Gaming DS lite turns on then immediately off.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so well the problem wheren't the screens ... what about the fuses?
maybe if I knew how to work the multimeter, but it isn't really reacting. there's literally no reaction when putting the red and black feelers on them in diode mode. With resistance and the dial on 200, nothing registers. at 2000 it shows a small amount of resistance at either end.

blax722

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey! With that multimeter, I am not sure if you can measure continuity with the diode option someone mentioned. If you connect the test leads together (with diode option on multimeter), does it show something different than when you dont have? If yes, you could teoretically test it by putting the leads from both sides of fuse, if it changes value or just something on multimeter display changes like when you put the leads together, the fuse is ok, if not, it's blown up.
Also, if the value on multimeter does not change when you try to put test leads together, you will need multimeter with continuity check. Hope it helps!

o0-Matty-0o

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Stop pulling the poor blokes leg about his fuses :rofl2: he'll end up prodding them with his multi meter and breaking them.

There is no chance that the fuses would effect the screen from turning on. It would be totally dead, or work fine but not charge.

Could be a problem with the connector for the bottom screen. hold your finger on it while turning it on,

Look at the connector on the new motherboard closely and then on your old motherboard to see if you can see any damage.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This just gets weirder and weirder.

Okay. First ds is being written off since at this point, thinking it's the board.

For the second, all I had to do was a shell swap. New shell came with buttons and even new overlays for each screen.

Got everything over. System started out working perfectly. But now, after the shell swap, the touch screen on the 2nd ds lite stopped working. Reopening it again, shows the digitizers cable is plugged in.

What the hell is going on? :wacko:

testerfan

Trophies
Website
www.fixxmaster.com
XP
Country
United States
ok, it's very easy then to peel off the top plastic layer off the touch screen while removing old outliner (doesn't have to come off completely), so that's most likely why it's not responding now, it's either that or the cable has been inserted/re-inserted too many times into connector and now it's just bent (basically broken, even though it may not appear as such)

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, per the advice given, I tried swapping bottom screens, and digitizers together. This at least got the 2nd DS lite working, and i was able to hand it over to them just in time for some weekend trip.

That just leaves the first unit to still worry about.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, trying the known working screen I had to grab out of the 2nd ds lite, but again, all it does is the exact same thing. Turns on, flashes the top screen, then immediately turns off again.

In the meantime, I also received another RMA'd bottom screen to try out. Same difference.

If I try both bottom screens, I just see the LED turn on, flash, and then turn off. Nothing shows up on either screen.

Close-up of the bottom screen connector
576f3fbccc731.jpg

The screen with the new trim thing around it, that SHOULD still work, but isn't on this remaining DS lite
576f405221f1c.jpg

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just as confused too.

So far, any combination of both bottom screens attached just gets the LED to turn on and then off.

If I plug in the top screen and ANY of the bottom screens, it flashes the top screen and turns off immediately.

o0-Matty-0o

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got 3 motherboards here and when i attach 2 bottom screens (one in the top screen slot) i can get them to power up, so it's very odd that you can't get them to light up even when plugged in to the top connector,

If you get round to trying it again, take a photo of how you have the bottom screen plugged into the top screen connector,

Also a photo of your bottom screen connector - without any LCD plugged in and me or someone else on here may spot something with it,

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know why I am having such a hard time getting images uploaded on here. Phone flat out refuses to take any good close-ups of the DS board, and when I use my actual camera to get these pictures, then GBAtemp insists they're too damn big and refuses to let me upload them. Augh! Sick of it.

o0-Matty-0o

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The problem with the bottom photo (of the bottom lcd in the top lcd socket) - is the wire isn't connected in far enough, it's got to pretty much touch the white connector before you close the flap,

BOTTOM_LCD.png

Your bottom lcd connector pins look fine and in good condition

o0-Matty-0o

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Heres my bottom lcd plugged in to the top lcd socket, you can see how the dark edge of the wire is flush with the end of the white socket and in a straight line across the flap,

MY_BOTTOM_LCD.jpg

My bottom lcd connector
Bottom_No_LCD.jpg

My bottom lcd plugged in
Bottom_LCD.jpg

Check the flap on the lcd connector is straight like the orange line on the pic below, sometimes they can bow a little like the red line i've put there, which stops the lcd working, (if it's bowed, open the flap and gently push the middle then when you close it, it should be straight again)
Flap.jpg

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with the bottom photo (of the bottom lcd in the top lcd socket) - is the wire isn't connected in far enough, it's got to pretty much touch the white connector before you close the flap,

BOTTOM_LCD.png

Your bottom lcd connector pins look fine and in good condition
well, I seem to be running into another problem, in that it seems that it will flat out refuse to let me push it any more to the left/right.

Like, I try to slide it as far to the board's right as I can, but it just won't go any further.

But again, if I plug in a proper top screen in that top connector, I just get the top screen to flash and it immediately turns off.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Are you going to bake yourself a cake?