Hacking DS Lite can't turn on after replacement cover

Clumsyhands

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
After my L button got loose I decided to buy a new case since I already had to open my current up to fix it.
While installing the components into the new case my brother messed with the speakers causing one cable to get loose.
I soldered this cable back on to the DS again and it seemed like it fitted now I think I might have hit the cable here (thats the flatwire I think)
Also when I placed the bottom case on the DS the power button inside broke off, this could be fixed by turning the DS on again with a long tiny object like a toothpick (ordered a new switch to fix this)

Now the problem is when I turn on the DS, the lower screen simply flashes white for a split second and the DS goes out again.

Is this caused by breaking the flatwire, and if so can it be fixed simply by replacing the topscreen with a new one?

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Check the Ribbon cable to the top screen. A White screen flash means the non-flashing screen is broken. This is usually caused by an inproperly secured ribbon cable.

lecture.gif
Be more careful while messing with electronics!!!

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
Chances are it's not inserted properly, lemme find you an image of what it should look like.

Clumsyhands

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Do you mean like the cable just isn't properly inserted?

Looks like it's inserted from top to bottom and the hinge is attached properly, but will await your picture and try to make it work again
smile.gif

and looks like the ribbon has a little bend on it, would replacing this ribbon (ordered a new screen, with ribbon) make the DS work again?

And yeah next time I'll give it all the time it needs
smile.gif

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
The bit where the cable connectings into the motherboard is where it's probably gone wrong.

But if you did break it, then yes; a new top screen will fix the issue (but you have to desolder the speakers off the old screen and back onto the new one).

Should be fully inserted as shown here:

c_30.jpg

Clumsyhands

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ShatteredScreens said:
The bit where the cable connectings into the motherboard is where it's probably gone wrong.

But if you did break it, then yes; a new top screen will fix the issue (but you have to desolder the speakers off the old screen and back onto the new one).

Oh god, yay.

been using that DS every single day, was afraid I might have to buy a new one, and soldering is no problem for me, I'm actually quite good at that particular part
tongue.gif

Clumsyhands

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
You really should have checked all your connections before ordering a new screen to be sure you needed it

Well I can still cancel the order in case it works
smile.gif

Which I know first thing in the morning ^^

Thank you Jamstruth and ShatteredScreens for the help was afraid everything was lost.

Clumsyhands

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Great news! it worked, cable was 1 mm out in one side, cancelled the order of the screen and just need to replace the power switch now
smile.gif

BlackDave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I encountered a DS lite that was broken off the hinges at the LEDs side... The bottom screen would flash but not the top. Lucky me the "accident" only displaced the ribbon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.