DS Lite powers on but won't charge - diagnosis?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by ModDad, Sep 5, 2011.

Sep 5, 2011
  1. ModDad
    OP

Newcomer ModDad Newbie

United States
    Recently swapped cases on DS lite. I charged the battery in its old case before swapping them over.
    Now they're swapped the battery refuses to charge. There is no light when I plug it in.
    However, if I plug it in I can still turn it on and play it (LED is Red).

Much searching suggests it is F1 or F2 fuses. However, given that it can be turned on, does that mean it's not either of the fuses? (ie are they in serial from the power in?)

Any thoughts.

2. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    Did you happen to have some slight trouble putting the bottom of the housing together? ...maybe even hear a sort of distinct snapping noise? ...Your situation sounds sort of like what I accidentally did to a friend's DS (...well, maybe not friend so much...but anyways).

Pop open your DS and see if you accidentally broke the piece shown below. It's the piece right below the charging plug (it has a red dot on the side). If it IS broken, have fun trying to fix that...because that piece is forever useless (though you might be able to sort of get it to work by holding it together...but I didn't do all that well when I tried it).
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

3. ModDad
    OP

Newcomer ModDad Newbie

United States
    I will check.
    I did have a bit of trouble with the case, but tried my best not to force it.
    Hmmm... mine does look like it has a crack in it. Seems to be labeled EM10
    :-(

4. caaraa

Banned caaraa Banned

United States
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]

5. ModDad
    OP

Newcomer ModDad Newbie

United States
    PS: well done on the diagnosis. V. impressive.
    Now I have to order a part and wait...
    Apparently, it's a filter (?? to make sure input power is clean?). They only cost a couple of dollars if you want to resurrect your old one!

Other people have just bridged the connections with wires. Mebi i could do that until the part arrives...

6. ModDad
    OP

Newcomer ModDad Newbie

United States
    For anyone else who comes onto this thread:
    the part is called a ds "em10".
    I googled and found it on WiiSing ordered the part from wiising. Weeks passed, then months. It never came: -1 wiising.
    I dug up the DS again and made a more determined effort to find out what was wrong.
    I found someone on a forum identify it - its real name is a 600 MegaOhm Common Choke (- It cost me about $2 for one) . I understand its purpose is to protect the circuitry from variations in the input power supply. Some people just remove it and short the terminals.

Knowing its made made it much easier to find local suppliers. I ordered one from RS Components and 24 hours later (ie now) have installed it. It is charging as I type this. Really pleased with RS's service.

De soldering the old choke off was hard. I ended up just ripping it off with some tweezers. Installing the new one was pretty easy.

7. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    Congratz on fixing your DS. You definitely spent enough effort for it xD. Maybe the next time I get my friend's DS, I'll bridge the connection....or not :3.

8. mooglazer

Newcomer mooglazer Advanced Member

United States
    Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction!

Found this ifixit article and decided to go with the straight bridge approach. It's charging again!

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repairing-Nintendo-DS-Not-Charging-Repair-Guide/6884/1

Seriously, thanks!

[​IMG]