DS Lite falls apart in hands

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Darkspark, Dec 30, 2006.

Dec 30, 2006

DS Lite falls apart in hands by Darkspark at 5:57 PM (1,608 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. Darkspark
    OP

Member Darkspark GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Nintendo really takes the piss.
    There products must be made in the cheapest sweatshops on earth to have build quality this bad.
    As the title mentions, my friend, who has had his White DS Lite for about a year has had the left hand side "crack" all its life, but even worse, now the right hand side of it has simple broken off.

No he did not drop it, mishandle it or all the other things you will accuse, he was simple playing it, and it fell apart. He keeps it in one of those airform cases, and has no reason at all to purposely break his (favourite thing in the whole wide world) Ds Lite. Not least, because if he gets a new one, Im not going to flash it again for free [​IMG]

Anyway, here are some pics he sent me along with a short video.
    He has had it for just over a year, and is worried that Nintendo will not replace it. Will They?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7zUutFlsWE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    They should replace it, since its not been out a year.
    Some countries have shorter warranty periods though and it might not be covered.

3. H8TR

Member H8TR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    They wont replace it if it has been flashed.

4. jakemittle

Newcomer jakemittle Newbie

United Kingdom
    legendofphil my ds is kinda muffed up..not as bad as that one. But i can see it getting to that :S im wondering..if i gave it back..how long would they take to repair/replace it?...USA say 5-7 bussiness days *but thats america*

How would they know if its been flashed?

5. GameGeezer

Member GameGeezer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If it is within it's warranty period they should take care of it if you tell them that it occured during normal use. However, the guy at nintendo said they normally don't cover something like this since the normal hinge problems are on the left hinge. Right hinge problems are assumed to be problems from misuse or a drop which are not covered by the warranty.

I had the same thing happen within the year warranty period and they fixed it.

How has this person had a DS Lite for a little over a year?

6. Elrinth

Member Elrinth :Master beyond your imagination:

Sweden
    "This video is a duplicate of a previously uploaded video." according to youtube [​IMG]

7. Darkspark
    OP

United Kingdom
    Its taking forever to process too. I uploaded the first video over an hour ago, and it still says "you must wait a few minutes to process"

Anyway, a friend within his warranty period actually broke his nintendo in half. He actually had the gall to tell Nintendo he dropped it (he really did), and they have agreed to replace it. Probably because it could be related to a hinge problem.

I;ve returned a flashed ds before to Nintendo for repair (Phat DS with dead pixels), and had no problems. [​IMG]

Oops, sorry he hasn't had it for a year, but it feels like it. But I'll be sure to let him know Nintendo "might" replace it. [​IMG]

8. jakemittle

United Kingdom
    Would you recommend him to call nintendo then?

9. GameGeezer

Member GameGeezer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I would definitely call first. Their customer service reps are good and you will probably end up having to call anyway if you use their web interface.

10. Darkspark
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yup, I've advised him to call/email them, which he has done a few times but seems either Nintendo aren't open during the Holiday period or don't answer their phones very often as he hasn't been able to get through.

11. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    Maybe he didn't drop it but somebody did. Even in an airfoam case a hit on a hard floor can crack the plastic like that. I'll put little brother or sister at the head of the suspects list. Start the questioning - Phoenix Wright style!

12. jakemittle

United Kingdom
    True...anything can break like that! [​IMG] !...but hey..i've just been on another site..and theres a dude who has the same probelm [​IMG] ..funnily enough, it seems that the cracks look the same?..same "point of entry"...so maybe this is more than just a DIY work!!...here we go Phoenix Wright!!! [​IMG]

13. Firon

Member Firon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Bullshit. They replaced mine.

14. lickmy

Newcomer lickmy Member

Afghanistan
    Some friend you are if you're going to charge him to flash his DS. [​IMG]

15. RaaTheGodEater

Newcomer RaaTheGodEater Member

United States
    You can just place a repair order on the website. They send you a pre-paid sticker and you mail it back to them and get your DS in about a week.

The exact same thing happened to my DS Lite

16. nintendofreak

Member nintendofreak Around. Shoot me a PM.

United States
    Even if SOME of their products are crappy, they're still willing to stand behind them and replace them for freeeee [​IMG]