Hacking ds lite will not power on

blas77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone. I'm trying to fix a ds lite I found, but I'm stuck. At first glance you would think it is one of the f1/f2 fuses or both. When I attempt to power on, the green light comes on for a brief moment, then the top screen faintly flashes and it shuts off. You can also hear a click from the speakers as it shuts off. When I say the top screen "faintly" flashes, I really mean faintly. I wasn't sure it was doing it until I checked it in a pitch dark room. The screen flashing happens dimly and in a fraction of a second.

I opened it up and checked the f1 and f2 fuses with a multimeter, and they are working. I tested it with working screens from a flawless ds, and it still exhibits the same symptoms. The board does not seem to have water damage, but the ribbon connector from the original top screen (i used a new one to test it) does have burnt spot on the 4th and 5th wires where it connects.
It seems like a fuse did go bad and it caused the damage on the cable, but which other fuse could it be if f1 and f2 are ok?

Thank you for your time. any advice is greatly appreciated...

The_Dragons_Mast

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
The screen flashing then closing quickly usually means a problem with the connection between the screen & the ds so either the screen is dead or broken ribbon cable .
The fix for both cases would be to get yourself a new upper screen & replace it.

blas77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The_Dragons_Master_F said:
The screen flashing then closing quickly usually means a problem with the connection between the screen & the ds so either the screen is dead or broken ribbon cable .
The fix for both cases would be to get yourself a new upper screen & replace it.

Thanks for replying.
I also thought the screen might be the problem, but I used working screens to test and the symptoms continue. If it is not the screen, ribbon, or the f1 f2 fuses, what else could it be?

blas77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice guys. I just got home and will be testing again. I'll come back soon and let you know what happened.

blas77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it is definitely not the screens or the cables. I've tested with good screens several times now. I've been very careful connecting everything, I'm sure it is not a connection problem. I've now even replaced the f1 and f2 fuses but the symptoms persist. Is there any other fuses that can go bad on the ds lite?
Thanks...

caaraa

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
22.gif

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Maybe, but just maybe... the ribbon cable slot went loose (the one soldered at the motherboard), and it needs re-soldering. Since this "flashing" occurs because of loose contact in the flex cable (ribbon) or an irregularity through fuses. Clean the said surface by using a toothbrush adding a bit (just a bit please) of alcohol to clean the soldered points may help.

blas77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your helpful advice. I still cant get it to work. I examined the ribbon slots carefully and found no flaw in the solder points. I did clean them with a toothbrush but still the same symptoms. I guess I'll just keep this one for parts. Thanks again...

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's getting power; I'm wondering what would happen if you tried booting up a DS with faulty memory or flash memory. To me, it sounds like it is passing the safety checks to begin booting up but doesn't know what to load or cannot processing things into memory.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    StatusN @ StatusN: hi, i need help with unbanning my 3ds, can somebody show me a link to a seed that still works...