DS Lite screen scratches too easily

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Shtroodle, Feb 25, 2007.

Feb 25, 2007
  1. Shtroodle
    OP

Newcomer Shtroodle Advanced Member

Czech Republic
    Maybe someone will remember me from few days ago when I was freaking out about my new DS Lite touch screen being darker, yellower and uglier than the top one. Okay, so I got over that in no time but now I noticed that the touch screen scratches too easily, and I have no idea what's going on.

Since this is my first DS and I've been using it for only few days, I was taking extra special care of it. I only used bundled stylus and I pressed on the touch screen so gently that most of the time it had problems even responding to the pressure. All in all, I was really careful but still I got some "major" scratches after only 3 days of usage. By "major" I mean hairline scratches and scuffs about few milimeters long here and there and finally - a big horizontal one which I made just 5 minutes ago while trying to break the row of ice blocks in "Castlevania - Dawn of Sorrow".

Now I don't want to start panicking over nothing but what the f**k does this suppose to mean? I havent played any touch screen excessive games, I tried to be gentle as ever, and still I managed to f**k up my screen in only few hours of gameplay. And please don't tell me I'm doing something wrong because I couldn't treat that machine any nicer.

I know maybe I should have used screen protectors and I did order them 3 weeks ago from play-asia.com, but they still haven't arrived. What am I supposed to do now? I don't even wanna touch the stupid thing cause it's only gonna get worse [​IMG]

2. skullstatue

Banned skullstatue Banned

United States
    Make sure they aren't oil tracks, they can look like real scratches. I have had my DS for a couple of months (returned old one) and I press down on it pretty hard (not careful at all because I have a two year warranty) and I do have some very tiny scratches. I have noticed that new versions of the DSL have different types of screen protection (the version from three months ago looks like a plastic grid) so it's hard to say what might be happening. I would suggest getting a screen protector but don't go with generic brands, they must be specifically designed for the DS or they will get scratched too easily. Just wait, I'm sure it will be fine.

P.S.
    If scratches become too much, there are substances that will completely remove them, I can't remember the specific name of the product but I do know it worked perfectly for me. I will have to find the bottle....

3. Shtroodle
    OP

Czech Republic
    I tried cleaning them with a very fine cloth (the one you use for cleaning your glasses and such) and they are indeed regular scratches. I even inspected the stylus tip for any foreign particles like dust but found nothing.

I've ordered some screen protectors from Hori and Taku but they haven't arrived yet and I don't really see the point in putting them over an already scratched display - although I understand that it would prevent more scratches in the future.

And I would be truly grateful if you could remember the name of that substance.

4. lolsjoel

Member lolsjoel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You could use Brasso on the screen to get out hairline scratches. I used to use it on my old DS.

5. gryto

Member gryto GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    In my experience, screen protectors do help to hide scratches. Scratches which are not deep may become completely hidden.

6. -EX-

Banned -EX- Racer

Japan
    I played Castlevania DoS from the beginning till end with no screen protectors at all on my old DS lite. There was no scratches at all. Make sure your screen is always clean as small things such as dust, sand or whatever may scratch it easily. Well, on my current DS I have Hori screen protectors, they are the best. It's so easily to use stylus on them. Before that, I had Gametech screen protectors, they're not bad actually, but it's a bit awkward to use stylus on them, and they tend to scratch fast. My Hori screens didn't get any scratches so far (4 months).

7. Shtroodle
    OP

Czech Republic
    I always try to make sure that the touch screen is clean before I get to use it. That's the reason I'm so baffled over this whole thing. I mean, if I hadn't been so careful I could easily accept that it was my fault. Oh well, maybe that's the whole point - if I used a sharpened nail for a stylus I would probably have no scratches at all. Thanks for the suggestions so far - hope there is a way to get rid of those small scratches before they get big (or before I make a thousand more of them with one touch of a pen).