DS Lite Doesn't turn on after top screen replaced (speakers not soldered)

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Thiinka, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Thiinka
    OP

Newcomer Thiinka Newbie

United States
    Welp, I've made an account here to get some help on why exactly this happened to my DS.

Since I haven't gotten the hang of soldering yet, and assumed that I could just play with headphones, I did not solder the speakers to the new screen. I don't know if that has anything to do with my problem but just in case.

When I try to turn on the DS with everything in place, the green light comes on, the sound clicks (with headphones) like when it turns on normally, but then the bottom screen flashes once and the whole system shuts down.

Is something loose inside (the top screen ribbon perhaps?), do I have to solder the speakers, or do I have to mess with something on the mainboard (I've seen things about F1 and F2 switches somewhere)? (but if i have to deal with that ribbon cable again ugh)

Thanks in advance for any help, and I'll provide more info if i have to!

2. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    Yeah, your screen must not be all the way in the connectors. The system wont turn on if the screens arent attached right. I had to undo a lot of work when i did mine.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  3. Pong20302000

Member Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Japan
    pretty sure there is a thing with the speakers and the buttons, when they line up it triggers something

4. Thiinka
    OP

Newcomer Thiinka Newbie

United States
    Thanks for the help, Bortz. The screen connector was a bit loose!

But now when I turn it on, even though the top screen does work, it starts out with max brightness but then darkens until it goes negative. I can still see what's happening, but it's just dark. If I fiddle with the screen power screw, it goes back to normal but then slowly fades to the darkness. Also there's a light patch shaped like a DragonQuest Slime in the middle.

Any thoughts?

5. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    I think that might be where my knowledge ends.

If you are sure the connectors are all snug, make sure nothing is getting crushed or anything. no bent wires and make sure the board isnt bent.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  6. Thiinka
    OP

Newcomer Thiinka Newbie

United States
    This is what the top screen looks like:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Thanks for your help though! It's a lot better than my old screen (got temperamental with tilting the lid for white pixels to go away)