Hacking DS lite, DSi, and flashcart

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Ok. I am at moment not really into DSi - I do not have one yet, but may be getting one in future. Meantime I am using my half-ass busted DS lite... What does work for what merit, though, it seems that the touch screen is promised to fail by either action by me, or action by the big skyman itself.

Now, today searching around, I bumped to few DSi compatible flashcart videos (most promising of what I have heard being Acekard) - Now, I am a cycloDS user myself, And I WUV my cyclo, but I am happy with alternatives... IF they are good.

Now, What i have seen is the quite expected scene of DSI being updated via wifi, and blocking flashcarts, where flashcarts get updates that fix them. I know how to be wise; to not update DSi before The flashcart.

But, I probably will not get rid of my DS lite, First off, I by all logic could not get rid of the thing even if I paid someone to have it. As said, even though it now does work (kinda?) it is not pretty looking, the touch screen could be counted as "weird" - there is no frame on lower screen (making you able to touch over the area what registers touch) - and all kinds of "funny" stuff around it.

So, inquiring: If I were to get a DSi, what would be GBA temp's best pick for "weapon of choice" (or just flashcart) - and also, could I update that with my DS lite to be compatible with DSi again, if all else would fail (I.E. Update makes sheet hit the fan, I cannot update it with DSi, could I update it with DSlite to work with DSi again?)

Cheers to all GBAtemp, happy to get any answers!

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I suggest the M3i Zero because it is the most feature-full, good firmware and very good team support
wink.gif

It also updates to fix the nintendo firmware blocks using a USB cable instead of another DS like most Dsi flashcarts.
Trust me you wont be disappointed I have an M3i Zero and Acekard 2i and always use the M3i.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Rockstar said:
I suggest the M3i Zero because it is the most feature-full, good firmware and very good team support
wink.gif

It also updates to fix the nintendo firmware blocks using a USB cable instead of another DS like most Dsi flashcarts.
Trust me you wont be disappointed I have an M3i Zero and Acekard 2i and always use the M3i.

Yeah... I have not been unhappy with M3real... for what I used it, but with DS lite cyclo kinda does support games better, but With DSi I could use that.

I may see if I get enough money and need to choose between DSi or new computer parts - it's gonna be hard choice.

Thanks for your input!

Salax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would recommend an M3i Zero as well myself. I own a few carts (iPlayer, iEDGE, Acekard2i, M3i) and the M3i is the one I would really recommend. If you really like the CycloDS menu, you might want to consider an iEDGE, since it is pretty much a clone but it works considerably well. I've has some contact issues with it, but nothing major.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Salax said:
I would recommend an M3i Zero as well myself. I own a few carts (iPlayer, iEDGE, Acekard2i, M3i) and the M3i is the one I would really recommend. If you really like the CycloDS menu, you might want to consider an iEDGE, since it is pretty much a clone but it works considerably well. I've has some contact issues with it, but nothing major.

The cycloDS menu is one thing I HATE in cycloDS - heh. I like my cyclo for game compability but the menu really is slew of misstouched gamestarts and really bulky experience - where my M3 with sakura was really sleek experience by time (but well, of course in end the essential - game compability etc - making cyclo winner for me in end)

Is the M3 zero game compability/support on same level as M3real or better. I can live with same level - it would mean more hazzle and shizzle but I just want to know what I am dipping my knees in.

Salax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The M3i and the M3 Real use the exact same firmware--the M3i just has an updatable bootstrap. So to answer your question, the game compatibility is the same.

Are you using Sakura or Touchpod?

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Salax said:
The M3i and the M3 Real use the exact same firmware--the M3i just has an updatable bootstrap. So to answer your question, the game compatibility is the same.

Are you using Sakura or Touchpod?

I USED sakura when I did have the M3... as said it has been for 8 months in hands of my friend, who is not as tech savvy as I am. and it has been proven as I first handheld him through IM conversation to update the sakura to newest version, what also is a official release for non-japanese cards, since the version it had before happened to still be one of those GBAtemp hacked versions... aah, the classics.

Other thing was playing around today - Phantasy star zero does not seem to be easy peasy to bite down with M3...

Weird, I thought people said acekard is almost on par with CycloDS and stuff, what happened to all that - and now M3 is superior? I was away QUITE a time I must say.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I still find CycloDS superior to be honest...and this isn't fanboy talk.

P.S.: At least Team Cyclops didn't rip off Moonlight...
rolleyes.gif

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
ProtoKun7 said:

rolleyes.gif

But team cyclops did not make a DSi card... at least yet
and one does not seem to be near horizon even.

I would be happy if we would live in world with awesome upgrade as DSi, and awesome cart like cycloDS just working on it, but that is not the case and those who lived to survive and adapt hold the market for new console.

Well, to say the truth I will be getting DSi Maybe, and only if the DSlite decides to take a hike again and break down - and if that does not happen any time soon, I will not be getting DSi any time soon...

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
JereTHEend said:
ProtoKun7 said:

rolleyes.gif

But team cyclops did not make a DSi card... at least yet
and one does not seem to be near horizon even.

I would be happy if we would live in world with awesome upgrade as DSi, and awesome cart like cycloDS just working on it, but that is not the case and those who lived to survive and adapt hold the market for new console.

Well, to say the truth I will be getting DSi Maybe, and only if the DSlite decides to take a hike again and break down - and if that does not happen any time soon, I will not be getting DSi any time soon...
No, I wish they did, or if they do make EDGE (which would mean it isn't a clone after all) then maybe if they made a Cyclo-like version with the same features I'd get it, especially as my Lite isn't doing so well.

I'd like it even if they released details on how they got a Cyclo running on the DSi in 2008...
rolleyes.gif

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
By the way - what is wifi compability with flashcart and DSi - anyone have tested and can tell about that?

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
JereTHEend said:
By the way - what is wifi compability with flashcart and DSi - anyone have tested and can tell about that?
Can't test it myself, but I hear homebrew with simple setup works; I doubt homebrew and Advanced Setup would work (being DSi specific), and I don't know about commercial game compatibility, but my guess would be that it works too (in DS mode anyway).

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
ProtoKun7 said:
JereTHEend said:
Can't test it myself, but I hear homebrew with simple setup works; I doubt homebrew and Advanced Setup would work (being DSi specific), and I don't know about commercial game compatibility, but my guess would be that it works too (in DS mode anyway).

Yeah... Hoping kinda more definitive answers but thanks for trying

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
JereTHEend said:
ProtoKun7 said:
JereTHEend said:

Yeah... Hoping kinda more definitive answers but thanks for trying
Sorry, just telling you what I know
laugh.gif
someone else will be here to answer in no time, I'm sure
wink.gif

Gariscus

Former Team Cyclops Mod
Trophies
XP
Country
From what I've read WiFi works fine with the DSi and flashcarts. I think it would be advisable though to change your modem/router encryption to WEP Shared.

gameguy95

Needs More Furries!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Salax said:
wish my m3i had not been a failing piece of crud. i used it for a couple months, then it stopped working and even the support team could not help
frown.gif

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Acekard 2i. NOT A FANBOY HERE SO DON"T START FLAMING ME!!!!!

This cart has 100% compatibility I never have problems with it always works and all that. A new game comes out AKAIO will fix it that same day or maybe the next day. Anyways the menu is really good with auto trimming, copy paste, and more.

I have a M3i Zero and personally hate it, when I use it games sometimes freeze for me because M3 Team can't proparly fix games so I have to use my acekard to beet the level in a game where my M3 freezes at. Plus the RTS IS NOT STABLE at all. I got this cart for one reason too RTS, I wanted to beat Mario and Luigi Bowsers Inside story but I kinda needed RTS which my Acekard didn't have. Guess what the RTS does not work for Mario and Luigi Bowsers Inside story. Lots of games don't work with RTS and cheats...

Get the Acekard I have both and that is from my experience.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
jakob95 said:
Acekard 2i. NOT A FANBOY HERE SO DON"T START FLAMING ME!!!!!

This cart has 100% compatibility I never have problems with it always works and all that. A new game comes out AKAIO will fix it that same day or maybe the next day. Anyways the menu is really good with auto trimming, copy paste, and more.

I have a M3i Zero and personally hate it, when I use it games sometimes freeze for me because M3 Team can't proparly fix games so I have to use my acekard to beet the level in a game where my M3 freezes at. Plus the RTS IS NOT STABLE at all. I got this cart for one reason too RTS, I wanted to beat Mario and Luigi Bowsers Inside story but I kinda needed RTS which my Acekard didn't have. Guess what the RTS does not work for Mario and Luigi Bowsers Inside story. Lots of games don't work with RTS and cheats...

Get the Acekard I have both and that is from my experience.

Yeah, it is bit weird that you are first to say this - few years ago acekard was the card everyone said to be almost better than cycloDS.

I get that M3i has the cable flashing for updates... but I have a NDSlite already - does acekard2i support the possibility to update it with DSlite so it could work with a firmware update?

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dont listen to jakob his m3 has been shitted on by some dog
and you havent had an m3 for 8 months but now they release atleast 1 update every week so we always have 100% compatibility

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Rockstar said:
dont listen to jakob his m3 has been shitted on by some dog
and you havent had an m3 for 8 months but now they release atleast 1 update every week so we always have 100% compatibility

Yeah... Just, That copyprotection games etc..?

Well, they can be patched... in time.

I today ordered a new microSD and Acekard2i as preparation.

I will maybe get DSi in near future, and maybe M3 as secondary...

At moment it was only price - 12USD for acekard was sure hit as "in preparation" for it.

I am well aware that at least not with sakura there is no 100% compability (or does copy protection bypassing count as 110% - it could, it is not like that is required straight)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: