Omoikane1979

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Foreword: This is my first post. So bear with me. If there is anything that I need to know feel free to do so.

As I searched through the GBAtemp forum on this screen protectors I still couldn't find a post that answers above question. I hope this will be of use to people who wish to buy one, but don't know which is best suited for their needs.
Most of the time the Hori screen protector is recommended, however in rare cases other brands have been put forward. I have encountered the following brands:
* Hori
* Capdase (Taku)
* Brando ultra clear screen protector
* JavoEdge
* ClearTouch Crystal™ screen protector
* Pelican
* Invisible Shield from Shieldzone screen protector
* BestSkinsEver screen protector
* GameMate
* Morigangu company (no brand indication on the cover except that it is licensed by Nintendo.)
* Any other company that isn't listed yet

So to those who own a screen protector I would like to know if they are willing to tell about their experience with that particular brand. I am particularly interested in:
* price: So people know what the costs of a genuine product is.
* touch ability: Did it affect the sensitivity of the touch screen? If so, how bad was it?
* application: Was it easy to apply?
* re-usable: Is it re-usable after (mis)applying it?
* durability: How long did it last before you had to replace it (when playing a lot of touch games)?
* scratch proof/resistant: There are some which claim to be like that(ClearTouch, BSE, IS). I want to know how much of it is true.
* visibility: Need I explain? ^_-
* discoloring (if any): In what way did it discolor? E.g. yellowish, brownish. How much did it affect gameplay?
* game play: Again need I explain? ^_-
* any other kind of problem or 'feature' that needs attention
* recommendation

In my case I have experience with GameMate screen protectors:
* price: I bought it at Lik-Sang at the time, I don't remember the price.
* touch ability: It didn't affect the sensitivity and game play.
* application: It is a piece of 'loose' plastic, therefore application wasn't very smooth. Thus resulting in 'air bubbles' because of the dust that got caught on the protector.
* re-usable: Yes
* durability: Bad, after some time it got so scratched up, while only using licensed Nintendo styluses, it affected visibility.
* scratch proof: Not at all.
* visibility: Not likeable you clearly see there is a protector on the touch screen.
* discoloring: None
* game play: It didn't affect game play until the scratches become worse.
* other problems: None
* recommendation: I would say to stay clear of this product, unless they have improved this product.

Morigangu company (it is a licensed Nintendo product bought at the Yamato Denki store in Osaka) I couldn't find any 'brand' indication:

* price: 750 yen
* application: No problem whatsoever when applying. No air bubbles left after applying. The upper protector is made up of several layers (see through film, AR-layer, hard-coated layer, PET-layer (with anti-lustre properties, polymer resin, see through film); The touch protector is made up of (hard-coated layer, PET-layer (with anti-lustre properties), polymer resin, see through film.
* durability: Good, after some time it got 2 or 3 deep scratches, which didn't really affect visibility but during game play you can 'feel' it when going over it with the stylus.
* scratch proof: Not scratch proof but good enough under normal circumstances, however be careful when you've dropped your stylus.
* visibility: Extremely good you can't see it unless you look for it (the touch screen has a 1 mm gap).
* game play: It doesn't affect game play even with the few scratches it has (only visible under certain angles when the DS is on).
* recommendation: It is around the same price as Hori in Japanese stores, and likely just as good. A good investment to keep your screens impeccable.

Omoikane1979

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I see a lot of people have already viewed this post.

For those of you who have other screen protector brands, please help 'complete' this list by writing about your experience with the protector in the same way.

In short I am counting on your help, this post is meant as a joint effort.

Thank you very much. God bless you.

CannonBallZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Capadase (taku) indication:
* price: US$ 5.99 check playasia.com
* application: easy application, just drop it on and it just slides into place
* durability: Good, after some time it got 2 or 3 deep scratches, which didn't really affect visibility but during game play you can 'feel' it when going over it with the stylus.
* scratch proof: Not scratch proof but good enough under normal circumstances,
* visibility: I can't tell whether it is there or not
tongue.gif
no discernible gaps on touchscreen
* game play: It doesn't affect game play even with the few scratches it has (only visible under certain angles when the DS is on).
* recommendation: It is only $1-2 cheaper than hori,if you want a hori go for it, this is my 1st and only screen protector but i think it's pretty good, oh comes with cleaning sponge finger (which i don't use)

mat88

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
edit: oups skipped 1 line lol
wacko.gif

Nice idea. But I have a question?
why should I put protection on my touch screen? On my DS fat we didn't put protection on the touch screen, and when I play games I don't see scratch ..., I can see some scratch if I put the screen in the good angle

retiredjerk

Trophies
XP
Country
the damn DS closes and the both screens arent exposed until you start playing. Also the stylus doesnt scratch the screen at all. I'll never understand why people want to "protect" their DS screens. Now the PSP i can understand because it scratches easy as hell. Do you really care that much about your screen? i mean if you use it the way its intended i cant see scratches being any kind of problem at all.

But, if you are going to get a screen protector then buy HORI. They work and you cant go wrong.

Do we really need a post about screen protectors? And if so why do we need to submit a stupid report. How about a thread that asks what protector do you use and is it worh it. Much simpler than submitting a detailed report. That is why no one is replying to this post.

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
I use the BigBen interactive Protection Kit i brought from Gamestation Uk for a bargain £2.99 GBP. The Screen protectors have been relly good the touch screen works just the same as without it. I have had it on for about 6 months without much degradation of the screen protector from scratchs. I highly recommend it for anyone in the the uk.
Product Page
BB_244007_vp.jpg

Price: 10/10
Protection 10/10
Value 10/10 (lots of extras like 2 stylus, 3 game case, and screen cleaning cloth)
I have brought 2 of these as they are such a bargain i have more stylus then i need.
wink2.gif

CannonBallZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
retiredjerk,
it gets scratched some kind of nasty if you play oendan
frown.gif

it's a thread for for the anally retentive, if you are the type that do not care if your ds
has a lovely sheen of food stain on it then you wouldn't understand
wink2.gif

Omoikane1979

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
First of all thank you CannonbalZ and notnarb for sharing your experience. I was thinking of buying a Capdase because I read it doesn't have 1 mm gap on the touchscreen which the Hori has. Not sure if it is true though. ^_-

To retiredjerk:
I understand a detailed report can be a pain to write, but most replies on forums on screen protectors or shops tend to be very short if not leaving some questions such as re-usability, scratch-proof (or lifespan in a way), sensitivity. My wish is to be able to see in one quick look if the desired screen protector has the desired properties. Without having to scroll through several pages hoping the answer to their question might be found on one of them.

As for why I bought a screen protector: almost everybody in my family plays with my DS and DS lite. My gaming friends also like to try out the handheld and some of the games. Suffice to say I can compare my touchscreen's situation with those DS lites in the stores which are almost always scratched in some way. Therefore I don't think it is a waste of money.

In short people will be able to find the information they need on deciding which is best suited for their needs.

Saylient_Dreams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pelican for DS Lite
* price: $4.99 - $7.99 ($7.99 has a pair of styluses included)
* touch ability: No affect on touch ability
* application: Very straight forward, I bought Hori's, I like how they put so many protective measures by using multiple films, but that was confusing.
* re-usable: If you applied it wrong the first time, you can replace it on the screen, not sure if you can after you've been using it for a while (like days or weeks or months)
* durability: Been using it since launch. It does have a couple scratches on it though, still very "see-able," don't really notice the scratches. Probably happened from dirt, having trouble keeping dust off the screen.
* scratch proof/resistant: I think it's very sratch proof to the stylus as long as you don't get a lot of dirt on the screen.
* visibility: It's glossy, visibility is fine.
* discoloring (if any): No discoloring after a year and a half of play.
* game play: As good as the DS Lite screen because it's glossy.
* Notes: The protectors fills up the entire screen, so you don't have gaps between the border and the protector itself. This causes it not to fit in original DSes however (when I apply them to original DSes, I usually just open the DS up and stick it in). I think it's cheap and afforadable, and can be easily found almost anywhere, I get mine from Circuit City. If you really need to replace it at least you can find a replacement pretty easily (Not sure if you can find them as easily in Europe though). Also this uses a light adhesive, doesn't leave residue when you pull it off. I think I replaced it once for someone because they applied it very badly and had a load of dirt under it.
* recommendation: I recommend them to all my friends, and they all use em, have been using em since they got their DS Lites.
*Another note: If you get the original DS protectors by pelican, they have a Gap on the screen, and is also matte, but that thing lasted forever, and was friggin scratch resistant.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
I have Hori protectors from day one of my DS Lite, but a week later (I am very careful of my DS) the bottom screen suddenly became heavily scratched. I guess it was because the screen had some grit on it, and combined with my agressive playing of Zelda PH...
hate2.gif

Omoikane1979

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Several points of advice (compiled from posts here and there):
1 - Be careful not to get the screen protector inbetween the touch screen and the DS case. This will result in a 'permanent
touch' which in turn will render the touch screen useless until you properly re-apply the protector. This is one of the most
common problems for those who apply the screen protector for the first time.
2 - Get rid of most the dust particles by applying it in the bath room after the steam has 'gone' and take your time. Make
sure you put your things on a clean surface.
3 - Clean the touch screen. Check for cleanliness. Then apply the protector.
4 - Should you notice dust and hair underneath the screen protector take it off gently and remove it with tape. Re-clean the
touch screen surface with a microfiber, lint free camera or sunglasses cloth, and reapply without your fingers touching underneath it.

I have read several reviews and posts about the Cleartouch Crystal and Anti-Glare as well as the Brando ultra clear screen
protectors, and JavoEdge Clear and Anti-Glare screen protector. You can find their compiled properties below.
If the JavoEdge and Boxwave Screen Protectors are really scratch-proof they are worth their money, otherwise I feel they are just elite priced items. However as I don't own any of the following screen protectors I can't tell.

Cleartouch Crystal and Anti-Glare from Boxwave
* Price: $12.95, 3-pack bundle is available for $27.95
* touch ability: Smooth writing surface and glossy finish bringing out color and enhances brightness (for the crystal),
smooth paper-like writing surface due to the "micro-scratches" without degrading the screen transparancy but effectively
minimizes glare (for the anti-glare)
* application: same type of silicon adhesive as most common screen protectors like Hori and such.
* re-usable: re-usable after (mis)applying it
* durability: some had light scratches after 3 weeks, others had no problems after using it several months
* scratch proof/resistant: one review claimed it is scratch proof, however there are replies saying they aren't, so I guess the answer is in the middle meaning normal use results in no to minor scratches
* visibility: no diminished screen quality, anti-fingerprint [side note: easier to see dirt and smudges if they are there
(crystal), harder to see dirt and more or less fingerprint resistant due to the difference in surface (anti-glare)]
* discoloring (if any): none
* game play: no real problems
* features: Washable (you can get dust other particles out by cleaning it with water)
99% visual transparancy
Reduces 99% of the UV-rays of reflected light
comes with ClearTouch Applicator and cloth
'enhances' responsiveness by 10-15%
* Cons: There is a 1 mm perimeter of exposed screen on the top and one side
* Note: The ClearTouch Anti-Glare costs the same as the Crystal.
* recommendation: I find these very expensive, but they might be worth for those willing to pay for it.

Brando ultra clear screen protector
* price: US$ 12.00 or 15.00 euros
* touch ability: smooth in feel
* application: none
* re-usable: removable and re-usable due to the silicon adhesive
* durability: unable to say most reviews didn't include this
* scratch proof/resistant: overall different kind of replies, so I guess the answer is in the middle meaning normal use might

result in no to minor scratches
* visibility: glass-like transparency
* discoloring none
* game play: no change in sensitivity or game play
* features: washable
* cons: it doesn't seem to be working well under sunny circumstances, there are people who manage to get it scratched while
applying it.
* recommendation: I find these very expensive, and even though I've compiled these properties from different reviews. I would say stay clear from it.

Javoedge Anti Glare DS screen protector
* Price: US$ 12.95 @ JavoEdge site; US$7.95 @ Amazon.com
* touch ability: Did it affect the sensitivity of the touch screen? If so, how bad was it?
* application: same as other silicon based adhesive screen protectors
* re-usable: removable and re-usable if missapplied
* durability: unable to say most reviews didn't include this
* scratch proof/resistant: highly scratch and smudge resistant (anti-glare), scratch resistant (clear)
* visibility: not 100% see-through (anti-glare), 100% clear (clear)
* discoloring (if any): None
* game play: unable to say most reviews didn't include this
* recommendation: Again, I find it expensive but worth to try if you are willing to.

Omoikane1979

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have checked for reviews on the Pelican screen protectors and found their first attempt, in the year 2005, on making screen protectors failed miserably due to the adhesive used to keep the protectors on the top and possibly the touch screen as well. It seems their current protectors don't use that adhesive anymore just like Saylient_Dreams says, their customer service seems to be reasonable.

For those afraid of silicon adhesives or any adhesives for that matter might want to try out the NUshield touch screen protector. You get 3 touch screen protectors for US$ 11.99

Link to the review I've read:
http://www.got-next.com/features_read.php?id=236

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd recommend Capdase ones. They cover the entire screen and are pretty much along the lines of Hori's quality.

I've heard good stuff about Martin Fields screen protectors though. Don't use bestskinsever's ones
smile.gif

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm using the DS Lite screen protectors from Exim...it's easy to apply and you won't notice it on the screen at all...you also don't have the risk to mess up your screen, like many did with the Hori screen protectors...
just like the Brando screen protectors (which are said to be equally good), there is an Ultra Clear and an Ultra Protect version...I'd really recommend you getting the Ultra Protect version, because it gives the touchscreen a nice silky feel to it and it's more resistant against scratches than the Ultra Clear version

I paid 10€ for mine..I don't know where to purchase them outside of germany, though

* price: ~10€
* touch ability: gives the touch-screen a silky feel to it (which is good IMO)...slightly more pressure is needed, but it doesn't affect the gameplay at all
* application: very easy to apply...got it right on the first try without any bubbles (there is some dust under it, though, which is totally my fault and could happen with any other screen protector as well)
* re-usable: washable and re-usable, according to the manufacturer
* durability: no scratches yet...only had it for 2 weeks now, though
* scratch proof/resistant: can't tell..
* visibility: once the DS Lite is turned on, it turns pretty much invisible
* discoloring (if any): no discoloration
* game play: extra smooth stylus controls
yaynds.gif

* recommendation: yes

1man1dream

Trophies
XP
Country
Hori ones, they are reputable in making ipod screen protectors so I'm guessing they are good (have one on my ds at the moment)

IAmTheRad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Only Horis are licensed by Nintendo. Put them on PROPERLY. There's ways to screw this up, but if they're put on properly they should last you a while.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Only Horis are licensed by Nintendo. Put them on PROPERLY. There's ways to screw this up, but if they're put on properly they should last you a while.

Pelican is too isn't it? Most of the Pelican DS stuff I've seen is Nintendo licensed. In any case, I've read bad things about Pelican protectors

OR i might be thinking about another company

what's wrong with bestskinsever ones?

Bestskinever screen protectors are applied the same way as the full body skin (a great skin by the way), which involves a soapy water mixture. It's dangerous if not done properly, and they cannot be reused. There have also been reports of great sensitivity loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs