matching negative chamfer corners on lid).

I don't think the DSL will get any smaller without sacrificing something. Take a look at it and think about the space each part takes up inside the unit.... the touchscreen, the stylus (when inside), the battery, slot 1... pretty crammed already. You can see in this interesting video; Nintendo DS Lite Totally Disassembled (rather him than me!!)

As people have said, it's the screen and stylus that pose the biggest problems. Electronics can (and no doubt will) develop smaller components, games could come on smaller carts (similar to micro SD's or smaller!), but our eyes and hands can't be changed so we need screens and styli of a certain size.

20. bl21

Newcomer bl21 Advanced Member

United States
    i actually expect ds lite had a larger screen like psp, it will still be portable, but can make game experience much sweeter.