DS Linker Mini Review

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by kryptonite_013, Jan 13, 2007.

Jan 13, 2007

DS Linker Mini Review by kryptonite_013 at 9:02 PM (1,152 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. kryptonite_013
    OP

Newcomer kryptonite_013 Newbie

Canada
    I just received the DS-Linker from Kick Trading and I have to say it's pretty good. This is the first time I bought something like this for the DS and I recommend it.

Right out of the box it looked alright, I thought I was going to get a usb cord along with it but I didn't which was ok since I have like 3 of them lying around. I've heard of the DS-Linked having horribly slow uploading time, but I uploaded almos 850MB in less than 32 Minutes. One person claimed it took him 30 minutes to upload 3 games or something, which was weird.

The loader had a little problem where I had to jiggle the usb male part into it because the inside of the socket was bent upwards a little, but not really a problem.

The Menu is not too pretty, with 3D cubes spinning around with pictures of the game, It's alright, but annoying.

I haven't tried any homebrew apps except DS organize, which didn't work. It was on the third page and i tried to view it but it froze so I deleted it. Games work great, as if I were playing the real thing. One time though, the game was loading to another screen and it froze, i restarted and it didnt recognize the cartrage, I took it out and put it in again and it worked.

A lot of people don't trust the DS Linker but so far, I think it's pretty good. I have yet to try multiplayer features, but overall, if all you want to do is play games on this, then it's great.

2. kennyboy

Member kennyboy GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    wow.... based on your review it seems pretty bad to what is available on the market now [​IMG]

3. kryptonite_013
    OP

Canada
    If you say so.. but I'm just using this for games and music, and so far it's great.

4. Reikon

Newcomer Reikon Newbie

That sounds horribly slow.

5. Tokas

Member Tokas GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Damn! That really is slow! [​IMG]

6. kryptonite_013
    OP

Canada
    haha, you guys are just impatientI guess, I didn't have a problem with it. The one where the cord heated up, he said he used the cord that was shipped with the unit. I didn't get one, and I didn't feel any temperature change from my cord. That is probably why I didn't get a cord with it.

Even if it is slow, it still does the trick. putting music in takes seconds, games just a couple minutes literally, so I don't know why you people still think it's slow. But after all, I am comparing my speed to some other people who had this, saying it took hours just to put a couple games in.

I think it's great because it work, it's cheap, the size is manageable, and I don't need to buy another SD. I got it on sale and it came with a free pair of screen protectors.

but to each his own I guess, just don't avoid this product because if it's "slow" speed.

what would the typical time of uploading 850 Megabytes? not the smaller megabits just in case.

7. jocka

Newcomer jocka Member

Germany
    with 8 megabytes/second it will take 106,25 seconds to transfer 850 megabytes

compared to your transfer-rate:
    850 mb / 1920 seconds (60*32 min) = 0,4427 mb/sec

8. kennyboy

Singapore
    ah...to each his poison. as you've said, this is the first thingy you've bought for you DS and you're pleased with it, we're glad too.

So what's the price for it? A google search tells me about USD$69.95. For this price you can get another slot1 solution + 1g microsd.
    Not that we're trying to put you down.... but we've seen more, and you deserve better.

Anyway just enjoy your DS Linker. It's the games that matter, not the hardware.

9. kryptonite_013
    OP

Canada

Well I got mine for $54.95 USD and I live in canada. I'm wondering to what you are referring to. I didn't want to buy a micro SD, but I do agree an expandable memory would have been better. So what is that Slot 1 solution you are talking about? and how much would the Micro SD be? at the time, this was the cheapest I can find at kicktrading.

10. kennyboy

Singapore
    hmm...for you price it is the cheapest solution. A slot-1 solution is what u are using now, a cart in the top slot of the DS. micro-sd prices vary according to capacity. there are some low prices online buys in this forum itself.

but don't think too much about it. if it works it's good.