BoGG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Howdy..

I want to get a DS Lite for my friend that I go meet in Asia in July, they're cheaper here than over there. I have no interest in the new DSi and really want to get a good old DS Lite which is cheaper and does what I need. Should I run to the store now to be sure I get one or are suppliers still gonna fill the store shelves for some time even with the DSi out.

I would normally wait to get it just a little before I leave but on the other hand I don't want to get screwed and forced to buy a Region-locked US DSi that won't give me anything more since it's to be used in Asia.

Anyone have inputs on this ?
blink.gif

zero383

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I believe that the Lite will still be sold for quite some time. Nintendo has stated that the DSi will be released as a "third pillar" meaning alongside the DSLite and Wii, and not a direct replacement for the Lite. Also, keep in mind that the DSi no longer has a Slot 2 meaning the Lite is the only other system that are compatible with those carts. It makes no sense for Nintendo to discontinue the Lite right now.

BoGG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo said that.. you got any article about it ?? Anyone else seen that statement.. I like what I hear but someone seconding the idea would make me feel even more confident about it
happy.gif

issy12

Trophies
XP
Country
even if the ds lite won't be in stores like GAME and gamestation i'm sure they will still be sold on the internet [not sure if you want that tho] i mean the original ds' are still being sold on the internet now for pretty cheap. i do agree with zero383 [not sure about the statement] but its true that dsi has no slot 2 and guitar hero fans and people who love their old gba games[pokemon
wacko.gif
] should keep the ds lite sales up.

Im not exactly and expert on this stuff but im just assuming
tongue.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zero383 said:
I believe that the Lite will still be sold for quite some time. Nintendo has stated that the DSi will be released as a "third pillar" meaning alongside the DSLite and Wii, and not a direct replacement for the Lite. Also, keep in mind that the DSi no longer has a Slot 2 meaning the Lite is the only other system that are compatible with those carts. It makes no sense for Nintendo to discontinue the Lite right now.

Don't think for a second that they won't phase out the DSlite within the next year or two. They made the DSi simply so they could cut down on piracy with firmware updates to eliminate flashcarts and just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't. They're just building up the install base of the DSi first before they end DSlite's life and start screwing peeps that bought a DSi flashcart. That "3rd pillar" stuff is a bunch of crap. Remember how the DS was supposed to be a "3rd pillar" to the GBA and their console? Where's GBA now? Dead, that's where. Same will happen to the DSlite.

So...you have about a year or two before DSlite's are gone from the retail market and all you'll be left with is the scammers on eBay or the DSi.

I'd be willing to bet on it.

mewcuss

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There should still be DSLites in stores up until January next year, at the very least . I can't see the retail stores buying new stock, just selling their old stock at cheaper prices or in bundles. Unless Nintendo decide to push the DSL (!!!) instead of the DSi.
rolleyes.gif

Does it have to be a brand new DSL?

Game(UK) have an offer on at the moment for a brand new DSi at £50 (when traded with a DSL and two games).
I presume other countries are/will be having similar offers so there will be an abundance of second hand Lites soon, hopefully lowering the prices of DSLs (new and used). Also, C ex. stores sell the bog standard colours (white,black,pink) cheaper than the other colours.
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: