Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I wake up one day and feel like DS'ing.
I turn it on, play for a bit and...it turns off...then back on...then off...then on...
Even if I leave it on the table without touching it it turns off and on randomly now...
It's plugged in to the charger so it isn't the battery.

Any ideas what the heck is up with it? >.>;;

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
My friend had a problem like this with his DS Phat.
Don't know what was wrong with it, still don't.

Have you taken it apart before? Dropped it?

If not, I guess you'd have to crack it open and take a look to see if something is fucked up or send it to Nintendo (if the warranty is still good).

Zarcon

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've taken it apart before...like, 6 months ago. Mighty slow agent if that was the cause.
Between then and now I've done nothing to it except play on it so no dropping either.
Warranty is long over.
I took a look at the motherboard today and nothing seems amiss...could be something I'm overlooking though...

dragon574444

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Are the contacts that the battery connects to on the DS bent or corroded? That could be it. Even if you had it on a charger, if the battery looses contact with the DS, it'll shut off.

Zarcon

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dragon574444 said:
Are the contacts that the battery connects to on the DS bent or corroded? That could be it. Even if you had it on a charger, if the battery looses contact with the DS, it'll shut off.
Doesn't look like it...but you might be on to something. The battery doesn't pop into place. I can still press down on it after putting it in.
Seems pretty stable when I hold the battery in place with my hand...I'll try taping it down or something and see how it goes.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Zarcon said:
dragon574444 said:
Doesn't look like it...but you might be on to something. The battery doesn't pop into place. I can still press down on it after putting it in.
Seems pretty stable when I hold the battery in place with my hand...I'll try taping it down or something and see how it goes.

Surely that would explain the spontaeneous turning off, but not ON?

Zarcon

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
arctic_flame said:
Zarcon said:
dragon574444 said:

Surely that would explain the spontaeneous turning off, but not ON?
Weirder things have happened...but you have a point, it's just a lot of hassle taking the thing apart so I'd rather try any suggestions that don't require I take the thing apart first.
And it's back on as I type this, le sigh.

Zarcon

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's just weird in general, it's not like it's a consistent timing on when it turns on and off...it'll flash on and off rapidly at times while at other times it'll stay on for a while then turn off for a while.
It was working fine the other day too...>.>;;

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm pretty sure it's possessed. Try to get a local priest to see if he can exorcise the DS.

On topic, I'm pretty sure something is wrong with the power switch, because if the battery is loose then that still wouldn't explain it turning ON again.

Zarcon

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If it's the power switch...it's still weird, the timing on when it turns on and off is completely random when left by itself on a table.
I'll check it out since the battery lead was a dead end.
I'd rather not have to buy a new DS, but it looks like I might have to head that way. >.>;;

dragon574444

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's sounding like a faulty power switch. It may be shorting at random times... Bad spring... uhh...
Have you dropped it anytime in the recent past?

Zarcon

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nope, haven't dropped it recently.
I've only dropped it once ever and that was around the time I first bought it...pretty much when the DSL first came out.

dragon574444

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'm not too sure what could be wrong. Power switches don't tend to die at random times without physical damage or an electrical overload. Was your DS plugged in during a thunder storm? lol, Just kidding.

Now if it was in front of me I could do some troubleshooting and diagnose it for you, but that ain't gonna happen.

Zarcon

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd like to think I'm not COMPLETELY incompetent with electronics, haha.
Time to dig out that multimeter...
Finally got my shoulder buttons working properly again too, le sigh.

Zarcon

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I decided to let a friend look at it just in case he saw something in a different light after I opened it up again.

From what I could tell...he just put it back together and said it was fixed.

It seems to be fixed.

Maybe it was possessed...and he exorcised it...>.>;;

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/