DS Lite Replacement Shell

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Saylient_Dreams, Aug 16, 2007.

Aug 16, 2007
  1. Saylient_Dreams
    OP

Member Saylient_Dreams GBAtemp Fan

United States
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7276
    http://www.psxboy.com/756_DS-Lite-Replacem...-Kit-*pink.html
    Looks like there are new DS Lite replacement shells out now, so far deal extreme only has them in black from what I can tell. The box looks like its the same company that makes the old DS Phat Replacement shells as well, which are pretty good quality (I've used those myself). If anyone gets one of these please let us know how they are compared to the SHOCK shells, I'd get one, but I don't have the funds atm. [​IMG]
    EDIT: Looks like there's pink too.

2. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    Beat ya to it! [link] [​IMG]

I've not used the shock shells but I've heard mixed things on them, I've heard good reports but I vaguely remember someone mentioning they got a cracked hinge after some use, don't quote me on that though. The thing that put me off ordering the shock cases are the price and the fact that they use clear plastic buttons.

These cases DX are offering look to be the same as what a couple of people from Hong Kong have been selling on ebay for some time, although they wanted over £20/$40'ish for them, so it's cool to see DX offering them so cheaply.

They do look well made, so I will be ordering a black case for myself. Might also grab a few black replacement styli to match. [​IMG]

3. Saylient_Dreams
    OP

United States
    Hahaha, you did! Sorry haven't been on here past couple days really. I saw dx had em and got excited, lol. I got the SHOCK case it was horrible.. I got it to replace the original shell of my DS Lite, which had a hing crack on the left, and the SHOCK case cracked... on the right.... >.>, totally defeats the purpose. Another thing that bugged me was the angle of the screen. When my DS Lite was open it seemed like it wasn't "as open" as previously on the original. And one more thing, if you held up the shock cases to the light, you could totally see through it... and when it was fully assembled held to the light... you can see silhouettes of your DS's innard >.> I hope I can get some soon, not sure if I want to just replace me shell, or mix and match with black now, then again I might just wait till DX has dark blue and mix and match with that since all my buddies have black already. I hope the prices drop further to almost the same as the DS Phat shells, lol, I'd grab a buncha these then.

4. kingeightsix

Member kingeightsix GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Darkforce - hey, could you pm me to let me know if the case is close to the original thing when it arrives? i'm looking to replace my shell, too because i bought a used ds & it looks all worn down.

5. marth989

Member marth989 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

mine broke a few days ago, i'd had the crack for ages but then the other day it just went,

these cases look way better than shock and are alot cheaper to with free postage worldwide,

ill be ordering mine tomo with a pack of 4 retractable stylus and a triwing, the prices are unbelievable

replacement case= $26.90/£13

triwing= 95c/47p

4 pack retractable stylus= $3.50/£1.73

in total $31.36/£15.57 which is about $10/£5 cheaper than a shock without the postage which comes free from deal extreme
    even if this case brakes it is still worth the chance. [​IMG]

6. Takrin

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    nice, my on/off switch broke so i jerried my ds but later found i can purchase ds on/off switch i've been looking for a new case but shock was a total ripp off, this seems like a way better solution thanks, ordering one now.

[​IMG] if i lay it down on a flat surface too hard the ds turns on or shuts off hehe was a design flaw...

7. Saylient_Dreams
    OP

United States
    I'm trying to wait a bit more to see if they carry Dark Blue since everyone I know has black DSes. Also seems like these replacement cases are not only cheaper, but actually replace everything, including the little adhesive pad things.

8. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    Well the Shock! Chrome case looks just AWESOME.
    Im thinking about getting one for my Wii [​IMG]

9. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    The DS one is of horrible quality, as are all SHOCK cases.

10. Saylient_Dreams
    OP

United States
    These cases look like they come with everything but the rubber button pads. Anyone know if those are included? I just got my gf a pink DS Lite, and that thing is built way better than the DS Lite I got at launch. The buttons are much "sturdier" and almost as good as the original DS's clicky style, I have no problems with the diaganols on it compared to my launch DS Lite.

11. Friction Baby

Member Friction Baby GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I ordered 2 of the new cases from Deal extreme they should be in in a week or two. I am doing a project where I am going to migrate two DS lites into these new cases and then I am going to apply gold Pokemon decal stickers to the cases so they should look identical to the prize giveaway pokemon DS lites Nintendo was promoting a while ago. I am going to make a post of my adventure So keep an eye out:)

12. Saylient_Dreams
    OP

United States
    That sounds really awesome, can't wait to see how that turns out. I've ripped open my DS Lite so many times already. I hope the ribbon cable will last. Also when you're removing the antenna cable is there any safe method than just slowly pulling out from under the NDS Cart slot? I always feel like I'm scraping up the DS's mobo when I yank that thing out.

13. thieves like us

Member thieves like us chaos personified

United States
    the shock cases are not bad given that they were the first, however they were pricey and suffered the same hinge problem that nintendo had with the original ds lites. I've gone through 3 of their cases now due to the hinge breaking in exactly the same spot every time. additionally, they should have included *all* of the parts to make it a replacement case (especially considering the way that they were advertising it as a *complete* replacement kit.

I would like a transparent lime green case so that I can swap out just the inner halves of the shell.

14. Friction Baby

Member Friction Baby GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Yeah pulling out the antenna cable suck's especially if you get it stuck under the slot. I usually take my time slow and steady wins the race:)

15. mekaone

Newcomer mekaone Advanced Member

United States
    I don't know about everyone else but I have had my DS Lite SHOCK case for around a year and a half and no problem. About the same amount of time for three of my other friends too and they just love theres. I do agree with others about the coast and it would have been nice to see all the rubber feet and replacement screws too. Also it would be nice to add that damn nut that holds the battery cover on!
    For that price I hope this new case is as good or better than the SHOCK case and has the equipment and I hope it comes out in the clear color. All the hardware would be nice too. Please let up know how the new cases are.
    One week back I ordered the SHOCKii for the Wii in clear. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with it?
    I wanted to make my DS Lite, Wii, Wii-mote and nunchuck all clear. I thought it would look cool :-)

16. thieves like us

Member thieves like us chaos personified

United States
    evidently, the cases that extremedeal are selling are in fact oem cases. according to a friend of mine, what's been happening is that people have been smuggling out small quantities at a time [aka stealing them from nintendo] and then packaging them up in a cardboard box and selling them.

so, for all of those wanting one, you might want to order one soon before NCL, NOA and NOE catches wind of this and calls in the feds.

17. Saylient_Dreams
    OP

United States
    Are the cases for the original DS also OEM? Those have been in the market for a loooong time. Hopefully these will too. But I think I'll get one just in case, thanks for the info.

18. tyasawa

Member tyasawa GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    XD yay! finally i can change my ds lite shell.. the right hinge completely separated from the whole ds now.. (have to use a clear case to hold my ds)..

'', its a nice surprise if its OEM... but even if its not.. it still looks better than shock!..

oh man.. dealextreme ripped me off slowly with their cheap products XD

19. marth989

Member marth989 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    mines been packaged now all i have to do is wait for it in the post [​IMG]

20. tyasawa

Member tyasawa GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    O,o anyone received it yet?

when the door bell rang today.. i was so exited.. only to find that its not from dealextreme.. ;_;.. its the hori clear case that i bought from renchi. the tracking said both dealextreme and renchi was sent from hk on 9th.. hope it will arrive tmr tho..