Gaming DS Lite Replacement / Extended-life Batteries: looking for a good one.

exangel

executioner angel
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I have a DS Lite whose genuine battery only holds ~2h30m charge. I used Snailface's DS Battery Life Timer to test it.

I remember when I got my first DS Lite brand new, the battery lasting upwards of 8hr. So this was unsatisfactory.
I ordered a replacement battery from PA. It looked maybe a little better than any, claiming 2000mAh and including a stylus and screwdriver for installation.
I followed the instructions.. but...
I ran the test twice, and it doesn't hold more than 1h30m.

After having just paid an arm and a leg for an official Nintendo replacement battery (was over $20 after standard shipping and tax), I decided to ask if anyone has actually had, an honest to goodness, extended life battery that works for DS Lite.

I know this console is past its' heyday, but it's still the most comfortable one for me and I use mine more than anything else I own for most DS games.

Cartmanuk

Trophies
XP
Country
Well all Chinese batteries over state there actual capacity.

There is nowhere I know of that that sells an original DS battery or one higher than 800mAh

exangel

executioner angel
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo of America sells the DS Lite 1000 mAh battery for $15, $5 shipping, plus sales tax for most states.
:-/

edit: linked it, not sure it'll work internationally -- they only do orders to the US & Canada though

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When it comes to batteries, you get what you pay for. Paying for a cheap chinese one will get you a cheap battery, no matter what the amp hours say. You best bet is buy OEM or get an official extended one.

exangel

executioner angel
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I got my OEM battery from Nintendo of America and ran two tests after installing it.
Full brightness, default test: 4h35m
Minimum brightness, default test: 11h50m

As good as new IMO. See post #1 for the link to the homebrew I used to test it.

-- I can't be sure without swapping the old batteries back in and rerunning the app, but I believe I ran my previous battery tests on full brightness since I wasn't really intending to gather data.. my original intent was to test optimum performance one time.

exangel

executioner angel
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in case anyone searches this subject I've come up with some more info regarding the OEM battery. this info can probably be found if looking up battery life comparing different carts, but this is my own experience comparing a brand new OEM battery (I ordered a second one a month ago because I got a different DS Lite -- gave my prior one to a friend's girlfriend's kid.

If you're going to use homebrew to test battery life on flashcarts, the flashcart you use can make a pretty major difference in your results. I was testing my new OEM battery using a Supercard DStwo which, due to its on-board processor, naturally draws more power regardless of what it's playing. Using Snailface's homebrew, I got really horrible results compared to what I expected, enough to make me concerned there was a defect in the way my system was charging my battery.

DStwo battery life tests, which I ran multiple times to verify:
Max brightness: would not meet 4 hours playback
Minimum brightness: would not meet either 7 or possibly 8 hours playback ( think it was actually around 6h40m both times, but I can't check my DStwo's log right now)

However, I decided to run the battery life tests on my DSTT (after having lost my set-up original but clone R4.. I'll set up my back up but running these tests obviously take time.) On minimum brightness my test has passed 14 hours 30 minutes without the battery warning light turning red. I also actually had the speakers on slightly (though I didn't disable sound when I was testing using DStwo.)

I will start a new thread if I go the whole nine and make a chart (using several popular carts from my collection, which is in my user profile)

edit: 15h40m using DSTT

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: