Gaming DS lite turns on then immediately off.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, this is what I got going on.

Got a DS lite here that from what was talked about, implied that it was the screens. as a measure of total repair, ordered both screens replaced. Finished disassembling and reinstalling the screeens and even got the stupid ribbon cable for the top screen sorted.But now, even after the pain of all that, it still exhibits the same problem.

Flick the power switch on.
Green light comes on, briefly goes brighter.
Top screen flashes and then it completely turns off.

Been trying to get this fixed for a friend, and given it's still experiencing the same problem, I'm stumped. And google seems to actively troll me instead of helping me find something to help.

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is probably some ribbon somewhere that is not connected properly. Try making sure they are all in, then try killing the battery in another ds, and charging it all the way (just because thats probably the next thing someone will have you do).

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

o0-Matty-0o

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, the DS Lite code of faults is.

Bottom screen flashes on then off = top screen fault.
Top screen flashes on then off = bottom screen fault.

Sometimes when you order new parts - a defective one could arrive, so if you still have the old bottom screen - try it on it.

Or check the ribbon is connected properly, it should be in a straight line.

Worst case scenario the connector could be damaged, (sometimes this can be caused by the DS getting wet, but i've also had a couple that had dodgy connectors without the console ever being wet)

o0-Matty-0o

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
l but in my case the screen don't even turn on .... whenturn it bo

On the thread you posted a couple of pictures of a mark on the motherboard,

dsc021232-jpg.34101

Looking at that - it looks like it's had liquid spilt on it at some point, the problem is with liquid damage sometimes things start to have a mind of their own and will work sometimes but not others, so it could be any of those chips to the left side of the mark, sometimes turning a device on after it's been wet can short the circuits

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, the DS Lite code of faults is.

Bottom screen flashes on then off = top screen fault.
Top screen flashes on then off = bottom screen fault.

Sometimes when you order new parts - a defective one could arrive, so if you still have the old bottom screen - try it on it.

Or check the ribbon is connected properly, it should be in a straight line.

Worst case scenario the connector could be damaged, (sometimes this can be caused by the DS getting wet, but i've also had a couple that had dodgy connectors without the console ever being wet)
Is it really that simple? I'm going to give that a shot as soon as I get home. :)

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
On the thread you posted a couple of pictures of a mark on the motherboard,

Looking at that - it looks like it's had liquid spilt on it at some point, the problem is with liquid damage sometimes things start to have a mind of their own and will work sometimes but not others, so it could be any of those chips to the left side of the mark, sometimes turning a device on after it's been wet can short the circuits
this spot today looks like a "bubble ".. I think I can remove/break this easily like an egg (?) to see how it looks inside there but I'm afraid :v I really can't imagine how liquid entered there :v but coming from the owner of this... well idk XD

hobbledehoy899

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Looks like somebody installed ARM9loaderhax onto it! These things are notorious for being easily breakable if not handled properly/with care.

o0-Matty-0o

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
this spot today looks like a "bubble ".. I think I can remove/break this easily like an egg (?) to see how it looks inside there but I'm afraid :v I really can't imagine how liquid entered there :v but coming from the owner of this... well idk XD

With that being just to the side of where the battery goes - the battery could have leaked ?

DS.png

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I tried swapping both bottom screens I have available. No dice. I also tried just plugging the DS lite in with no battery, and it would recognize that something was plugged in, but its light would turn off immediately and refuse to power on.

It's starting to look more and more like the fuse, which would require more soldering work. So, what kind of fuses are these, and would they be available at Fry's Electronics by chance...? I would look up Radio Shack, but seems they've all disappeared. :unsure:

o0-Matty-0o

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i've got an idea i think

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Here i'm running a DS Lite using 2 bottom screens, no top screens, although the top screen ribbon cable is a little wider due to the speakers, the bottom screen can still be plugged in

WP_20160609_003.jpg

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

WP_20160609_004_Copy.jpg

WP_20160609_005_Copy.jpg

Make sure that you put the ribbon cable to the left side of the socket

you should then be able to work out if it's a screen at fault, your top screen obviously works as it flashes, so if the bottom screens flash when plugged in to the top screen socket like above you'll know they work,

hope that helps :)

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IT could be a weak solder at a point, as I dropped my old DS Lite back in 2007, and a bit of solder repaired that same problem that I had, but the DS would randomly shut off after the problem was fixed. A weak solder could've made a capacitor pop out.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Small update. Just got home, havent' tried putting both bottom screens on the thing yet to see if one faults or not.

Friend picked up one of these digital multimeters for me, but I'll be honest... I have no idea how to use one; I literally never used one before.

So, I'm guessing I can use this to check the fuses, but where, and how?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: damn wifi