DS Lite's DPad got a bug

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by test84, Mar 18, 2008.

Mar 18, 2008

DS Lite's DPad got a bug by test84 at 6:15 PM (1,286 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. test84
    OP

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    Hi,
    My DS Lite's DPad got a problem and its that whenever I press right on it, its supposed to go all way down to DS's surface and then come up, but it doesnt. A little of it stays in and doesnt come up after you leave the DPad and whenever you press LEFT (the opposite direction), it will make a small noice and first that little stuck part comes up and then it goes down all way to left.

The part that stays when you press right is so annoying, I assume its about the plastic that is under the DPad that is faulty.

Is it possible to fix? Should I open it? does anyone have that tutorial which was around last year about openning the DS?

2. test84
    OP

Iran
    anyone? anything? pst.

3. PlooBloo

Member PlooBloo GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You think you might've gotten something underneath it maybe? Never happened to me, so I'm not really sure, but here's a video on how to disassemble DSes. http://youtube.com/watch?v=vRzTgfo2PsM

If this is really annoying you, and if your DS is still under Nintendo warranty, why don't you send it back to them? My boyfriend said they were willing to give him a new DS rofl.

4. test84
    OP

Iran
    I dont live in US (and thats where my DS was bought) and it passed from its 1 year warranty.

I doubt anything got under it because it sounds like it sticks to the bottom board or something where DPad's underneath plastic thing is and when I press the opposite direction, it sounds like it got jumps up and then moves.

Would you post pics for me? Since I'm on dial up and cant see youTube. I remember there was a famous web page for disassembling DS (wher eis FAST when you need one?)

Since opening the DS is kinda risky for me (since it has a crack on its hinge and I'm afraid of making it worse and risk of not being able to put it together as its first day) I just want to be sure that I can do something about that bug before opening it and thus making this topic.

5. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    It sounds like you have soiled the inner workings of your D-pad. My friend has a habit of spilling beer on his video game controllers, and the same thing happens. Sticky controls suck.

Unfortunately, the only way to fix a dirty controller is to open it and clean it.

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I would go with dirt or the button needs to be reseated (a sharp horizontal shunt or repeated action tends to do this). As Destructobot says it is open the DS time.

thieves like us was the one with the tutorial here and there are loads of tutorials on the subject too:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=343...t=0&start=0

7. test84
    OP

Iran
    Thnx for helps but how dirt could've get there? its inside the system.

and I didnt get the shunt part.

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
  9. test84
    OP

Iran
    thnx for pic, but what could be a problem there? light gray part?

10. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Underneath the D-pad there is a grey rubber thingy with little black thingies on the bottom (you can see this in the upper left part of the pic). The rubber is the "spring" that pushes the pad/buttons back out after they are pressed, and the black thingies are conductors that complete a circuit when they are pressed against the pads on the PCB (you can see these in the pic directly below the D-Pad & rubber bit).

Any dirt or other filth that would cause the pad to stick would most likely be on the sides of the D-pad, the case around the D-pad opening, or the rubber bit. You can clean the D-pad and rubber bit with running water. I don't think that part of the case will come off without further disassembly, so a damp cloth is probably your best bet for that.